Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default ok, another what the heck is this thing really question

On Dec 25, 12:21*pm, "William Noble" wrote:
I have this piece of cast iron, which has a patent date on it - after about
an hour of looking at patents with that date I found it, patent number
507,386. *It is described as a Saw-Jointer. *Rather than post a picture of
the item in the drop box, let me just refer you to the patent viawww.uspto..gov- just go to patents, then quick search, type in the patent
number, and choose the selection that gives images of all patents, not the
one showing text of recent patents only (this is 1893).

My qusestion - what the heck is a Saw-Jointer - is this for use on a bandsaw
to make a clean joint when you weld the blade, or something else?

Once my personal curiosity about this item is satisfied, I'll probably try
ebaying it for a bazillion dollars, but not yet- by the way, if any of you
are collectors who want this, I'll trade it for something of more use to me
(once I know what it's used for and understand it better)

so guys/gals? how was this used?

--
bill
to email me, to to my web page,www.wbnoble.comand find my email

wil *lia m_b_n *obl * e * *at * *msn * *daught * com

Before sharpening the teeth of a handsaw they are all brought to the
same height with a jointer.
Your cast iron widget holds a file perpendicular to the saw to do just
this when stroked down the length of the saw.