Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Using my lathe today

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

Since Ivan and Igor are privy to the recipe, I assume it must be a
Russian dish. My grandmother, a refugee of the pogroms, used to make
poppy seed shortbread cookies which I loved as a kid. They were called
(phonetic spelling) moonpletzls. I wish I had the recipe.

--
Ned Simmons

I shouldn't speak for Iggy. I suspect he is from the former Soviet Union.
I for one am 100% Hungarian!! Poppy seeds are used around Christmas time to
make poppy seed cake. It takes a special mill because poppy seeds are oily
and must be crushed and not grated, unlike walnuts etc. The crushed seeds
are cooked with honey (or sugar) and used as a filling in a rolled-up baked,
log shaped pastry. (flat log, not round).

I only included Iggy because I've been able to find said pastry in Russian
and east European deli's and figured Iggy would know all about it.

Iggy where are you? ??????

Mmmmmm..... Poppy seed cake.

I can reccomend the Maple Leaf Bakery, in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan, for
theirs!!!

Last time I was there, I picked up 8. They freeze very well.

Worth calling ahead for!

If yer in the area, you will be able to track down the phone number
yourselves. :-)

Nice folks to deal with, too!

Cheers
Trevor Jones