Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Message no longer available

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 14:40:51 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 00:22:57 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

If I'm not responding to something addressed to me, it's because I'm
getting
"Message no longer available on the server" messages for about half of
RCM.
The same thing happened after our last sporge attack and it took days to
straighten out.

So, if it was something worthwhile, sorry.

Learn to like/use an archiving reader like Agent. I keep my
own archive of messages for 13 days and then they will auto
purge. If I mark them as Keep they will be around till I
unmark them. I've replied to kept messages that I have on my
computer a long time after my provider has dumped them.

There are several good archiving readers around. Once you
get used to using one you will wonder how you ever got along
without.

Ok, but how will that help recover messages that never make it past your
news server? That appears to be what happened, although I have no idea how
it works.

The headers were there but the message bodies were not. My news reader never
got a chance to download them at all.

I misunderstood what you meant Ed. I thought you were
complaining about old messages that were removed early due
to the sporge attack. I used to see that many years ago
before I switched to Agent. The reader I was using just kept
the headers and always had to retrieve the message bodies
when you went online.

I haven't seen any headers with missing bodies for quite
sometime. I've never been lucky enough (cough) to use
Outlook either, but I always understood that it doesn't
archive messages in newsgroups. I'm probably wrong about
that too...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b