Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody in Florida? I need a favor.

There is a kitchen range hood on eBay that I really want, but it is in
Lighthouse Point, Florida and the seller has it listed as local pickup
only.
I am looking for somebody willing to pick it up and ship it.
I am just curious as to how practical this may be.

Yes I can make one from scratch, but I have 2000 other projects going
right now.
I like the design of this one.

I live in Seattle.

email me if interested.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How much does it weigh? UPS will ship anything below 150 pounds.
Though in my experience anything over 75 pounds gets the He double L
wacked out of it due to the way their machines transport the boxes.
You can alwasy try Uship.com and get a free quote for shipping and
there is craigslist.com too, but there are a LOT of flakes on craigs
list, so bewarry of handing over your good stuff to someone you don't
know.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stagesmith wrote:

There is a kitchen range hood on eBay that I really want, but it is in
Lighthouse Point, Florida and the seller has it listed as local pickup
only.
I am looking for somebody willing to pick it up and ship it.
I am just curious as to how practical this may be.

Yes I can make one from scratch, but I have 2000 other projects going
right now.
I like the design of this one.

I live in Seattle.

email me if interested.

Florida is a BIG place. Lighthouse Point is near Ft Lauderdale, over
250 miles from me. Some parts of Florida are over 600 miles from
Lighthouse Point. I could help you If it was closer, but a 500 mile
round trip just isn't possible for me.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Florida is a BIG place. Lighthouse Point is near Ft Lauderdale, over
250 miles from me. Some parts of Florida are over 600 miles from
Lighthouse Point. I could help you If it was closer, but a 500 mile
round trip just isn't possible for me.

I'm a bit over a 100 miles the other way, near Key West. Too far for a
favor. I think its about 800 miles to Tallahassee, FL from here.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Florida is a BIG place. Lighthouse Point is near Ft Lauderdale, over
250 miles from me. Some parts of Florida are over 600 miles from
Lighthouse Point. I could help you If it was closer, but a 500 mile
round trip just isn't possible for me.

I'm a bit over a 100 miles the other way, near Key West. Too far for a
favor. I think its about 800 miles to Tallahassee, FL from here.

Karl

Stay where you are, Karl.
I hope to come see ya next summer!

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doggone it, Ernie; as many favors and lessons that you have done for
everyone, I hate it that no one is near enough to do one for you.

Me? I am in Texas.

j/b

"stagesmith" wrote in message
There is a kitchen range hood on eBay that I really want, but it is in
Lighthouse Point, Florida and the seller has it listed as local pickup
only.
I am looking for somebody willing to pick it up and ship it.
I am just curious as to how practical this may be.

Yes I can make one from scratch, but I have 2000 other projects going
right now.
I like the design of this one.

I live in Seattle.

email me if interested.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Edward Hennessey" wrote:

"stagesmith" wrote in message
There is a kitchen range hood on eBay that I really want, but it is in
Lighthouse Point, Florida and the seller has it listed as local pickup
only.
I am looking for somebody willing to pick it up and ship it.
I am just curious as to how practical this may be.

Yes I can make one from scratch, but I have 2000 other projects going
right now.
I like the design of this one.

I live in Seattle.

email me if interested.

S:

Since nobody seems local, here's an idea. Shippers can arrange for crating,
if that is required.
Shipping is pretty competitive but the crating/boxing part is where the
result seems spendy.
Next, see if there is a local college with a trade/woodworking
specialization. Call and ask
who handles student employment or call the head of the woodworking/cabinet
making and
related departments. Tell them what you need, get a recommendation and ask
what is fair to pay. This usually is much cheaper than the commercial
outfits (especially if a box or materials can be scavenged) and when you
work through a department head or other functionary you have a secondary
guarantee that your desired result will be more diligently pursued.

In other ways, this kind of thing has worked for me in the past.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

I contacted the seller and he is looking into shipping cost for an air
forwarding company near him.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Hennessey" wrote:

[...]

You might want to look at
www.freightquote.com. I've used them for obtaining
ground shipping and their service department has informed staff. They also
do air freight.
Another option is for you and your seller to find a company that allows
delivery and pickup
at airports, which option may be available on the freightquote interface.
That drastically
reduces your cost.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey