Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default 3/8" Capacity J33 Mount Chucks?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:10:01 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

snip
Asa side note... I guess this makes me wonder why bench top drill press
machines (hobbyist size) have 1/3 or 1/4 HP motors and a chuck that will
hold 1/2" diameter round shak tooling. I guess some folks are working in
Balsa wood, styrofoam and hardened soap bubbles.

snip

Problems start when the owner/operator tries to take too big a
bite at one time. If you step drill at small increments you can
drill some big holes with silver & dimming drills, but not in one
big bite. As in many machining "problems," patience and
technique/fineness [and some common sense] can overcome lack of
power and lack of rigidity. Blue chips count in poker but not in
home shop machining…