Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] shaqtopz@aol.com is offline

Default ok, what the heck is this little tool

On Dec 15, 5:09*am, "Robbo" wrote:

On 2007-12-15, William Noble wrote:
picture he
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...haped_tool.JPG

That is a relaycontact cleanermade for (and probably by) the
Bell telephone company/Western Electric.

the accompanying text file says"this tool has the number 265C stamped in
white on the body, no other markings. *Brass band around cap, body and
cap
seem to be bakelite or hard rubber. *Strips and pins shown below the tool
are stored in the *handle. *All are attracted to a magnet. *No maker's
mark
anywhere on the tool.

The strips and pins are all coated with very fine diamond to use
as laps for renewing relay contacts. *The strips look a little different
from what I've seen. *Those had one end rounded to a radius which made a
half-circle of the width of the strip, and the other end was narrowed
down for perhaps 3/16" length and similarly rounded to match the
narrower width -- to get to individual contacts on newer relays, I
suspect.

I picked up several of these from an estate - if I had to guess, I'd say
they had to do with setting and cleaning telephone relays, but I figure
someone here would know what they were for and their age and maybe even
more....

Well ... I first saw them in the mid 1960s, but they could have
been in use for a lot longer than that. *And the square ends instead
of rounded may mean that they are older or newer than what I've seen.

A nice tool to have if you work with relays.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

The strip in the end of the pen - looks a bit like what we used to call
"microscrub". We used it in a telco worked for to clean relay contacts.- Hide quoted text -

To fix contacts and connectors - the only thing to use is Deoxit,
www.deoxit.com
Amazing stuff.

Mike