Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sliding on concrete?

Anybody know what type of metal aggressive skaters use for sliding
on concrete? What are the properties that make it good for
"grinding".

I'm not planning to intentionally grind the concrete, but I'd like
some material that is durable and will slip on concrete. Conceivably
it can be disposable/replaceable if the replacement is not costly or
time-consuming. It is to be used as a short (about 1 inch) stopgap
between two skate wheels, so rocks and stuff (like a sharp angle
curb) cannot get in between and cause the second wheel to bind.

I'm considering using aluminum and coating it with super glue or
covering it with some material (to be recoated/recovered regularly).

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:59:33 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Anybody know what type of metal aggressive skaters use for sliding
on concrete? What are the properties that make it good for
"grinding".

I'm not planning to intentionally grind the concrete, but I'd like
some material that is durable and will slip on concrete. Conceivably
it can be disposable/replaceable if the replacement is not costly or
time-consuming. It is to be used as a short (about 1 inch) stopgap
between two skate wheels, so rocks and stuff (like a sharp angle
curb) cannot get in between and cause the second wheel to bind.

I'm considering using aluminum and coating it with super glue or
covering it with some material (to be recoated/recovered regularly).

Thanks.

I cant help you...but Im still chuckling 15 yrs after my kid came to
me and asked me to machine him replacement grinders for his skates.

I machined em out of Teflon. As I recall..he sprained his shoulder,
wrist, busted a couple fingers and whatnot before coming back to me
and asking for them to be machined out of something else.

So I made some from soft urathane.....chuckle....lol

My own skates have delrin grinders. Dont use em much anymore
though..at 54, I take too long to heal. So its easy skating now days.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am not really sure of the definition of grinding that you are referring
to, but from the description you supply, it appears that what you are
looking for are wear plates.

I would suggest HDPE or the even harder version of the Ultra high density
polyethylene. This is what they use in gravel chutes to resist wear. It is
slippery and will not impart wear on the curbs.

--
Roger Shoaf

"John Doe" wrote in message
news

Anybody know what type of metal aggressive skaters use for sliding
on concrete? What are the properties that make it good for
"grinding".

I'm not planning to intentionally grind the concrete, but I'd like
some material that is durable and will slip on concrete. Conceivably
it can be disposable/replaceable if the replacement is not costly or
time-consuming. It is to be used as a short (about 1 inch) stopgap
between two skate wheels, so rocks and stuff (like a sharp angle
curb) cannot get in between and cause the second wheel to bind.

I'm considering using aluminum and coating it with super glue or
covering it with some material (to be recoated/recovered regularly).

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

I am not really sure of the definition of grinding

I mean sliding.

that you are referring to, but from the description you supply, it
appears that what you are looking for are wear plates.

Yes, something durable that might slide on concrete.

I would suggest HDPE or the even harder version of the Ultra high
density polyethylene. This is what they use in gravel chutes to
resist wear. It is slippery and will not impart wear on the
curbs.

Right, not trying to damage the pavement, but slippery is the first
concern.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:50:49 GMT, John Doe wrote:

"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

I am not really sure of the definition of grinding

I mean sliding.

that you are referring to, but from the description you supply, it
appears that what you are looking for are wear plates.

Yes, something durable that might slide on concrete.

I would suggest HDPE or the even harder version of the Ultra high
density polyethylene. This is what they use in gravel chutes to
resist wear. It is slippery and will not impart wear on the
curbs.

Right, not trying to damage the pavement, but slippery is the first
concern.

Thanks.

HSS with well radiused edges!

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:
John Doe wrote:
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:
John Doe wrote:

It is to be used as a short (about 1 inch) stopgap between two
skate wheels, so rocks and stuff (like a sharp angle curb)
cannot get in between and cause the second wheel to bind.

I would suggest HDPE or the even harder version of the Ultra
high density polyethylene. This is what they use in gravel
chutes to resist wear. It is slippery and will not impart wear
on the curbs.

Right, not trying to damage the pavement, but slippery is the
first concern.

HSS with well radiused edges!

Maybe if it were used as a plate on something less rigid. I'm
looking at Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW). Might be
the same stuff used for truck bed liners. Hopefully the local
hardware Borg carries UHMW or something comparable. Tubing cut in
half lengthwise might work.

Mark Rand RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:
John Doe wrote:
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:
John Doe wrote:

It is to be used as a short (about 1 inch) stopgap between two
skate wheels, so rocks and stuff (like a sharp angle curb)
cannot get in between and cause the second wheel to bind.

I would suggest HDPE or the even harder version of the Ultra
high density polyethylene. This is what they use in gravel
chutes to resist wear. It is slippery and will not impart wear
on the curbs.

Right, not trying to damage the pavement, but slippery is the
first concern.

HSS with well radiused edges!

Maybe if it were used as a plate on something less rigid. I'm
looking at Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW). Might be
the same stuff used for truck bed liners. Hopefully the local
hardware Borg carries UHMW or something comparable. Tubing cut in
half lengthwise might work.

McMaster-Carr carries it - all different shapes and sizes.
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

I would suggest HDPE or the even harder version of the Ultra
high density polyethylene.

McMaster-Carr carries it - all different shapes and sizes.

I'm going to try UHMW tubing, cut in half lengthwise and shaped a
little more.

Thanks for the replies, educational as usual.