Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using my lathe today

Not exactly for metal. Christmas is coming along and its time to grind
pounds and pounds of poppy seeds. (Iggy probably knows what this is about).

Use to take about 3 hours by hand and using the lathe certainly justified
its purchase to my lovely wife.

I remove the handle of the hand grinder and chuck the whole assembly (chuck
the end of the shaft) in the lather. The grinder is big enough that it
hangs down vertically between the ways which keeps it from rotating. I
place a large steel bowl on the ways, dial in for about 200 rpm and pour the
seeds into the small hopper. About a 10-15 minute task which finishes with
me saying "Aren't you glad we have a lathe"?

Other uses:
I purchase one of those manual counters ($4± harbor freight) and taped it to
my ways to be tripped by the chuck as it spins around. Great for rewinding
coils as they go bad in my pinball machines. Fortunately most of the coils
have the number of turns printed thereon so it becomes a no brainer
operation.

Put 2 or three copper wires in the chuck and use the lathe to twist
ornamental wire. After the braid (twist) they can be bent by hand to make
holders for decorative plates or nick-knacks. The same twisted (or hand
braided) copper wires can be hammered flat and is a good project for 5-10
year olds to make bracelets or rings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Not exactly for metal. Christmas is coming along and its time to grind
pounds and pounds of poppy seeds. (Iggy probably knows what this is
about).

Use to take about 3 hours by hand and using the lathe certainly justified
its purchase to my lovely wife.

I remove the handle of the hand grinder and chuck the whole assembly
(chuck the end of the shaft) in the lather. The grinder is big enough
that it hangs down vertically between the ways which keeps it from
rotating. I place a large steel bowl on the ways, dial in for about 200
rpm and pour the seeds into the small hopper. About a 10-15 minute task
which finishes with me saying "Aren't you glad we have a lathe"?

I've been using my Graziano for grinding wheat in the same way. Susan
makes a killer loaf of whole wheat bread----which we both enjoy, but
grinding the wheat was a tiring job. Not any more.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bychance you (or Susan) has the recipe written down? My wife (French
Canadian) cooks with a "bit of this" or "some of that" practice, so I'd
understand if not....

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:38:23 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Not exactly for metal. Christmas is coming along and its time to grind
pounds and pounds of poppy seeds. (Iggy probably knows what this is about).

Since Ivan and Igor are privy to the recipe, I assume it must be a
Russian dish. My grandmother, a refugee of the pogroms, used to make
poppy seed shortbread cookies which I loved as a kid. They were called
(phonetic spelling) moonpletzls. I wish I had the recipe.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave Young" wrote in message
Bychance you (or Susan) has the recipe written down? My wife (French
Canadian) cooks with a "bit of this" or "some of that" practice, so I'd
understand if not....

My mother owned no measuring cups, and kept all her recipes in her head.
Susan, not being of Greek extraction, but wanting to learn how to prepare my
favorite meals, went to my mother's house on many occasions and watched my
mother prepare a specific recipe. She'd measure what my mother did, and
create a recipe. She has become an excellent cook, and has preserved
recipes that would now be lost.

Unlike my mother, Susan works only from the book, but makes everything from
scratch.

Here's the recipe, which makes one hell of a bread. It's moist and heavy----

Enjoy!

WHOLE-WHEAT BREAD

3 cups warm water

3 pkg. Dry yeast

1/3 cup honey

3 TBS oil

6 ½ cups unsifted whole wheat flour

1 TB salt

1 cup powdered milk

Mix water, yeast, honey and oil. Stir dry ingredients and add to first
mixture. Let stand in a warm place for 15 minutes.

Knead well for 10 minutes. Form into loaves and place in two well greased
loaf pans.

Let rise 15 minutes in warm oven (80-85 degrees). Remove bread and heat
oven to 350-375 degrees. Replace loaves in oven and bake 50-55 minutes.
Brush tops with butter.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave Young" wrote in message
Thanks Harold (and thank you to your wife!)...I'm looking forward to
trying it!

Welcome!

Sorry about the spacing of the post. I copied and pasted the
recipe----not knowing what to expect.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Think there's a market for "high precision whole wheat" ? :-)

Kinda overkill. I like it!

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Back when I used to make espresso coffee, grinding the beans was easy if I
used an old German KYM grinder, but the labor of cranking it for several
minutes was arduous. My solution:

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/tem...YMDriveBar.jpg
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/BridgeKYM.jpg

I'm with ya, Ivan!

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Back when I used to make espresso coffee, grinding the beans was easy if I
used an old German KYM grinder, but the labor of cranking it for several
minutes was arduous. My solution:

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/tem...YMDriveBar.jpg
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/BridgeKYM.jpg

I'm with ya, Ivan!

Grant

Now that's really milling, isn't it Grant?
Great pictures. Thanks.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

Since Ivan and Igor are privy to the recipe, I assume it must be a
Russian dish. My grandmother, a refugee of the pogroms, used to make
poppy seed shortbread cookies which I loved as a kid. They were called
(phonetic spelling) moonpletzls. I wish I had the recipe.

--
Ned Simmons

I shouldn't speak for Iggy. I suspect he is from the former Soviet Union.
I for one am 100% Hungarian!! Poppy seeds are used around Christmas time to
make poppy seed cake. It takes a special mill because poppy seeds are oily
and must be crushed and not grated, unlike walnuts etc. The crushed seeds
are cooked with honey (or sugar) and used as a filling in a rolled-up baked,
log shaped pastry. (flat log, not round).

I only included Iggy because I've been able to find said pastry in Russian
and east European deli's and figured Iggy would know all about it.

Iggy where are you? ??????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

Since Ivan and Igor are privy to the recipe, I assume it must be a
Russian dish. My grandmother, a refugee of the pogroms, used to make
poppy seed shortbread cookies which I loved as a kid. They were called
(phonetic spelling) moonpletzls. I wish I had the recipe.

--
Ned Simmons

I shouldn't speak for Iggy. I suspect he is from the former Soviet Union.
I for one am 100% Hungarian!! Poppy seeds are used around Christmas time
to make poppy seed cake. It takes a special mill because poppy seeds are
oily and must be crushed and not grated, unlike walnuts etc. The crushed
seeds are cooked with honey (or sugar) and used as a filling in a
rolled-up baked, log shaped pastry. (flat log, not round).

The Dutch folks make a similar pastry, only of almond. I'd kill for the
recipe. I'm familiar with a wide array of sweets, but nothing comes close
to the wonderful taste of this stuff.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Mmmmmm..... Poppy seed cake.

I can reccomend the Maple Leaf Bakery, in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan, for
theirs!!!

Last time I was there, I picked up 8. They freeze very well.

Worth calling ahead for!

If yer in the area, you will be able to track down the phone number
yourselves. :-)

Nice folks to deal with, too!

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold,

I made the bread tonight and it's everything you said it was. My kids
say it's the best bread I've made....

Thank you very much!

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Obviously these work better than my first effort - cut the crank off
an egg beater and chuck the stub in my 1/4" electric drill, single
speed, 2000RPM = eggs on the ceiling. Mom was not impressed!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 18:36:52 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Dave Young" wrote in message
[...]

Just passed your recipe to one of the card players downstairs, thanks!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 21:34:29 GMT, Trevor Jones
wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Maple Leaf Bakery
Address : 424 4th Avenue SW, Moose Jaw, SK S6H 5V4
Telephone : 306-692-8551
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave Young" wrote in message
Harold,

I made the bread tonight and it's everything you said it was. My kids say
it's the best bread I've made....

Thank you very much!

Dave

You're very welcome, Dave. Very pleased to hear it was as
represented-----knowing how one man's treasure has the potential to be the
other man's garbage.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Heh!

What is it with people like us?

My memory is one of breaking one of my mother's mixing bowels while
screwing around with her mixer.

I'm always amazed to read how much most of us have in common.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 06:01:20 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
.. .

Obviously these work better than my first effort - cut the crank off
an egg beater and chuck the stub in my 1/4" electric drill, single
speed, 2000RPM = eggs on the ceiling. Mom was not impressed!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Heh!

What is it with people like us?

My memory is one of breaking one of my mother's mixing bowels while
screwing around with her mixer.

Mixing WHAT? Ewww!

I'm always amazed to read how much most of us have in common.

Yeah, most of us don't feel that _The Dangerous Book for Boys_ is
worth a sh*t, do we? They talk of exciting and scary stuff like "how
to wrap a package in brown paper and string." while we remember making
our own explosives (sulfur/saltpeter/charcoal), hiking and climbing
cliffs, trees (swinging in a 60' arc on a 40' tall bendy sapling,
sailing boats we built ourselves, chemistry sets (exploding gallon
jugs with calcium carbide, water, and a match), dis- and reassembling
everything in sight (and making it work again), doing 100mph+ in our
cars, making our own knives, sliding downhill on a cable and pulley
into a mattress tied to the downside tree, making our own skateboards
(metal-wheeled skate broken into two pieces and tacked onto a 1x6,
then rolling down the steepest hill we could find), putting cherry
bombs into every possible crevice and blowing it up (including the
toilets at school), etc.

And that was the mild stuff.

Youth: BTDT, survived with all of my fingers, toes, and eyes.

P.S: Hey, 'Arry. I just realized that Chehalis, WA ain't too far a
piece from you. How did you survive the massive downpour? I'm hoping
you and Susan are alright since your screaming-fast Internet link is
still up.

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

I remove the handle of the hand grinder and chuck the whole assembly (chuck
the end of the shaft) in the lather. The grinder is big enough that it
hangs down vertically between the ways which keeps it from rotating. I
place a large steel bowl on the ways, dial in for about 200 rpm and pour the
seeds into the small hopper. About a 10-15 minute task which finishes with
me saying "Aren't you glad we have a lathe"?

I can see it now, fellow rednecks with their meat grinder turning the lesser
cuts of bambi the deer in to burger and sausage.

I guess it works out, since that safest place to hang the deer is inside
your gar^h^h^hshop.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

"Dave Young" wrote in message
Thanks Harold (and thank you to your wife!)...I'm looking forward to
trying it!

Welcome!

Sorry about the spacing of the post. I copied and pasted the
recipe----not knowing what to expect.

Harold

Man, just reading that recipe tastes good!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 08:54:18 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

I remove the handle of the hand grinder and chuck the whole assembly (chuck
the end of the shaft) in the lather. The grinder is big enough that it
hangs down vertically between the ways which keeps it from rotating. I
place a large steel bowl on the ways, dial in for about 200 rpm and pour the
seeds into the small hopper. About a 10-15 minute task which finishes with
me saying "Aren't you glad we have a lathe"?

I can see it now, fellow rednecks with their meat grinder turning the lesser
cuts of bambi the deer in to burger and sausage.

I guess it works out, since that safest place to hang the deer is inside
your gar^h^h^hshop.

A Redneck Hunter's Christmas Lights:
http://www.thejump.net/humor/lawn-deer.htm

NOTE: No lathe was harmed in the performance of this stunt.

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
--John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold,

Here's the recipe, which makes one hell of a bread. It's moist and heavy----

Enjoy!

[snip]

Thanks! It is very similar to a recipe I adapted. It too called for
powdered milk, which I converted to whole by removing water. You use
more yeast than I do, which is worth a try.

Do you use a rapid-rise yeast? Your rise times seem short in my
experience. It could also be that you get the water warmer than I get
the milk (I do warm it), or it might be the extra 1/2 pack per loaf.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Not exactly for metal. Christmas is coming along and its time to grind
pounds and pounds of poppy seeds. (Iggy probably knows what this is about).

Just dont take any drug tests for a week after eating all that
poppy seed goodies. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 06:01:20 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Heh!

What is it with people like us?

My memory is one of breaking one of my mother's mixing bowels while
screwing around with her mixer.

I'm always amazed to read how much most of us have in common.

Harold

Probably has something to do with the fact that we read the same news
group. Its all in the mentality!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Heh!

What is it with people like us?

My memory is one of breaking one of my mother's mixing bowels while
screwing around with her mixer.

I'm always amazed to read how much most of us have in common.

Harold

Probably has something to do with the fact that we read the same news
group. Its all in the mentality!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I'm of the opinion that we are here *because* we share things in common. I
have a brother that would be bored to tears with pretty much all the
comments posted on this board. We are nothing alike----don't even share a
decent conversation. All the better, considering he lives in Florida, I
live in Washington State.

I firmly believe that those of us that follow this board are quite different
from most guys----not better---not worse-----just different. Very curious
by nature, most of us have explored most things to our satisfaction, and are
creative, not often accepting no as an answer. Lets face it-----we're
cool!

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
Harold,

Here's the recipe, which makes one hell of a bread. It's moist and
heavy----

Enjoy!

[snip]

Thanks! It is very similar to a recipe I adapted. It too called for
powdered milk, which I converted to whole by removing water. You use more
yeast than I do, which is worth a try.

Do you use a rapid-rise yeast? Your rise times seem short in my
experience. It could also be that you get the water warmer than I get the
milk (I do warm it), or it might be the extra 1/2 pack per loaf.

Bill

I checked with the boss. She said she does, indeed, use rapid-rise. I
expect that the extra yeast and the rapid rise is to compensate for the
short period allotted. I got the idea when first introduced to this recipe
(many years ago ----in fact, I was still married to my first wife) that it
was intended to be a fast-to-make recipe. My mother used to bake
bread-----and it took hours from beginning to end. Susan has bread out of
the oven in about two hours from beginning to end. .

It's possible made an adjustment to the recipe long ago, substituting milk
with powdered milk and water. Neither of us drink it, so it wouldn't be
something she'd have on hand all the time. I'm positive your choice is
every bit as good, if not better.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
snip-----

P.S: Hey, 'Arry. I just realized that Chehalis, WA ain't too far a
piece from you. How did you survive the massive downpour? I'm hoping
you and Susan are alright since your screaming-fast Internet link is
still up.

We're fine, being high and dry----but somewhat inconvenienced because it's
the Centralia/Chehalis area where we do our shopping and buy our building
components. Our favorite Mex restaurant was flooded (again), as were almost
all of the new stores in our area. I pity those that were in the heart of
the thing. Some of these folks had little to lose, so it's a greater
hardship than we'll ever know. It's hard to understand how tragic such
events are unless you can view them personally----which we have done. We
were there when it was overflowing the freeway. Seeing those huge concrete
dividers (reputed to weigh 3 tons each) moved by water isn't something you
soon forget. Portions of I-5 were under 10' of water.

Here's a link to some pictures of the damage. Even a couple of the Mex
restaurant, Plaza Jalisco.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeremykingfamily/Flood2007

I'm far from a religious type, but for those that are, pray for these folks.
They can use anything they can get.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:36:30 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
snip-----

P.S: Hey, 'Arry. I just realized that Chehalis, WA ain't too far a
piece from you. How did you survive the massive downpour? I'm hoping
you and Susan are alright since your screaming-fast Internet link is
still up.

We're fine, being high and dry----

but somewhat inconvenienced because it's
the Centralia/Chehalis area where we do our shopping and buy our building

Where will you shop now? It may be months/a year before they're back
in biz.

components. Our favorite Mex restaurant was flooded (again), as were almost
all of the new stores in our area. I pity those that were in the heart of
the thing. Some of these folks had little to lose, so it's a greater
hardship than we'll ever know. It's hard to understand how tragic such
events are unless you can view them personally----which we have done. We
were there when it was overflowing the freeway. Seeing those huge concrete
dividers (reputed to weigh 3 tons each) moved by water isn't something you
soon forget. Portions of I-5 were under 10' of water.

Here's a link to some pictures of the damage. Even a couple of the Mex
restaurant, Plaza Jalisco.

I saw that FedEx truck in another picture group online but didn't know
the restaurant was your favorite. Condolences.

Good luck in finding resuppliers in your area. They'll be inundated by
the rebuilders in the flooded zone.

How did Centralia/Chehalis come to be built on such low ground?

--
My future starts when I wake up every morning...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:04:23 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

I'm of the opinion that we are here *because* we share things in common. I

I wholeheartedly agree.

I firmly believe that those of us that follow this board are quite different
from most guys----not better---not worse-----just different. Very curious
by nature, most of us have explored most things to our satisfaction, and are
creative, not often accepting no as an answer. Lets face it-----we're
cool!

Hear, Hear! And we've all got...The Knack.

--
My future starts when I wake up every morning...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
-- Miles Davis
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
I'm of the opinion that we are here *because* we share things in common. I
have a brother that would be bored to tears with pretty much all the
comments posted on this board. We are nothing alike----don't even share a
decent conversation. All the better, considering he lives in Florida, I
live in Washington State.

I firmly believe that those of us that follow this board are quite different
from most guys----not better---not worse-----just different. Very curious
by nature, most of us have explored most things to our satisfaction, and are
creative, not often accepting no as an answer. Lets face it-----we're
cool!

Harold

EXCEPT for one particular person who jumps at every chance to
complain about an " OFF-TOPIC " post. :-) :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:36:30 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

snip--

but somewhat inconvenienced because it's
the Centralia/Chehalis area where we do our shopping and buy our building

Where will you shop now? It may be months/a year before they're back
in biz.

Indications are that isn't the case. Some of them have already
reopened--and others are talking about relatively fast reopenings-----just
days, not weeks. Large crews have turned up to do the work. We were back
in town last Thursday and were pleasantly surprised to see so much progress.
Home Depot was prepared to do business outside, likely under their loading
area. Wal*Mart was making noise like they'd be open in about ten days.
Frankly, I'm impressed with how fast it's coming back.

How did Centralia/Chehalis come to be built on such low ground?

Considering I'm a relatively new-comer to the area, I don't know that I can
answer that------but logic tells me They were settled where they are because
it was a low lying area. Years ago, they relied on water to transport
almost everything. I imagine the rivers were instrumental in decision
making. I'm open to correction.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
I'm of the opinion that we are here *because* we share things in common.
I have a brother that would be bored to tears with pretty much all the
comments posted on this board. We are nothing alike----don't even share
a decent conversation. All the better, considering he lives in Florida,
I live in Washington State.

I firmly believe that those of us that follow this board are quite
different from most guys----not better---not worse-----just different.
Very curious by nature, most of us have explored most things to our
satisfaction, and are creative, not often accepting no as an answer.
Lets face it-----we're cool!

Harold

EXCEPT for one particular person who jumps at every chance to
complain about an " OFF-TOPIC " post. :-) :-)
...lew...

Chuckle!

Yeah, but we like him in spite of his self. :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:19:38 -0800, the renowned Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 05:04:23 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

I'm of the opinion that we are here *because* we share things in common. I

I wholeheartedly agree.

I firmly believe that those of us that follow this board are quite different
from most guys----not better---not worse-----just different. Very curious
by nature, most of us have explored most things to our satisfaction, and are
creative, not often accepting no as an answer. Lets face it-----we're
cool!

Hear, Hear! And we've all got...The Knack.

Ooh you make my motor run, my motor run.
Gun it comin' off the line Sharona

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Dave Young" wrote in message
[...]

Harold, Thanks much for a neat early Christmas present! My wife made
up a batch yesterday evening and the house smelled _wonderful_ and the
taste is great.
Didn't use the mill or lathe metal content gto mix the dough
'cause the wife loves to do all that by hand.
Thanks again
Bob
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Gentry" wrote in message
snip------

Harold, Thanks much for a neat early Christmas present! My wife made
up a batch yesterday evening and the house smelled _wonderful_ and the
taste is great.
Didn't use the mill or lathe metal content gto mix the dough
'cause the wife loves to do all that by hand.
Thanks again
Bob
rgentry at oz dot net

Thanks, Bob. It's very reassuring to hear others like it. I thought
maybe I was alone. :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:25:52 -0800, Bob Gentry wrote:
[...]

What kind of oil - Way oil? High sulfur cutting oil? 10W
non-detergent turbine oil? 90W Hypoid gear lube? ;-)

Seriously, that one needs a bit of expansion - does it make a
difference if I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (first choice here, trying
to cut down on 'the bad stuff'...) Corn Oil, or the old standby
Partially Hydrogenated Soybean? Taste is a consideration, but
sometimes substituting the wrong ingredient like oil can actually
break the recipe.

Cooking is applied chemistry, and there are arcaneries involved. If
you don't provide the proper catalysts and reagents, Epic Fail.

Mix water, yeast, honey and oil. Stir dry ingredients and add to first
mixture. Let stand in a warm place for 15 minutes.

Knead well for 10 minutes. Form into loaves and place in two well greased
loaf pans.

Let rise 15 minutes in warm oven (80-85 degrees). Remove bread and heat
oven to 350-375 degrees. Replace loaves in oven and bake 50-55 minutes.
Brush tops with butter.

Harold

Harold, Thanks much for a neat early Christmas present! My wife made
up a batch yesterday evening and the house smelled _wonderful_ and the
taste is great.
Didn't use the mill or lathe metal content gto mix the dough
'cause the wife loves to do all that by hand.
Thanks again
Bob
rgentry at oz dot net

If you want to inject some metalworking content and give her a
useful and valuable Christmas present at the same time, go get her an
older Kitchen Aid K5-SS 5-quart stand mixer - not the new version with
the less powerful motor, you want the old reliable battle-axe. And
you need an accessory kit with the dough hook.

Standard admonitions apply - Know your recipient before doing this,
or don't label it as "A Christmas Present" lest you be walking around
really oddly with a mixer's power cord sticking out of your... _
Some wives treat an appliance as a gift as a serious affront.

-- Bruce --