Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sieg X3 Y axis snap ring is not 16mm

One of those things - while I was working on mounting the Y axis
scale, I found that the Y axis leadscrew's snapring fell off. Again.
Since the idea of running my X3's cross slide out until the whole saddle
and table falls onto my toes (not probable, but it IS a good visual),
it's about time to put on a good ring (unlike the cheap POS original one).

Manual says 16mm, I think "great, I can use the extras from replacing
the quill feed shaft snapring". Not to be. After a bit of puzzlement, I
measured the groove and it's 11.34mm. Shaft is 12mm. Not a whole lot to
play with. I'll get both an 11.50mm and a 7/16th and see which one works.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:59:03 -0600, Louis Ohland
wrote:
After a bit of puzzlement, I
measured the groove and it's 11.34mm. Shaft is 12mm. Not a whole lot to
play with. I'll get both an 11.50mm and a 7/16th and see which one works.

The nominal size of a retaining ring matches the OD of the shaft, not
the groove diameter. 11.34mm is at the low end of the groove diameter
for a 12mm ring.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

One of those things - while I was working on mounting the Y axis
scale, I found that the Y axis leadscrew's snapring fell off. Again.
Since the idea of running my X3's cross slide out until the whole saddle
and table falls onto my toes (not probable, but it IS a good visual),
it's about time to put on a good ring (unlike the cheap POS original one).

Manual says 16mm, I think "great, I can use the extras from replacing
the quill feed shaft snapring". Not to be. After a bit of puzzlement, I
measured the groove and it's 11.34mm. Shaft is 12mm. Not a whole lot to
play with. I'll get both an 11.50mm and a 7/16th and see which one works.

Maybe you missed it but I mentioned the size of that specific snap
ring on the 1st December in a reply to your message on here.

As others have already said it is 12mm, but the groove might not be
sized properly

I roughly sketched out the leadscrews, table, and Y axis slide a few
weeks ago with the intention of doing a proper CAD drawing when I got
the chance. With a couple of spare hours today I can't find the
sketches

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike wrote:
measured the groove and it's 11.34mm. Shaft is 12mm.

As others have already said it is 12mm, but the groove might not be
sized properly

No, I czeched Machinery's Handbook, the nominal groove diameter is
11.35, so the 12mm retaining ring is dead-on. I ordered a ten pack
through Fastenal. It's a walk-in store, and I like to be able to order,
then pay when something arrives.

But... be careful... Fastenal has some pretty vigorous prices on some
items...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:21:33 -0600, Louis Ohland
wrote:

Mike wrote:
measured the groove and it's 11.34mm. Shaft is 12mm.

As others have already said it is 12mm, but the groove might not be
sized properly

No, I czeched Machinery's Handbook, the nominal groove diameter is
11.35, so the 12mm retaining ring is dead-on. I ordered a ten pack
through Fastenal. It's a walk-in store, and I like to be able to order,
then pay when something arrives.

But... be careful... Fastenal has some pretty vigorous prices on some
items...

I wish I could *find* my Machinery's Handbook. It's packed in a box
along with some other books .......when I say box and other books I
really mean about 50 boxes and 1000 other books. I last saw it in
late 2005. I've the CD rom version on my PC but it just *isn't* the
same.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's very difficult to put the sticky notes on the screen to bookmark
subjects... You can't flip from one area to another to compare them as
easily...

Oh, the 12mm retaining rings came in today.

Snap Ring Barbara Devaney Home Repair 11 October 2nd 13 03:04 PM
Where to get decent snap-ring pliers Jim Stewart Metalworking 7 February 26th 06 03:18 AM
Spindle axis vs. "Z" axis... Robin S. Metalworking 4 February 22nd 05 01:06 PM
Snap ring groove - internal [email protected] Metalworking 1 March 12th 04 11:34 PM
Looking for internal snap ring source Ryan Metalworking 0 January 4th 04 11:11 PM