Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Message no longer available

If I'm not responding to something addressed to me, it's because I'm getting
"Message no longer available on the server" messages for about half of RCM.
The same thing happened after our last sporge attack and it took days to
straighten out.

So, if it was something worthwhile, sorry.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-06, Ed Huntress wrote:
If I'm not responding to something addressed to me, it's because I'm getting
"Message no longer available on the server" messages for about half of RCM.
The same thing happened after our last sporge attack and it took days to
straighten out.

So, if it was something worthwhile, sorry.

Not likely. Your news server has probably killed off the sporge,
or the source machine upstream has sent out cancels for it all, and your
news server is actually *honoring* the cancels :-)

Don't worry about the "no longer avaialble" -- it is junk.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-06, Ed Huntress wrote:
If I'm not responding to something addressed to me, it's because I'm
getting
"Message no longer available on the server" messages for about half of
RCM.
The same thing happened after our last sporge attack and it took days to
straighten out.

So, if it was something worthwhile, sorry.

Not likely. Your news server has probably killed off the sporge,
or the source machine upstream has sent out cancels for it all, and your
news server is actually *honoring* the cancels :-)

Don't worry about the "no longer avaialble" -- it is junk.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Ah, that's a relief. Thanks, Don.

The thing that throws me is that the posts in question were from legit
members and they were on current threads. But when I go to Google to see if
they show up on Google Groups, they're not there. Of course, Google tends to
lag, so I'll check again.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

On 2007-12-06, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Whoop, they're showing up now. Those messages are indeed legit messages that
my server says are "no longer available." But they're showing up on Google
Groups.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" writes:

But they're showing up on Google
Groups.

Google Groups is the Last Resort when it comes to reading news.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 00:22:57 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

If I'm not responding to something addressed to me, it's because I'm getting
"Message no longer available on the server" messages for about half of RCM.
The same thing happened after our last sporge attack and it took days to
straighten out.

So, if it was something worthwhile, sorry.

Learn to like/use an archiving reader like Agent. I keep my
own archive of messages for 13 days and then they will auto
purge. If I mark them as Keep they will be around till I
unmark them. I've replied to kept messages that I have on my
computer a long time after my provider has dumped them.

There are several good archiving readers around. Once you
get used to using one you will wonder how you ever got along
without.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If I'm not responding to something addressed to me, it's because I'm
getting
"Message no longer available on the server" messages for about half of
RCM.
The same thing happened after our last sporge attack and it took days to
straighten out.

So, if it was something worthwhile, sorry.

Learn to like/use an archiving reader like Agent. I keep my
own archive of messages for 13 days and then they will auto
purge. If I mark them as Keep they will be around till I
unmark them. I've replied to kept messages that I have on my
computer a long time after my provider has dumped them.

There are several good archiving readers around. Once you
get used to using one you will wonder how you ever got along
without.

Ok, but how will that help recover messages that never make it past your
news server? That appears to be what happened, although I have no idea how
it works.

The headers were there but the message bodies were not. My news reader never
got a chance to download them at all.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-06, Ed Huntress wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

Don't worry about the "no longer available" -- it is junk.

Ah, that's a relief. Thanks, Don.

The thing that throws me is that the posts in question were from legit
members and they were on current threads. But when I go to Google to see if
they show up on Google Groups, they're not there. Of course, Google tends to
lag, so I'll check again.

That's the "orge" of the "Sporge" They are forgeries -- they
pick up "Subject: " headers and usernames from valid members and forge
both, before filling the body of the articles with garbage.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-06, Ed Huntress wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Hmm ... then your news server's admin was overly zealous in
killing off the sporge. He flushed the entire newsgroup, and then hoped
that the real ones would propagate back in over time (and they probably
will, as long as he also blew away the "history" record of

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-06, Ed Huntress wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Interesting. I usually ignore this stuff, having enough to learn as it is,
but maybe I'll give them a call and see what they say. What you're saying
sounds reasonable.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My news server will probably repost them all in a couple days. :-/

They are really screwed up, and I get a lot of ghosts of day and multi
day old messages, showing up as new.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

The headers were there but the message bodies were not. My news reader
never got a chance to download them at all.

--
Ed Huntress

My news server will probably repost them all in a couple days. :-/

They are really screwed up, and I get a lot of ghosts of day and multi
day old messages, showing up as new.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

That used to happen to me but I haven't had any problems with the
old-messages-as-new for a year or so. I've used this server for around five
or six years now, and they do seem to be getting better. But they do get
fouled up after one of those sporge attacks.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 14:40:51 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I misunderstood what you meant Ed. I thought you were
complaining about old messages that were removed early due
to the sporge attack. I used to see that many years ago
before I switched to Agent. The reader I was using just kept
the headers and always had to retrieve the message bodies
when you went online.

I haven't seen any headers with missing bodies for quite
sometime. I've never been lucky enough (cough) to use
Outlook either, but I always understood that it doesn't
archive messages in newsgroups. I'm probably wrong about
that too...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message

snip

[...]

It's all black magic and hocus-pocus. That's my story and I'm sticking to
it. Fortunately there are experts around to call on when I really need
something computerish, when I need a proctology exam, and when I need to
have a relative embalmed.

--
Ed Huntress