Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ok, what the heck is this little tool

picture he
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...haped_tool.JPG

the accompanying text file says"this tool has the number 265C stamped in
white on the body, no other markings. Brass band around cap, body and cap
seem to be bakelite or hard rubber. Strips and pins shown below the tool
are stored in the handle. All are attracted to a magnet. No maker's mark
anywhere on the tool.

I picked up several of these from an estate - if I had to guess, I'd say
they had to do with setting and cleaning telephone relays, but I figure
someone here would know what they were for and their age and maybe even
more....

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page, www.wbnoble.com and find my email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-15, William Noble wrote:
picture he
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...haped_tool.JPG

That is a relay contact cleaner made for (and probably by) the
Bell telephone company/Western Electric.

the accompanying text file says"this tool has the number 265C stamped in
white on the body, no other markings. Brass band around cap, body and cap
seem to be bakelite or hard rubber. Strips and pins shown below the tool
are stored in the handle. All are attracted to a magnet. No maker's mark
anywhere on the tool.

The strips and pins are all coated with very fine diamond to use
as laps for renewing relay contacts. The strips look a little different
from what I've seen. Those had one end rounded to a radius which made a
half-circle of the width of the strip, and the other end was narrowed
down for perhaps 3/16" length and similarly rounded to match the
narrower width -- to get to individual contacts on newer relays, I
suspect.

I picked up several of these from an estate - if I had to guess, I'd say
they had to do with setting and cleaning telephone relays, but I figure
someone here would know what they were for and their age and maybe even
more....

Well ... I first saw them in the mid 1960s, but they could have
been in use for a lot longer than that. And the square ends instead
of rounded may mean that they are older or newer than what I've seen.

A nice tool to have if you work with relays.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble writes:

265C

This was once the format of Ma Bell's part and tool numbers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-15, William Noble wrote:
picture he
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...haped_tool.JPG

That is a relay contact cleaner made for (and probably by) the
Bell telephone company/Western Electric.

thanks guys - confirmed my guess - and I do work with relays from time to
time

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

... On 2007-12-15, William Noble wrote:
picture he
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...haped_tool.JPG

That is a relay contact cleaner made for (and probably by) the
Bell telephone company/Western Electric.

thanks guys - confirmed my guess - and I do work with relays from time to
time

I used them in the old timey pinball machines, and other games of
that era that used many banks of relays.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-15, William Noble wrote:
picture he
[...]

The strip in the end of the pen - looks a bit like what we used to call
"microscrub". We used it in a telco worked for to clean relay contacts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:05:46 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"William Noble" quickly quoth:

On 2007-12-15, William Noble wrote:
picture he
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...haped_tool.JPG

That is a relay contact cleaner made for (and probably by) the
Bell telephone company/Western Electric.

thanks guys - confirmed my guess - and I do work with relays from time to
time

http://tinyurl.com/2u3yzn I was told they had a sintered nickel
coating, not diamond, for roughing off the contact oxidation.

--
I guess they don't make import crap like they used to.
--Ernie L., Usenet's Wreck.Metal group
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-15, William Noble wrote:
picture he
[...]

(too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

The strip in the end of the pen - looks a bit like what we used to call
"microscrub". We used it in a telco worked for to clean relay contacts.- Hide quoted text -

To fix contacts and connectors - the only thing to use is Deoxit,
www.deoxit.com
Amazing stuff.

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-21, wrote:
On Dec 15, 5:09*am, "Robbo" wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

A nice tool to have if you work with relays.

[ ... ]

The strip in the end of the pen - looks a bit like what we used to call
"microscrub". We used it in a telco worked for to clean relay contacts.- Hide quoted text -

[ ... ]

To fix contacts and connectors - the only thing to use is Deoxit,
www.deoxit.com
Amazing stuff.

Or -- before the change in formulation was forced -- Cramolin by the same
company.

I've got some of each.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

hate to tell you this though you may already lknow it, but if hte contacts
are welded or pitted, all the deoxit in the world won't fix them -that's
what these little files are for - deoxit (and similar products) remove oxide
layers, but not pitting or mechanical distortions of any kind

DoN.

The strip in the end of the pen - looks a bit like what we used to call
"microscrub". We used it in a telco worked for to clean relay contacts.-

To fix contacts and connectors - the only thing to use is Deoxit,
www.deoxit.com
Amazing stuff.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I didn't catch the beginning of this thread, but I've been using Caig Labs
products for a couple of decades, and there is probably no better line of
contact treatment products anywhere (although there have been some issues of
ownership of the name Cramolin, which Caig has stopped using).

As William N points out, damaged contacts aren't recoverable by applying
even the best of "miracle in a can" products.

The DeoxIt products are great for cleaning contacts that are in undamaged
condition, to help prevent (any) contacts from being damaged as a result of
oxidation.. increased resistance and heat.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

.. .