Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Den[_2_] Den[_2_] is offline

Default Finish on PVC pipe/conduit

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Den wrote:

I'm machining some small enclosures using PVC electrical conduit (off
white
color). The electrical condut just happens to have the needed ID/OD. I'm
using acetone to remove the manufacturers ink labelling which is marked
down
the pipe, but the finish still looks like water pipe/conduit. I'm making
them in batches of 20 or so.

Painting or dying is not really an option, I could spin them in the lathe
and take a light cut along the length but I'd like to avoid this if I
can. I
thought about wiping over with solvent to soften and smooth the top
surface
but this may leave "wipe" marks on the surface.

I tried to source clean PVC pipe without marking etc but I could not find
anything.

Does anyone have any other ideas on a quick simple way to finish the
external surface nicely?

TIA

Is the same size available to make PVC furniture? That has no
markings and a better finish, but I don't know the physical details.

I dont think its available - I've looked. It's only 20mm OD x 16mm ID. I
imagine the furniture stuff is bigger than this - having said that I've
looked for and not been able to locate any furniture tube locally (in
Australia). Maybe I need to look harder! Thanks.