Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default save dial indicator

On 2008-06-06, Robert Swinney wrote:
Karl,
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

I haven't tried it, but this sounds like an excellent job for an ultrasonic
cleaner. Just add a bit of dish soap to the bath, and it should scrub the

Now there's something I wouldn't have thought of. I'll put it in my cleaner
and give it a try.

Cut open that funny little bent piece of tubing so's the ultrasons can
get in and clean it up inside.

It sounds as though you are thinking of a pressure gauge, not a
dial indicator.

I've cleaned sticky dial indicators with acetone or similar
things (Freon TF back when it was available) avoid getting the acetone
on the dial face or the crystal, and then re-lube with watch oil or
Starrett M1 instrument oil.

But usually -- the problem area is the bearings for the push rod
where they enter the case, not other parts of the indicator.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564