Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this newsgroup for?

I ask a question.

Some noodle says go to Google.

I thought the purpose of this ng was to help each other out so we don't have
to sift through tons of sand for the pearl. I've been here for years, and
seen the same questions over and over and over. Should we appoint someone
to filter the questions, and everything that's been asked before get a "Go
to Google" answer?

Sheesh.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 07:54:00 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I ask a question.

Some noodle says go to Google.

I thought the purpose of this ng was to help each other out so we don't have
to sift through tons of sand for the pearl. I've been here for years, and
seen the same questions over and over and over. Should we appoint someone
to filter the questions, and everything that's been asked before get a "Go
to Google" answer?

Sheesh.

You got a link to where there was a lot of discussion on the subject.
Sheesh you to noodle.

******

eat the samoosa to reply

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 07:54:00 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"SteveB" quickly quoth:

I ask a question.

Some noodle says go to Google.

I thought the purpose of this ng was to help each other out so we don't have
to sift through tons of sand for the pearl. I've been here for years, and
seen the same questions over and over and over. Should we appoint someone
to filter the questions, and everything that's been asked before get a "Go
to Google" answer?

You want filtered? Google for "disston nib" on rec.woodworking.

Sheesh.

Kwitcherbitchen, ya lazy bastid. g

---
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate.
--Chuang-tzu (369 BC - 286 BC)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In theory, it's a wonderful concept. If you have a question, google it
and not bother the group. But what if people use different terminology
to refer to something? Google may have neat-o algorithms, but it
searches for what you type in, not what you think.

CRS Cold Rolled Steel or Can't Remember Spit?

Toolpost - rocker, turret, or quick change? Wedge, piston, or clamp?

By asking the group, the collective mind can identify the items in
question, sort through the myriad little permutations, and come up with
a pretty good pointer to the needed information. Maybe not at GHz
speeds, but in ways that Deep Blue just can't.

SteveB wrote:
seen the same questions over and over and over. Should we appoint someone
everything that's been asked before get a "Go to Google" answer?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

beat me to it.
I use Google first, but sometimes you get too many worthless hits and no
answers. A quick point to the right search words or phrase is a big leg up.

SteveB wrote:
seen the same questions over and over and over. Should we appoint
someone everything that's been asked before get a "Go to Google" answer?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I ask a question.

Some noodle says go to Google.

I thought the purpose of this ng was to help each other out so we don't
have to sift through tons of sand for the pearl. I've been here for
years, and seen the same questions over and over and over. Should we
appoint someone to filter the questions, and everything that's been asked
before get a "Go to Google" answer?

Kudos for bringing this up. I agree that every single post should be
followied with an informative answer - and a Google link if appropriate...
If we actually answer the questions here, we draw true metal workers here to
talk with us rather than drive them away with our "go ask in a better place"
answers...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 2, 9:54 am, "SteveB" wrote:
I ask a question.

Some noodle says go to Google.

I thought the purpose of this ng was to help each other out so we don't have
to sift through tons of sand for the pearl. I've been here for years, and
seen the same questions over and over and over. Should we appoint someone
to filter the questions, and everything that's been asked before get a "Go
to Google" answer?

Sheesh.

Steve

Cool! I wonder how you'd feel if you went to your doctor and he tells
you " you have a disease, now go Google the name for info and
treatment options"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 2, 6:01 pm, Gerry wrote:
On Jan 2, 9:54 am, "SteveB" wrote:

I ask a question.

Some noodle says go to Google.

I thought the purpose of this ng was to help each other out so we don't have
to sift through tons of sand for the pearl. I've been here for years, and
seen the same questions over and over and over. Should we appoint someone
to filter the questions, and everything that's been asked before get a "Go
to Google" answer?

Sheesh.

Steve

Cool! I wonder how you'd feel if you went to your doctor and he tells
you " you have a disease, now go Google the name for info and
treatment options"

What we really need is someone to delete the OT crap just as soon as
it gets posted so no one has to be bothered with it. Come to think of
it, that would remove your post wouldn't it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some of us know some not.
This is far better to ask than to read some of this crap spam!
Very little real news group anymore.

This was once a lively and well going group. Now grouchy
and some twits.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

SteveB wrote:
seen the same questions over and over and over. Should we appoint
someone everything that's been asked before get a "Go to Google" answer?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 3, 2:01*am, Gerry wrote:
On Jan 2, 9:54 am, "SteveB" wrote:

I ask a question.

Some noodle says go to Google.

I thought the purpose of this ng was to help each other out so we don't have
to sift through tons of sand for the pearl. *I've been here for years, and
seen the same questions over and over and over. *Should we appoint someone
to filter the questions, and everything that's been asked before get a "Go
to Google" answer?

Sheesh.

Steve

Cool! I wonder how you'd feel if you went to your doctor and he tells
you " you have a disease, now go Google the name for info and
treatment options"

I agree with Gerry. Furthermore it's better for a newbie to get a real
time answer. For a quick Q/A there are other services(mainly from
Yahoo because Google answers are off)

Sephiroth
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its
students. - Robin Williams "
www.wicquer.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote

Kudos for bringing this up. I agree that every single post should be
followied with an informative answer - and a Google link if appropriate...
If we actually answer the questions here, we draw true metal workers here
to talk with us rather than drive them away with our "go ask in a better
place" answers...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Thank you. At times during my work day, I'll ask a newsgroup question about
something I'm working on, or having a problem with. I don't have the time
to sit and read through millions of Google hits, some of which leave me
scratching my head thinking "How did they get there from the keywords I
gave?" I'll come back in a couple of hours, and someone has posted the
answer, and then I'm back out there applying the new knowledge.

I guess that's the difference. Some here actually get out there and do
something, and don't have the time to be Google experts. I prefer to hear
from people doing it rather than those who merely have read about it, and
think their ability to bookmark information has some value over actual
performance and places them on some higher intellectual plane.

Yes, Google is a vast repository of information. And a savvy hunter can
find lots of good stuff. It's just that some time I don't have the time to
sit down that long and search through all that information.

And if people don't like it, it is easy to pass it over without comment.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote

[...]

When I get a million nebulous Google hits, I shift to the clustered search
system
offered by www.vivisimo.com. It helps a lot.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 22:00:31 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

... I don't have the time to sit and read through millions of
Google hits, some of which leave me scratching my head thinking
"How did they get there from the keywords I gave?"

Usually because the 'hijack your eyeballs' sites have a hidden
'Keywords Page' that lists every possible dictionary term that refers
to the page they want you to see - and usually has nothing at all to
do with the page they sent you to.

You have to do a 'sanity check' on the domain and page title the
initial search gives you, and have all your antivirus and pop-up
blockers turned on when you click, in case it's a rogue site.

And every time that Google and other search engines come up with a
way to ignore those kinds of dirty tricks, the people who run the
pages figure out a new way around them.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

... I don't have the time to sit and read through millions of
Google hits, some of which leave me scratching my head thinking
"How did they get there from the keywords I gave?"

Usually because the 'hijack your eyeballs' sites have a hidden
'Keywords Page' that lists every possible dictionary term that refers
to the page they want you to see - and usually has nothing at all to
do with the page they sent you to.

You have to do a 'sanity check' on the domain and page title the
initial search gives you, and have all your antivirus and pop-up
blockers turned on when you click, in case it's a rogue site.

And every time that Google and other search engines come up with a
way to ignore those kinds of dirty tricks, the people who run the
pages figure out a new way around them.

-- Bruce --

So, let me understand this. Are you actually saying that this Google search
thing that some high brows tout here is actually flawed and the best thing
since creamy peanut butter?

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://altavista.com == Best search engine out there, vastly superior
to google.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://altavista.com == Best search engine out there, vastly superior
to google.

Used to be my favorite search engine... But I guess I slowly migrated over
to the borg...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 08:09:28 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

SteveB wrote:
So, let me understand this. Are you actually saying that this Google search
thing that some high brows tout here is actually flawed and the best thing
since creamy peanut butter?

(You meant chunky peanut butter, didn't you, Steve?)

http://altavista.com == Best search engine out there, vastly superior
to google.

How so, Pete? Give us a f'rinstance, por favor.

---
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate.
--Chuang-tzu (369 BC - 286 BC)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 2, 10:54*am, "SteveB" wrote:
I ask a question.

Some noodle says go to Google.

I thought the purpose of this ng was to help each other out so we don't have
to sift through tons of sand for the pearl. *I've been here for years, and
seen the same questions over and over and over. *Should we appoint someone
to filter the questions, and everything that's been asked before get a "Go
to Google" answer?

Sheesh.

Steve

I think you got a good answer, Steve. You got much more than "Google
It", you got a link to a specific site where the question had been
recently discussed.

There was no simple answer to your question. If you followed up on
rec.woodworking, you'd have found out that there are a great many
opinions as to the reasons for the nib. I know, as I was one of the
posters there. Rather than trying to remember all the possibilities
and then type them out, the poster told you exactly where to find the
whole discussion thread. Nothing wrong with that.

If you'd asked a question that could be answered with just a few words
you might have some reason to bitch about it. But you didn't.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Martin" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 10:54 am, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

The answers I got we It's a decoration. I don't know. It's a stop.
Those are answers of just a few words.

Not good enough for you, though.

Sorry you missed the point, John, and returned to the saw question. It's
not about the saw, it's your and others attitude of "Google it yourself, you
lazy *******." For various reasons, people do not want to wade through all
that information just to get a simple answer. This is evidenced by our
society, and society in general, wanting fast food and fast information.
Fast this and fast that. There is a new vocabulary for texting and
chatroomese. Acronyms for total sentences. And there are still the old
farts and young ones who insist on proper spelling and doing it the old way.
Whatever turns yer crank.

For me, I just want fast information. I don't want to wade through tons of
information when a couple or three people can answer what it is I'm asking
about. I just can't do it. For you to expect me to perform to your
expectations and requirements is ludicrous and narcissistic. You know
nothing about me, or my limitations. It is snobbish of you to refer to the
vast body of information and say go find it yourself. I don't want to, and
don't have the time.

A few years ago, I had an industrial accident where I sustained a TBI. (You
can find it in Google.) ;-) I am impaired when faced with large amounts of
information or having to remember lots of things. I no longer read, as I
forget a lot of what I've read only minutes later. It's just part of the
deal, and it isn't going to get any better. So, you will just have to
pardon me for asking what may seem to you a dumb question with an easy
answer. Perhaps you need to join discussion groups of high intellectual
content and deep thinking.

I'm truly sorry that those of us here who don't know everything are such a
bother to those of you who do. And that there are some here who are not
functioning at the high levels of performance and expectations of others,
and just doing the best they can with the cards they were dealt.

Not!

You have a nice day.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 2, 10:54 am, "SteveB" wrote:

[...]

Wow, what a load of whining, self-serving crap that was.

Let's see, I'm "ludicrous and narcissistic". You start out by seeming
to castigate our fast food and fast information society, then say that
when you want an anbswer you want it fast and "don't want to wade
through tons of information". You don't want to find it yourself and
don't have the time to do so. If that isn't exactly the meaning of
"ludicrous and narcissistic", I don't know what is.

What you asked was not a dumb question with an easy answer. What you
asked was a good question with a whole bunch of possible answers.
There are probably a half dozen reasonable possibilities in addition
to the ones you mention. Most of them take more than a few words.
That's why the poster directed you to the rec.woodworking discussion -
not because he was lazy. Had he been lazy, he wouldn't have bothered
to answer your question.

I've never claimed to know everything - that's why I'm here. And I
never said I was bothered by your question. I don't have much
tolerance for dumb questions when they're asked by someone who seems
to have the brains to know better, and on occasion I've said so. But
I never said that your saw question was a dumb one, did I?

You have a nice day yourself, Steve. Or, if you'd rather, go ****
yourself. It's up to you, and doesn't matter to me much at all.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
seen the same questions over and over and over. *Should we appoint
someone everything that's been asked before get a "Go to Google" answer?- Hide quoted text -

Rex is quite right on this...Googling today is an invitation to spend
HOURS looking through worthless leads.

A gentle and helpful pointer to the right direction is always
appreciated.

What goes around, comes around.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 2, 10:54 am, "SteveB" wrote:

[...]

Good reply Steve.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 20:48:25 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"SteveB" quickly quoth:

The answers I got we It's a decoration. I don't know. It's a stop.
Those are answers of just a few words.

Not good enough for you, though.

Sorry you missed the point, John, and returned to the saw question. It's
not about the saw, it's your and others attitude of "Google it yourself, you
lazy *******."

Aw, c'mon. I gave you the specific answer and then saw the attitude
you copped and came back with "Google it, ya lazy bastid. g" You
blew off the grin, ya lazy bastid.

For various reasons, people do not want to wade through all
that information just to get a simple answer. This is evidenced by our
society, and society in general, wanting fast food and fast information.
Fast this and fast that. There is a new vocabulary for texting and
chatroomese. Acronyms for total sentences. And there are still the old
farts and young ones who insist on proper spelling and doing it the old way.
Whatever turns yer crank.

I understand. Instant gratification takes too long.

For me, I just want fast information. I don't want to wade through tons of
information when a couple or three people can answer what it is I'm asking
about. I just can't do it. For you to expect me to perform to your
expectations and requirements is ludicrous and narcissistic. You know
nothing about me, or my limitations. It is snobbish of you to refer to the
vast body of information and say go find it yourself. I don't want to, and
don't have the time.

Isn't the snobbishness in the person who says "Do it for me, I don't
have the time or inclination"?

A few years ago, I had an industrial accident where I sustained a TBI. (You
can find it in Google.) ;-) I am impaired when faced with large amounts of
information or having to remember lots of things. I no longer read, as I
forget a lot of what I've read only minutes later. It's just part of the
deal, and it isn't going to get any better. So, you will just have to
pardon me for asking what may seem to you a dumb question with an easy
answer. Perhaps you need to join discussion groups of high intellectual
content and deep thinking.

Preface your question with that and you'll get lots better/longer
answers. People who come across as snobs (or kids wanting their
homework done for them) get more "googlits".

Someone said that none of us here will go google it for the
questioner, but I often do. If it's of interest to me, I'll spend a
few minutes finding some info which is mutually beneficial. The CF
thread is a good example. I had a lot of info before because I have
used the beasties for years, but I looked into it more deeply and
found some very inexpensive dimmables ($2 a pop, delivered) in the
process. Win/Win. I'll review them when I get 'em.

eBay "12 dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs 23W=100W" by 6801goodbuy.

---
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate.
--Chuang-tzu (369 BC - 286 BC)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I ask a question.

Some noodle says go to Google.

I thought the purpose of this ng was to help each other out so we don't have
to sift through tons of sand for the pearl. I've been here for years, and
seen the same questions over and over and over. Should we appoint someone
to filter the questions, and everything that's been asked before get a "Go
to Google" answer?

Sheesh.

Steve

Well, Steve...

Most "Friends", whether in this group or in your neighborhood, are
willing to help a friend out, BUT, there is an expectation that you will
do a certain amount of work FIRST. Once you've exhausted your
resources, then friends are usually willing to help you out.

HOWEVER, if you aren't willing to do your homework; If I perceive you
want me to do your work FOR you; If you come to the trough too often,
then I'm likely to get peeved and tell you to figure it out for yourself.

That's how I see it.

Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
So, let me understand this. Are you actually saying that this Google search
thing that some high brows tout here is actually flawed and the best thing
since creamy peanut butter?

(You meant chunky peanut butter, didn't you, Steve?)

http://altavista.com == Best search engine out there, vastly superior
to google.

How so, Pete? Give us a f'rinstance, por favor.

I always find it provides superior results to my searches, with less
bogus crap in the results and little advertising spam on the results
pages. At various times I've tried identical searches on Altavista and
several other sites like google and the Altavista results were always
more useable. Try it yourself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 2, 10:54 am, "SteveB" wrote:

[...]

Well, then, at least we understand each other. Now go back behind the barn
with your Vaseline and have fun.

And I'd consider better newsgroups if I were you. This one is obviously
below your standards.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:01:25 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

SteveB wrote:
seen the same questions over and over and over. *Should we appoint
someone everything that's been asked before get a "Go to Google" answer?- Hide quoted text -

Rex is quite right on this...Googling today is an invitation to spend
HOURS looking through worthless leads.

We truely live in an information age.

Its not that we cant find the information anymore..the question
becomes how good your Google Fu is.

Ones Google Fu is determined by HOW you ask the questions.

And that requires a bit of thought
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-04, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Rex is quite right on this...Googling today is an invitation to spend
HOURS looking through worthless leads.

I created a "custom search engine", which is the google search engine
with a bunch of web spammers blocked from index. Really cuts down on
the amount of crap seen when looking for part numbers and so on. It is
accessible from

http://ef.algebra.com/

but you can also add it to the list of search engines in your
browser. It is a collaborative project and I am always happy to add
more sites if you so suggest.

A gentle and helpful pointer to the right direction is always
appreciated.

What goes around, comes around.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 4, 7:24*am, Rich wrote:
SteveB wrote:
[...]

Rich- Hide quoted text -

Also a good response.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 10:24:12 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

SteveB wrote:
seen the same questions over and over and over. *Should we appoint
someone everything that's been asked before get a "Go to Google" answer?- Hide quoted text -

Rex is quite right on this...Googling today is an invitation to spend
HOURS looking through worthless leads.

We truely live in an information age.

Its not that we cant find the information anymore..the question
becomes how good your Google Fu is.

Ones Google Fu is determined by HOW you ask the questions.

And that requires a bit of thought

Verity! I've often found better keywords within the first search
after a distressingly large return on a poorly Fued googlit. I rarely
spend more than 5 minutes getting what I want; usually just 1 minute.
Pete seems to think that Altavista (last decade's Google) is tops, but
I try others on occasion and always return to Google. YMMV

---