Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ok, another what the heck is this thing really question

I have this piece of cast iron, which has a patent date on it - after about
an hour of looking at patents with that date I found it, patent number
507,386. It is described as a Saw-Jointer. Rather than post a picture of
the item in the drop box, let me just refer you to the patent via
www.uspto.gov - just go to patents, then quick search, type in the patent
number, and choose the selection that gives images of all patents, not the
one showing text of recent patents only (this is 1893).

My qusestion - what the heck is a Saw-Jointer - is this for use on a bandsaw
to make a clean joint when you weld the blade, or something else?

Once my personal curiosity about this item is satisfied, I'll probably try
ebaying it for a bazillion dollars, but not yet- by the way, if any of you
are collectors who want this, I'll trade it for something of more use to me
(once I know what it's used for and understand it better)

so guys/gals? how was this used?

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email

wil lia m_b_n obl e at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 25, 12:21*pm, "William Noble" wrote:
[...]

Before sharpening the teeth of a handsaw they are all brought to the
same height with a jointer.
Your cast iron widget holds a file perpendicular to the saw to do just
this when stroked down the length of the saw.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 25, 9:21 am, "William Noble" wrote:
I have this piece of cast iron, which has a patent date on it - after about
an hour of looking at patents with that date I found it, patent number

My qusestion - what the heck is a Saw-Jointer - is this for use on a bandsaw
to make a clean joint when you weld the blade, or something else?

snip--

That is a classic hand saw jointer, it is used to make all the teeth
the same height on a hand saw (wood working). The one you have seems
to be designed to hold the relatively small triangular file that is
used for sharpening. I have never had a purpose made saw jointer, I
just use a large flat file held by hand for jointing then the
triangular file to sharpen the teeth..
Jay
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 09:21:47 -0800, "William Noble"
wrote:

[...]

http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/tools/saws.htm
see item #15

Elapsed time to find this: about 90 seconds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

so guys/gals? how was this used?

http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/tools/saws.htm
see item #15

Elapsed time to find this: about 90 seconds.

ok, thanks to everyone - I've never before heard the term "saw jointer' so
now I know - it took me an hour or two to go through the patents issued on
the specified patent date until I found something that looked like this
object to get the name - I read the description and was still clueless - so
I figured it would give the NG something to talk about and I could learn a
bit - this one that I have is less complete than the one in the link above -
it's missing the spring and the angle iron piece

I guess if it's 1893 and you don't have modern tool steel, you will be
sharpening your saw a whole lot more than we would

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default saw jointer, now FA

http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/tools/saws.htm
see item #15

Elapsed time to find this: about 90 seconds.

ok, thanks to everyone - I've never before heard the term "saw jointer' so
now I know - it took me an hour or two to go through the patents issued on
the specified patent date until I found something that looked like this
object to get the name - I read the description and was still clueless -
so I figured it would give the NG something to talk about and I could
learn a bit - this one that I have is less complete than the one in the
link above - it's missing the spring and the angle iron piece

I guess if it's 1893 and you don't have modern tool steel, you will be
sharpening your saw a whole lot more than we would

decided that I really don't want to have yet another old cool tool to trip
over, so I put this on ebay to move it on out to someone who will make
better use of it than I, here is the link