Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Project help

Hello. I am trying to create this:
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...a=bobbin+saver

except in a straight version, not round. I have a piece of 1/8-inch
diameter silicone tubing and a piece of 1/4-inch diameter silicone
tubing.

My question is: Is there a way to calculate how wide I should cut the
slit/opening so that the piece will grip different sizes?
Any information about this will be appreciated.

Regards,
Amy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RLM RLM is offline

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:48:05 -0800, amy wrote:

Hello. I am trying to create this:
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...a=bobbin+saver

except in a straight version, not round. I have a piece of 1/8-inch
diameter silicone tubing and a piece of 1/4-inch diameter silicone
tubing.

My question is: Is there a way to calculate how wide I should cut the
slit/opening so that the piece will grip different sizes?
Any information about this will be appreciated.

Regards,
Amy

Get a piece of old garden hose and cut a slit in it length wise to hold
bobbins.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Hello. I am trying to create this:
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...a=bobbin+saver

except in a straight version, not round. I have a piece of 1/8-inch
diameter silicone tubing and a piece of 1/4-inch diameter silicone
tubing.

My question is: Is there a way to calculate how wide I should cut the
slit/opening so that the piece will grip different sizes?
Any information about this will be appreciated.

First - what sizes are your bobbins (diameter)? Unless they are much
smaller than I think, your tubing will be much too small. For instance,
my wife's bobbins are 13/16" diameter. Your 1/4" tubing would not come
close to holding them.

A somewhat different approach might be easier. If you cut pieces of
tubing long enough to hold *one* bobbin and a tubing size that with a
single slit it would open enough, you would have something like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/bobbin.jpg
The bobbin is 13/16" diameter and the tubing 9/16" *inside* diameter.

If you still wanted a single length, with a permanent opening, the ID of
the tubing would be somewhat less than the bobbin's diam, so that the
tubing would grab it. Then the strip removed would be enough to allow
the bobbin in & out readily, just so it's less than 1/2 the
circumference. E.g., for a 13/16 bobbin, I would use 3/4" ID tubing,
with a 1/2 - 3/4" strip removed.

It does depend upon the tubing material and its thickness (wall size).
Some experimentation is in order.

HTH,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got it. There are rolled/slit thin glossy plastic tubing
available-used to wrap around an unsightly closet hanger pole. Lowes,
etc. They are perfect inside diameter for 13/16" bobbin. You would cut
the tubing lengthwise to allow about 1/2"- to 5/8" opening to view and
extract the bobbins.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:
Hello. I am trying to create this:
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...a=bobbin+saver

except in a straight version, not round. I have a piece of 1/8-inch
diameter silicone tubing and a piece of 1/4-inch diameter silicone
tubing.

My question is: Is there a way to calculate how wide I should cut the
slit/opening so that the piece will grip different sizes?
Any information about this will be appreciated.

Regards,
Amy

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Hello. I am trying to create this:
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...a=bobbin+saver

except in a straight version, not round. I have a piece of 1/8-inch
diameter silicone tubing and a piece of 1/4-inch diameter silicone
tubing.

My question is: Is there a way to calculate how wide I should cut the
slit/opening so that the piece will grip different sizes?
Any information about this will be appreciated.

Regards,
Amy

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Lowes also sells various sizes of vinyl tubing - pick & choose to
suit.
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

With more information a calculation might be made. It can be complex
in life.

I suggest making test cuts and see experimentally. That is faster and true.
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
Hello. I am trying to create this:
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...a=bobbin+saver

except in a straight version, not round. I have a piece of 1/8-inch
diameter silicone tubing and a piece of 1/4-inch diameter silicone
tubing.

My question is: Is there a way to calculate how wide I should cut the
slit/opening so that the piece will grip different sizes?
Any information about this will be appreciated.

Regards,
Amy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 24, 12:48*am, wrote:
Hello. *I am trying to create this:http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...a=bobbin+saver

except in a straight version, not round. *I have a piece of 1/8-inch
diametersiliconetubingand a piece of 1/4-inch diametersiliconetubing.

My question is: *Is there a way to calculate how wide I should cut the
slit/opening so that the piece will grip different sizes?
Any information about this will be appreciated.

Regards,
Amy

Thank you all for your replies.

RLM--I am not going to use the piece to hold bobbins. I just wanted
an understanding of how to determine the width of the slit and still
have it grip. As it turns out, a piece of garden hose will be too
large.

Bob Engelhardt--Thank you for the detailed explanation. This will
help me figure out what I need.

JR North--I tried to search for such an item.. Do you happen to know
more about it or what it's called?

Ken Sterling--I haven't tried Lowe's, but I have tried my local Home
Depot. They don't have the tubing I need.

Martin H. Eastburn--I will make test cuts to experiment. For now, I
have a limited amount of tubing, so I thought if I could narrow down
the number of test cuts to do, it will help.

Again, thank you for your responses. I appreciate your efforts.

Regards,

Amy

£100,000.00 Project... tazz8u Home Repair 0 May 7th 07 02:05 PM
New project Robatoy Woodworking 25 April 10th 07 12:40 AM
OT New project Robatoy Woodworking 16 April 9th 07 05:09 PM
Help with my first project [email protected] Woodworking 2 July 7th 06 07:33 PM
project car Erik Litchy Metalworking 0 December 17th 04 03:31 PM