Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Using my lathe today

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Not exactly for metal. Christmas is coming along and its time to grind
pounds and pounds of poppy seeds. (Iggy probably knows what this is
about).

Use to take about 3 hours by hand and using the lathe certainly justified
its purchase to my lovely wife.

I remove the handle of the hand grinder and chuck the whole assembly
(chuck the end of the shaft) in the lather. The grinder is big enough
that it hangs down vertically between the ways which keeps it from
rotating. I place a large steel bowl on the ways, dial in for about 200
rpm and pour the seeds into the small hopper. About a 10-15 minute task
which finishes with me saying "Aren't you glad we have a lathe"?

I've been using my Graziano for grinding wheat in the same way. Susan
makes a killer loaf of whole wheat bread----which we both enjoy, but
grinding the wheat was a tiring job. Not any more.

Harold