Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Finish on PVC pipe/conduit

Den wrote:
I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off white
color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed ID/OD. I'm
using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which is marked down
the pipe, but the finish still looks like water pipe/conduit. I'm making
them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option, I could spin them in the lathe
and take a light cut along the length but I'd like to avoid this if I can. I
thought about wiping over with solvent to soften and smooth the top surface
but this may leave "wipe" marks on the surface.

I tried to source clean PVC pipe without marking etc but I could not find
anything.

Does anyone have any other ideas on a quick simple way to finish the
external surface nicely?

TIA

Small enough that you could toss them in a vibratory cleaner? Just load
it with grit and let it prep the surface prior to the machine work.

Or buy a few cans of the Fusion paint. It works very well on un-prepped
plastic.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!