Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What can you do with an arbor press?

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:03:15 -0600, Ignoramus32544
wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

I use mine a lot for pressing in flush PEM sheet metal fasteners. Made
the die from a bit of 4140 steel, didn't bother heat treating it.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32544 wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Northern Tool sells a press brake to use in one. Another application is
hydraulic press forming sheet metal parts using a male die and a rubber pad.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Robert Swinney wrote:

Sphero,

What means PEM sheet metal fasteners ?

PEM nuts or standoffs/spacers. You drill a hole and press the nut
into aluminum. There are several styles, all made by PEM. I would give
you a link, but every time I try to do a Google search I get a screen to
type in some BS code.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:40:04 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:

Sphero,

What means PEM sheet metal fasteners ?

PEM nuts or standoffs/spacers. You drill a hole and press the nut
into aluminum. There are several styles, all made by PEM. I would give
you a link, but every time I try to do a Google search I get a screen to
type in some BS code.

Thanks.. here's a link:-

http://www.pemnet.com/fastening_prod...for+Sheetmetal

McMaster sells some, but I think they are knock-offs.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32544 wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Nut cracker - works well on pecans, presumably other nuts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Crush aluminum cans for recycling? G

We use them for pressing bearings and gears and the like... But we also use
them for manual straightening of bent parts, etc. If you have one handy,
it'll become useful on different projects as you think through what you need
to do.

It's like my hydraulic 20 ton bottle / car jack... I'm currently lifting my
house with it and have leveled old porches, etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

"Ignoramus32544" wrote in message
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Ignoramus32544 wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Nut cracker - works well on pecans, presumably other nuts.

Now that's just not right! That's just plain nuts! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm planning to adapt mine for sheet metal punching. Supposedly can
be used for broaching, but I have not tried that yet. Otherwise I just
use mine for press fit applications.

Alan

"Ignoramus32544" wrote in message ...
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32544 wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Hi, I have stairs at home. They can be used to go up and down. What can I
do with them, are they useful me?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-03, Alan Wright wrote:

I'm planning to adapt mine for sheet metal punching. Supposedly can
be used for broaching, but I have not tried that yet. Otherwise I just
use mine for press fit applications.

Will you make your own dies, or will you buy them?

Alan

"Ignoramus32544" wrote in message ...
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-03, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus32544 wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Hi, I have stairs at home. They can be used to go up and down. What can I
do with them, are they useful me?

Just throw all your FreeBSD computers down those stairs Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

I picked up a set of keyway broaches for mine. Haven't used them yet,
but I haven't welded up the stand either.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:56:25 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

http://tinyurl.com/2j8nwj

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:56:25 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus32544 wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Nut cracker - works well on pecans, presumably other nuts.

Will it crack black walnuts?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus32544 wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Nut cracker - works well on pecans, presumably other nuts.

Will it crack black walnuts?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Oh, no not another racist from England!

Grant :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.pemnet.com

PEM - Self-Clinching Fasteners

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Robert Swinney wrote:
Sphero,

What means PEM sheet metal fasteners ?

PEM nuts or standoffs/spacers. You drill a hole and press the nut
into aluminum. There are several styles, all made by PEM. I would give
you a link, but every time I try to do a Google search I get a screen to
type in some BS code.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a set of punches and dies, and I just plan to make a pair of holders
and some kind of alignment mechanism.

Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus32544 wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Nut cracker - works well on pecans, presumably other nuts.

Will it crack black walnuts?

Paint one, and find out for yourself. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus32544 wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Nut cracker - works well on pecans, presumably other nuts.

Will it crack black walnuts?

Paint one, and find out for yourself. ;-)

No need for paint, just gather them up from the driveway where they
have been spread to get the hulls knocked loose.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Nut cracker - works well on pecans, presumably other nuts.
Will it crack black walnuts?

Paint one, and find out for yourself. ;-)

No need for paint, just gather them up from the driveway where they
have been spread to get the hulls knocked loose.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

my grandfather used to husk black walnuts that way, put them on the
driveway. i tried that this past fall, the squirrels stole EVERY LAST ONE
of them. all i had was a pile of hulls.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

Pressing insulation displacement cable connectors onto ribbon cable.
They all call for custom tooling of course, but if you only plan to do
a few of that style you can make up your own tooling just fancy enough
to do what you need - light strap and angle steel and a few tack welds
to hold it all in position. As long as both halves stay parallel and
the thrust goes straight down, it works...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:

my grandfather used to husk black walnuts that way, put them on the
driveway. i tried that this past fall, the squirrels stole EVERY LAST ONE
of them. all I had was a pile of hulls.

They did you a favor. You're just supposed to use the hulls. At
least that was what MY grandfather used. They used the walnuts in cakes
and to snack on, and collected the hulls to patch their dirt road.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Paint one, and find out for yourself. ;-)

No need for paint, just gather them up from the driveway where they
have been spread to get the hulls knocked loose.

You missed the smiley. My grandfather had a huge cast iron pot where
he tossed them for the outer shell to rot, and collect the walnut oil.
It always bugged me that he threw away gallons of walnut oil, every
year.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32544 writes:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it.

ROCKETS!

http://www.truetex.com/stinger.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Keyway broaching, spline broaching, hex and square broaching. Spring
compressor for some mechanical assembly jobs. The list goes on and on and is
only limited by your imagination.
Steve

"Ignoramus32544" wrote in message
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 3, 2:03*pm, Ignoramus32544 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32544.invalid wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I use mine to modulate or sort of amplify hammer blows. I recently
forged the end of a bit of tubing very neatly closed and flat by
pressing the part previously flattened in a vise between the ram and a
spacer block, and then whacking the ram with a sledge while the
pressure was still applied. The result was almost as if the sides of
tubing were brazed together, it was that tightly closed. Much better
results than either method alone; truly a synergetic combination.

You could lathe drill the ram in a four-jaw chuck to hold your stamps
and add a cross pin to align them for very neat stamping of letters
and numbers.

The ram has two ends and on mine I have one slightly crowned while the
other is dead flat. YMMV; whatever two uses you have.

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:56:20 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Ignoramus32544 writes:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it.

ROCKETS!

http://www.truetex.com/stinger.htm

I wonder how well this would scale up to 2".......

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-03, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus32544 wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Hi, I have stairs at home. They can be used to go up and down. What can I
do with them, are they useful me?

Just throw all your FreeBSD computers down those stairs Ken.

Then you can pick them up and talk about your clever find, and post here
asking people if a computer can be used for anything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32544" wrote in message
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Schnitzel! I've use my 60 ton Bliss.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-03, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus32544 wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

If a clarinet cracks they use to lathe out a band around the body of the
instrument then shrink a metal band flush into the body with an arbor press.

LLB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Austin wrote:
Ignoramus32544 wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.
I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.
Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

They work really well for pressing arbors.

I take it an adapter is necessary for pressing pergolas?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

Pressing insulation displacement cable connectors onto ribbon cable.
They all call for custom tooling of course, but if you only plan to do
a few of that style you can make up your own tooling just fancy enough
to do what you need - light strap and angle steel and a few tack welds
to hold it all in position. As long as both halves stay parallel and
the thrust goes straight down, it works...

I did all the custom cables for Juniors "showpiece" computer with two
lengths of 1/4" Plexiglas hinged at one end, and a large pair of
channel locks.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

They all call for custom tooling of course, but if you only plan to do
a few of that style you can make up your own tooling just fancy enough
to do what you need - light strap and angle steel and a few tack welds
to hold it all in position. As long as both halves stay parallel and
the thrust goes straight down, it works...

I did all the custom cables for Juniors "showpiece" computer with two
lengths of 1/4" Plexiglas hinged at one end, and a large pair of
channel locks.

We used a 1/2 ton arbor press to make IDC connectors at Microdyne.
The dip headers were the worst. They wanted to drill aluminum to clear
the pins, but I always used a stack of .1" perfboard. They had a couple
shelves full of tooling for the fifty or so different connectors we
used.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

Pressing insulation displacement cable connectors onto ribbon cable.
They all call for custom tooling of course, but if you only plan to do
a few of that style you can make up your own tooling just fancy enough
to do what you need - light strap and angle steel and a few tack welds
to hold it all in position. As long as both halves stay parallel and
the thrust goes straight down, it works...

I did all the custom cables for Juniors "showpiece" computer with two
lengths of 1/4" Plexiglas hinged at one end, and a large pair of
channel locks.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Modern IDC connectors have enough guides that you don't really need
anything more than a downward motion for small scale production and
prototypes. Even the cheapest arbor presses have gibs to keep the ram
fairly closely in line. The only tricky one I've run into is the
ribbon-to-DIP solder type and Michael's trick of using a stack of perf
board works well on that. A good vise/vice, especially the small ones
with plastic jaws, works too.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Modern IDC connectors have enough guides that you don't really need
anything more than a downward motion for small scale production and
prototypes. Even the cheapest arbor presses have gibs to keep the ram
fairly closely in line. The only tricky one I've run into is the
ribbon-to-DIP solder type and Michael's trick of using a stack of perf
board works well on that. A good vise/vice, especially the small ones
with plastic jaws, works too.

I've used a $5, 4 inch drill press vise with smooth jaws and the
perfboard in a pinch. One like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30999
but I picked it up from a tool dealer at a flea market to hold some
connectors while I soldered cables to them.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Steve Austin wrote:

Ignoramus32544 wrote:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.
I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.
Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

They work really well for pressing arbors.

I take it an adapter is necessary for pressing pergolas?

--Winston

Perhaps someone could describe an American? arbour press.

Here in the UK its got a square ram with teeth on it like a rack, onto
the rack is a gear wheel. that then has a handle which you use to turn
the gear which brings down or up the rack/ram.
Not very powerful in my experience.
Now what I have and have used for many years are what we call fly
presses. Hand operated of course. the top arm flies round!
These have a 2 to 4 start thread in the head on the top of which is a
horizontal arm with heavy weights/balls of cast iron. We rate them in
tonnage, from as little as 1 ton to big ones up to 10 tons.

Openthroat or closed gothic arch shape.
I use them for allsortsof operations.
More in due course on tooling etc if anyone is interested.

Ted
Dorset UK.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner: I have used a 1-ton arbor press to make 3/4" i.d. rockets.
For anything much larger, a heavier press would be needed.

Estes-size rocket motors are fairly easy to make. The right size
paper tubing is sold at
http://www.hobbyhorse.com/pyrotubes/index.shtml under "4 oz tubes".

There are people out there who make 3" dia blackpowder rockets using
10 or 20 ton hydraulic presses....

Best -- Terry

wrote:

Ignoramus32544 writes:

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it.

ROCKETS!

http://www.truetex.com/stinger.htm

I wonder how well this would scale up to 2".......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:

Perhaps someone could describe an American? arbour press.

Here in the UK its got a square ram with teeth on it like a rack, onto
the rack is a gear wheel. that then has a handle which you use to turn
the gear which brings down or up the rack/ram.

Yes. Just so. Some are ratcheting (as Iggys is).

Not very powerful in my experience.

Doesn't need to be very powerful for pressing bearings or blanking small parts.

Now what I have and have used for many years are what we call fly
presses. Hand operated of course. the top arm flies round!
These have a 2 to 4 start thread in the head on the top of which is a
horizontal arm with heavy weights/balls of cast iron. We rate them in
tonnage, from as little as 1 ton to big ones up to 10 tons.

How would one control depth? Could one use it to press a bearing into a hole?

Openthroat or closed gothic arch shape.
I use them for allsortsof operations.
More in due course on tooling etc if anyone is interested.

Quite interested. Thanks!

--Len