Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What can you do with an arbor press?

Yup, that's an arbor press to us, too.
Many blacksmiths use flypresses here. There are a couple of
importers of blacksmithing tooling that have started importing several
sizes recently (last 10 years).
The difference, as I see it, is the the arbor press is usually used
to apply steady pressure for driving broaches, pressing in and out
bearings,etc. (within their range of power, of course)
The flypress is usually used where the speed of the descending ram is
used to impress a tool into the work. The flypresses that I have seen
also have more fixturing capability.
And yes, many of them scare the heck out of me with the big swirling
weight. Get your head in the way and bye-bye life on earth.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pressing mandrels in and out of lathe turned work.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-05, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Gerald Miller wrote:

They all call for custom tooling of course, but if you only plan to do
a few of that style you can make up your own tooling just fancy enough
to do what you need - light strap and angle steel and a few tack welds
to hold it all in position. As long as both halves stay parallel and
the thrust goes straight down, it works...

I did all the custom cables for Juniors "showpiece" computer with two
lengths of 1/4" Plexiglas hinged at one end, and a large pair of
channel locks.

We used a 1/2 ton arbor press to make IDC connectors at Microdyne.
The dip headers were the worst. They wanted to drill aluminum to clear
the pins, but I always used a stack of .1" perfboard. They had a couple
shelves full of tooling for the fifty or so different connectors we
used.

I was lucky to come across a T&B Ainsley press with several sets
of dies and presser bars at a hamfest, and we had a cheaper one at work
with dies for different connectors which I was able to machine up
duplicates for -- and stamp matching ID numbers into them so I could
tell what was for what.

The DIP ones (I only had the dies for the 0.600 center rows
IIRC) had slots milled into the die at the proper spacing -- and the
thickness of the die was critical. (The press had an over-center toggle
lever and a micrometer adjustment for the proper compression depth,
while the one which was at work was simply preset for a precise 1.000"
depth fully closed.)

The dies for the ribbon cable IDC connectors had a slot just the
right width milled to just he right depth, and a second slot at right
angles to allow the key to center whatever length in the die.

There were three presser bars. One for most things. Another for
thicker connectors (which also had to touch the baseplate through a
milled slot in the die), and a third with notches milled in it to clear
the ears on the DC-15, DB-25, D?-37 and DD-50 connectors, since the ears
stuck up over the back bar just a bit when it was fully closed.

I also picked up at the same hamfest (or perhaps the next one)
another cable press which did not handle nearly as many connectors, but
which had something that the other did not -- a blade for a clean
cut-off of the ribbon cable at a proper 90 degrees. Needless to say, I
still have both.

But there was a tool before that from Vector made from what
looked like a 1/2 scale model of a 1/2" arbor press which was normally
used for installing rows of wire-wrap pins into pre-drilled 0.100" grid
boards to make IDC male connectors. And there were female dies for it
too -- not nearly as good, but a way to do things until the nice tools
came along. As an indication of the relative prices, I actually bought
that *new*. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[...]

The only cables I make these days are to replace damaged or missing
cables in donated computers. Considering that i have a couple 55 gal
drums full of salvaged cables, I rarely have to dig out those home made
dies.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:

Perhaps someone could describe an American? arbour press.

Here in the UK its got a square ram with teeth on it like a rack, onto
the rack is a gear wheel. that then has a handle which you use to turn
the gear which brings down or up the rack/ram.

Yes. Just so. Some are ratcheting (as Iggys is).

Not very powerful in my experience.

Doesn't need to be very powerful for pressing bearings or blanking small
parts.

Now what I have and have used for many years are what we call fly
presses. Hand operated of course. the top arm flies round!
These have a 2 to 4 start thread in the head on the top of which is a
horizontal arm with heavy weights/balls of cast iron. We rate them in
tonnage, from as little as 1 ton to big ones up to 10 tons.

How would one control depth? Could one use it to press a bearing into a
hole?

Openthroat or closed gothic arch shape.
I use them for allsortsof operations.
More in due course on tooling etc if anyone is interested.

Quite interested. Thanks!

--Len

Press bearings?
Yes, no problem but the action is somewhat different.
Theres no load applied till the moving part meets the bearing or press
tool . then the stored energy in the rotating ball weights do the work.
Depending on how fast you pull the handle which hangsdown from the upper
cross arm, determines how much energy you get out of the moving part.

So a 1 ton fly press worked fast will give you a working load of 1 ton,
before it stops rotating
a 10 ton is the same.BUT you nee to have it fixed more than securely yo
a wall or floor otherwise it will turn itself off a bench!!
As for tooling, one can use whats called a die set. this is a male
moving part, located by pair of upright guides and a fixed female part
below it n a base plate..
The upper part has a 1in dia spigot which is located in the sliding
part of the fly press. The bottom part is fixed to the flypress base
usually over a hole.

or
use whats called open tooling.
This works fine if the fly press is a good one with the sliding part
set justso as theres no free movemnt in the x y planes but free to mov
up or dowm.
The female die is held in whats called here a bolster.
this isof cast iron with a coupleof set screws 3/8th in which hold the
die in place. the bolster is bolted again to the base plate of the fly
press.
Nowto align open tooling what you do is fix the male die in the
sliding part , lower it into the female die then bolt up the bolster in
this position.

then away you go. you can blank out hundreds of parts without the dies
losing alignment.
On my 10tonner, I can blank 1/8th annealed brass 3in by 2in ovals
However given full power you need to be careful.
If you happen to slip and the arm hits you in the chest it will break
your ribs and knock you down,
Happened to me.

Ted
Dorset
UK

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:
(...)
More in due course on tooling etc if anyone is interested.

Quite interested. Thanks!

--Len

Press bearings?
Yes, no problem but the action is somewhat different.
Theres no load applied till the moving part meets the bearing or press
tool . then the stored energy in the rotating ball weights do the work.
Depending on how fast you pull the handle which hangsdown from the upper
cross arm, determines how much energy you get out of the moving part.

(...)

If you happen to slip and the arm hits you in the chest it will break
your ribs and knock you down,
Happened to me.

Based on the potential excitement of this tool, I think I will opt for
a hydraulic press. Thanks for the info.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-06, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I was lucky to come across a T&B Ainsley press with several sets
of dies and presser bars at a hamfest, and we had a cheaper one at work
with dies for different connectors which I was able to machine up
duplicates for -- and stamp matching ID numbers into them so I could
tell what was for what.

[ ... lots snipped ... ]

The only cables I make these days are to replace damaged or missing
cables in donated computers. Considering that i have a couple 55 gal
drums full of salvaged cables, I rarely have to dig out those home made
dies.

Well ... I wind up having to make cables for less common styles
of computers or drive boxes, so a drum full of cables from Intel boxes
for Windows will often not do what I need -- either because of really
strange routing, or because the drives are 50-pin or 68-pin SCSI instead
of IDE.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-06, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[...]

I have a five gallon bucket of SCSI cables and controllers. Some of
these computers were high end graphics design systems. Some 50 pin, and
several of the newer SCSI types. I still have a couple new, small SCSI
hard drives, and a few CDROM drives. I think I still have a new dual
external SCSI CDROM enclosure, somewhere. I scrapped a lot of NCR and
other minicomputers over the years, and kept plenty of spare cables. I
even had a NCR SCSI controller for the older larger minicomputer hard
drives, but the thing drew more power than my computer, and the drives
would have heated my house.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 3, 2008 at 11:03:15 AM UTC-8, Ignoramus32544 wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Fun Fact: Black walnut, is one of the toughest nuts to crack open. You might need an arbor press, but id go with the hydrolic.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What did you do with an arbor press?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 12:44:14 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

Ha! That's how I started. I put a piece of heavy canvas over the
walnut and gave it a moderate bang with my 3-pound maul. Those little
bits of shell can really dig into your feet, if you don't vacuum them
up!

The big vise is much neater.

I haven't tried them but have seen at least two special crackers that
are suppose to work good with black walnuts.

I bought a half-ton arbor press with Dad and walnuts in mind. He liked
his method better. I think he enjoyed Mom's distress. She would mumble,
talk to herself as she swept up after his cracking sessions...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Ha! That's how I started. I put a piece of heavy canvas over the
walnut and gave it a moderate bang with my 3-pound maul. Those little
bits of shell can really dig into your feet, if you don't vacuum them
up!

The big vise is much neater.

I haven't tried them but have seen at least two special crackers that
are suppose to work good with black walnuts.

I bought a half-ton arbor press with Dad and walnuts in mind. He liked
his method better. I think he enjoyed Mom's distress. She would mumble,
talk to herself as she swept up after his cracking sessions...

G! It sounds like your mom was a very tolerant woman. She probably
was like my mother. When I disassembled a pair of SU carburetors on
the kitchen table, with a few drops of gasoline still in them, her
reaction was "Just let me know if you won't have it cleaned up before
dinner. And please open a window." g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, wrote:
On Monday, March 3, 2008 at 11:03:15 AM UTC-8, Ignoramus32544 wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So, so long ago.

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with it.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

A good question. Was that ever answered? I make "Metal Earth" models
from time to time and have improvised my own miniature brake for those.
With an arbor press insert, I could step up to heavier metals.

Anything else?

I built an insert for mine that holds a standard trapezoidal utility
knife blade and use it as a paper trimmer / poor man's die cutter. For a
modular origami project, I needed a whole lot of hexagonal shaped paper.
I was very dissatified with quality of the cuts on the pivot handle
paper cutters when doing a stack of paper at once.

That insert allowed me to just trim stacks of square origami paper
quickly with beautifully clean cuts. (Although if I needed to cut a line
longer than two inches or so, that would be another story.) I'd like to
someday move on to papel picado type cuts, but I'm not sure the best way
forward there. Is there a good place to get hobbiest quantities of steel
rule blades?

Elijah
------
and other non-walnut arbor press ideas welcome
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

The squirrels gnaw little holes in the shell, and somehow get the meat out.
Seems like a VERY slow process. I guess they have not invented the arbor
press, yet.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

Having been bitten by a squirrel, yes, NEEDLE sharp teeth and really
powerful jaws.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 13:53:54 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

The squirrels gnaw little holes in the shell, and somehow get the meat out.
Seems like a VERY slow process. I guess they have not invented the arbor
press, yet.

Jon

I'm going to have to take my binoculars to a nearby park one day and
watch them. There is a big black walnut tree in one just a few hundred
yards from my house.

It makes me think of the old story about why big trout won't eat
mayflies smaller than a size 14 hook: they use more energy rising to
the fly than they get from eating it.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:55:59 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

I'm going to have to take my binoculars to a nearby park one day and
watch them. There is a big black walnut tree in one just a few hundred
yards from my house.

It makes me think of the old story about why big trout won't eat
mayflies smaller than a size 14 hook: they use more energy rising to
the fly than they get from eating it.

I can pick some old gnawings up, take some pics if you want. Was
standing in pile of them last Sunday while a pesky Red Squirrel was in
my crosshairs

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:02:02 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

I can pick some old gnawings up, take some pics if you want. Was
standing in pile of them last Sunday while a pesky Red Squirrel was in
my crosshairs

Nah, go check out this youtube search:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...l+black+walnut

Way better than I can get with my old camera gear...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Eli the Bearded" wrote in message
I built an insert for mine that holds a standard trapezoidal utility
knife blade and use it as a paper trimmer / poor man's die cutter. For a
modular origami project, I needed a whole lot of hexagonal shaped paper.
I was very dissatified with quality of the cuts on the pivot handle
paper cutters when doing a stack of paper at once.

That insert allowed me to just trim stacks of square origami paper
quickly with beautifully clean cuts. (Although if I needed to cut a line
longer than two inches or so, that would be another story.) I'd like to
someday move on to papel picado type cuts, but I'm not sure the best way
forward there. Is there a good place to get hobbiest quantities of steel
rule blades?

Elijah

Never bought just the die stock from them but have had several dies made at
http://www.acesteelruledies.com/ in NJ and was very happy with the service.
I'm sure they would sell you some pieces of blade stock - they offer bent
dies where they shape them and you put them in a wood holder so this would
just be simple straight pieces. They will also do the punching. We would
have a die made, send them the foam rubber stock, they would do the punching
and ship everything to us. Next time I'd send the die and more stock back,
they would punch and return it all, etc.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

I can pick some old gnawings up, take some pics if you want. Was
standing in pile of them last Sunday while a pesky Red Squirrel was in
my crosshairs

Nah, go check out this youtube search:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...l+black+walnut

Way better than I can get with my old camera gear...

Oh, wow, that;s great. Thanks, Leon. Those are some teeth. I never
paid much attention to them -- they have less of a challenge eating
the peaches off of my tree. g

YouTube is amazing. What can't you find there these days?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

The squirrels gnaw little holes in the shell, and somehow get the meat out.
Seems like a VERY slow process. I guess they have not invented the arbor
press, yet.

No, but otters have invented the anvil. Ever see them cracking clams
on their chests, a rock held between their leg and chest?

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2018-03-14, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 11:57:35 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

[ ... ]

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

Done many times. We adopted a baby squirrel who trapped himself
in the service ceiling at work (through a decorative brick grille, which
his mother could not fit through), and we fed him and handled him until
he was ready to go back outdoors. (We took him out and showed him,
trees a number of times, before he got the idea. :-)

He never bit us. He would run spiraling around one of us, jump
to the other and spiral back down to ground level, so I guess that we
were serving the function of trees at that period. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 15 Mar 2018 00:54:32 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2018-03-14, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 11:57:35 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

[ ... ]

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

Try picking a squirrel up sometime. HSS has nothing on their
chompers ;-)

Done many times. We adopted a baby squirrel who trapped himself
in the service ceiling at work (through a decorative brick grille, which
his mother could not fit through), and we fed him and handled him until
he was ready to go back outdoors. (We took him out and showed him,
trees a number of times, before he got the idea. :-)

He never bit us. He would run spiraling around one of us, jump
to the other and spiral back down to ground level, so I guess that we
were serving the function of trees at that period. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Just don't let'em get inside your pantleg. The little buggers don't
know nuts from nuts
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2018-03-14, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 11:57:35 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Ray Stevens made my home town of Pascagoula famous with his song
"Mississippi Squirrel Revival", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU
Local radio stations were logging 1000 request calls per hour when it first
came out, in a town of 26,000 or so :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2018-03-14, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 11:57:35 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Wouldn't be a problem for Ed ****dress. He doesmt weather pants, and
instead of nuts, he has a **** that produces a repellant strong
enough to repel any creature on the North American continent.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:42:21 -0400, Boris Mohar
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 06:28:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, March 3, 2008 at 11:03:15 AM UTC-8, Ignoramus32544 wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Fun Fact: Black walnut, is one of the toughest nuts to crack open. You might need an arbor press, but id go with the hydrolic.

This year was especially abundant for Black Walnuts. I crack them in a vise
but after one hour or more soak in water shells crack much easier. Flush cut
wire cutters work great for getting to the meat.

https://imgur.com/a/BCeNt

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

So you just husk them and soak the walnuts for an hour? And the
"flush-cur" wire cutters are what, diagonal cutters?

That "uinknown" Volvo part looks like a ball-joint socket, BTW,
possibly for a steering arm.

And Loaraine's paintings are beautiful and mysterious.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:11:05 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 11:57:46 AM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 08:47:05 -0700, Stumpy
wrote:

On 03/14/2018 06:28 AM, wrote:
On Monday, March 3, 2008 at 11:03:15 AM UTC-8, Ignoramus32544 wrote:
Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with
it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not
what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide
an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is
definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal
pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things
exist?

Anything else?

Fun Fact: Black walnut, is one of the toughest nuts to crack open. You might need an arbor press, but id go with the hydrolic.

I use a 1/2 ton which is marginal, 1 ton would be better. If it was
hydraulic, I couldn't use it on my dining room table.

I crack black walnuts in my big-mutha bench vise. They are amazingly
tough; I'm amazed that the squirrels can chop through the shells.

--
Ed Huntress

An excellent demonstration of why you should keep your fingers away from squirrel choppers. Parrots and the like can also chop through some pretty tough shells.

Hmm. So, I'll stay away from live squirrels and parrots. Most of my
experience with squirrels comes after they have a .22 caliber hole
through their head.

I guess I told the story about the flying squirrel we had in our
living room last fall. Damn, they have big eyes. I had to catch him in
my trout landing net, taped to the end of a crab net. The crab net
mesh let him go right through.

Local F&G folks say we don't see them ordinarily because they're
nocturnal. He apparently got in through an insulation-ventilation hole
in my attic.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

John James Audubon on acid. (That's a compliment.)

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/14/2018 2:55 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

YouTube is amazing. What can't you find there these days?

Youtube has dropped a lot of politically incorrect gun videos.

David

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I husk them right after picking. Than I stir them in five gal. bucket with
some gravel and water using a power drill and a reinforced paint stirrer.
That removes the remaining snot from the shells. I stored them for a month
before started shelling. They do have a distinct aroma that needs getting
used to.

That "uinknown" Volvo part looks like a ball-joint socket, BTW,
possibly for a steering arm.

And Loaraine's paintings are beautiful and mysterious.

Thank you.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks, Boris. If I get over to the northwestern part of NJ, where
there are more black walnuts on the public lands -- before the
squirrels get them -- I'll know what to try.

--
Ed Huntress