Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finish on PVC pipe/conduit

I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off white
color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed ID/OD. I'm
using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which is marked down
the pipe, but the finish still looks like water pipe/conduit. I'm making
them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option, I could spin them in the lathe
and take a light cut along the length but I'd like to avoid this if I can. I
thought about wiping over with solvent to soften and smooth the top surface
but this may leave "wipe" marks on the surface.

I tried to source clean PVC pipe without marking etc but I could not find
anything.

Does anyone have any other ideas on a quick simple way to finish the
external surface nicely?

TIA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:

I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off white
color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed ID/OD. I'm
using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which is marked down
the pipe, but the finish still looks like water pipe/conduit. I'm making
them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option, I could spin them in the lathe
and take a light cut along the length but I'd like to avoid this if I can. I
thought about wiping over with solvent to soften and smooth the top surface
but this may leave "wipe" marks on the surface.

I tried to source clean PVC pipe without marking etc but I could not find
anything.

Does anyone have any other ideas on a quick simple way to finish the
external surface nicely?

TIA

Is the same size available to make PVC furniture? That has no
markings and a better finish, but I don't know the physical details.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Den" wrote:
I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off white
color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed ID/OD. I'm
using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which is marked down
the pipe, but the finish still looks like water pipe/conduit. I'm making
them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option

What's wrong with paint?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I recently saw them making plastic screwdriver handles on "How its
Made". After machining, they just dipped (submerged) the parts in
"solvent" to make the parts shiny. This provided the micro-melting
needed to blend machining marks, I guess.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Den wrote:

I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off white
color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed ID/OD. I'm
using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which is marked down
the pipe, but the finish still looks like water pipe/conduit. I'm making
them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option, I could spin them in the lathe
and take a light cut along the length but I'd like to avoid this if I can. I
thought about wiping over with solvent to soften and smooth the top surface
but this may leave "wipe" marks on the surface.

I tried to source clean PVC pipe without marking etc but I could not find
anything.

Does anyone have any other ideas on a quick simple way to finish the
external surface nicely?

TIA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:
I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off white
color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed ID/OD. I'm
using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which is marked down
the pipe, but the finish still looks like water pipe/conduit. I'm making
them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option, I could spin them in the lathe
and take a light cut along the length but I'd like to avoid this if I can. I
thought about wiping over with solvent to soften and smooth the top surface
but this may leave "wipe" marks on the surface.

I tried to source clean PVC pipe without marking etc but I could not find
anything.

Does anyone have any other ideas on a quick simple way to finish the
external surface nicely?

TIA

Small enough that you could toss them in a vibratory cleaner? Just load
it with grit and let it prep the surface prior to the machine work.

Or buy a few cans of the Fusion paint. It works very well on un-prepped
plastic.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off white
color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed ID/OD. I'm
using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which is marked down
the pipe, but the finish still looks like water pipe/conduit. I'm making
them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option, I could spin them in the lathe
and take a light cut along the length but I'd like to avoid this if I can. I
thought about wiping over with solvent to soften and smooth the top surface
but this may leave "wipe" marks on the surface.

I tried to source clean PVC pipe without marking etc but I could not find
anything.

Does anyone have any other ideas on a quick simple way to finish the
external surface nicely?

TIA

Possibly a light sand-blasting???
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:12:25 +0800, "Den" wrote:

I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off white
color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed ID/OD. I'm
using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which is marked down
the pipe, but the finish still looks like water pipe/conduit. I'm making
them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option, I could spin them in the lathe
and take a light cut along the length but I'd like to avoid this if I can. I
thought about wiping over with solvent to soften and smooth the top surface
but this may leave "wipe" marks on the surface.

I tried to source clean PVC pipe without marking etc but I could not find
anything.

If you call the pipe manufacturer and order in sufficient quantities
to make a special order economical to run, they'll make darned near
anything you want. Exact ID and OD specified (or even square or
rectangular) if you'll pay for a set of special extrusion dies, exact
color and type material you want, plasticizers for added flexibility,
markings or no markings, etc.

If it's being produced as water pipe or electrical conduit for
retail sale that pipe HAS to have the required markings on it by law.
They might be able to turn off the label printer and run you a special
batch, but that's about all they can change easily.

Does anyone have any other ideas on a quick simple way to finish the
external surface nicely?

Dip or spray with the right solvent. No touch, ergo no brush marks.

But be careful on solvent selection - on some plastics (acrylics are
most sensitive) certain mis-matching petroleum solvents will cause the
surface to craze over time with a network of deep cracks, that can
even lead to mechanical failure.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Den wrote:

[...]

I dont think its available - I've looked. It's only 20mm OD x 16mm ID. I
imagine the furniture stuff is bigger than this - having said that I've
looked for and not been able to locate any furniture tube locally (in
Australia). Maybe I need to look harder! Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
"Den" wrote:
I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off
white
color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed ID/OD. I'm
using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which is marked
down
the pipe, but the finish still looks like water pipe/conduit. I'm making
them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option

What's wrong with paint?

--
Regards,

Hi Doug, it's very price sensitive, the time for painting would have quite
an impact.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yeah - tried that, not really a good finish. It gives a good finish on
machined standard gray PVC rod but doesn's work too well on the tube I'm
using. I dont know, it may have something to do with UV stabilisers or
something in the plastic tube.

news

Den wrote:
I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off
white color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed
ID/OD. I'm using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which
is marked down the pipe, but the finish still looks like water
pipe/conduit. I'm making them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option, I could spin them in the lathe
and take a light cut along the length but I'd like to avoid this if I
can. I thought about wiping over with solvent to soften and smooth the
top surface but this may leave "wipe" marks on the surface.

I tried to source clean PVC pipe without marking etc but I could not find
anything.

Does anyone have any other ideas on a quick simple way to finish the
external surface nicely?

TIA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks Bruce. My volume is so small that I'm not sure they'd even answer the
phone if I called.
The tubing is less than $10 a length off the shelf, the low cost is what
makes it attractive.

The solvent polishing is looking more attractive - especially if I don't
wipe it. Maybe MEK may be worth trying, its used with PVC so shouldn't have
any negative long term effects.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:45:42 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
spaco quickly quoth:

I recently saw them making plastic screwdriver handles on "How its
Made". After machining, they just dipped (submerged) the parts in
"solvent" to make the parts shiny. This provided the micro-melting
needed to blend machining marks, I guess.

Right, so just take your 20' sections of pvc pipe up your 48' ladder
and dip them in a solvent-filled 21' pipe and hang from your 55' high
shop trusses while they dry. Piece of cake, duck soup, spaco.

I'd suggest spraying with lacquer or shellac, both of which are
extremely thin and quick drying, but'll gloss things up in a hurry.

--
Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.