Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3/8" Capacity J33 Mount Chucks?

Anyone have a source for 3/8" maximum capacity J33 mount chucks?
Key-Type... Not Keyless.

Customer doesn't want 1/2" capacity for some reason....

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 30, 1:46 pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Customer doesn't want 1/2" capacity for some reason....

Maybe to prevent misuse. I have had some problems with people
overloading various machine tools by installing very large drill bits
in small machines, so I had to buy or find appropriate size drill
chucks, matched to the size of the drill the machine can handle.
Mostly things like 1/2" shank S&D drills in the benchtop CNC mill
(designed for light work, and it circular interpolates anyways...) and
so on. Not to mention that the CNC mill is bolted to the bench
exactly 4 feet from the 21" Clausing drill press which will run an
1.125" drill bit (MT3 shank) in 1" thick aluminum without a problem...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"woodworker88" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 1:46 pm, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Customer doesn't want 1/2" capacity for some reason....

Maybe to prevent misuse. I have had some problems with people
overloading various machine tools by installing very large drill bits
in small machines, so I had to buy or find appropriate size drill
chucks, matched to the size of the drill the machine can handle.
Mostly things like 1/2" shank S&D drills in the benchtop CNC mill
(designed for light work, and it circular interpolates anyways...) and
so on. Not to mention that the CNC mill is bolted to the bench
exactly 4 feet from the 21" Clausing drill press which will run an
1.125" drill bit (MT3 shank) in 1" thick aluminum without a problem...

That's what I figured... Except that it's my machine they are buying and
it's got enough HP to do a 3/4" hole....

Asa side note... I guess this makes me wonder why bench top drill press
machines (hobbyist size) have 1/3 or 1/4 HP motors and a chuck that will
hold 1/2" diameter round shak tooling. I guess some folks are working in
Balsa wood, styrofoam and hardened soap bubbles.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:10:01 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Asa side note... I guess this makes me wonder why bench top drill press
machines (hobbyist size) have 1/3 or 1/4 HP motors and a chuck that will
hold 1/2" diameter round shak tooling. I guess some folks are working in
Balsa wood, styrofoam and hardened soap bubbles.

Why do they make 27hp lawn mowers with only 48 inch decks?

More power has got to be better right? ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why do they make 27hp lawn mowers with only 48 inch decks?

More power has got to be better right? ;-)

Leon... They double as stump grinders... Everyone knows that. G
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 31, 10:53 am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
Leon... They double as stump grinders... Everyone knows that. G

Particularly for the kind of stump that requires a prosthetic.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 31, 5:10 am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

Asa side note... I guess this makes me wonder why bench top drill press
machines (hobbyist size) have 1/3 or 1/4 HP motors and a chuck that will
hold 1/2" diameter round shak tooling. I guess some folks are working in
Balsa wood, styrofoam and hardened soap bubbles.

Clearly they're being paid off by the motor manufacturers to drum up
more business by creating abnormal amounts of magic white smoke.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:10:01 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

snip
Asa side note... I guess this makes me wonder why bench top drill press
machines (hobbyist size) have 1/3 or 1/4 HP motors and a chuck that will
hold 1/2" diameter round shak tooling. I guess some folks are working in
Balsa wood, styrofoam and hardened soap bubbles.

snip

Problems start when the owner/operator tries to take too big a
bite at one time. If you step drill at small increments you can
drill some big holes with silver & dimming drills, but not in one
big bite. As in many machining "problems," patience and
technique/fineness [and some common sense] can overcome lack of
power and lack of rigidity. Blue chips count in poker but not in
home shop machining…