Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Using my lathe today

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
snip---

What kind of oil - Way oil? High sulfur cutting oil? 10W
non-detergent turbine oil? 90W Hypoid gear lube? ;-)

Seriously, that one needs a bit of expansion - does it make a
difference if I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (first choice here, trying
to cut down on 'the bad stuff'...) Corn Oil, or the old standby
Partially Hydrogenated Soybean? Taste is a consideration, but
sometimes substituting the wrong ingredient like oil can actually
break the recipe.

I am born of parents that were full blooded Greeks, for what it's worth.
My father immigrated from Greece, and my mother's parents did as well. I
was raised on olive oil, and still use it routinely.

It is not for everyone, due in part to the rather strong taste. Some are
certainly lighter than others, but most olive oil tastes like olive oil.

Having said that, if you like the taste, certainly, olive oil is a good
choice. Probably the best choice. If you'd rather have a more mild taste,
canola oil is a good alternative. That's what Susan uses. I think you'd
find it's a better choice, especially if you enjoy a slice with jam or
honey.

Harold