Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT- Computer Question

I am looking to install multiboot software and ran across one called
"gag" from open source. This appears to be able to boot DOS, Windows,and
various LINUX operating systems. It also appears to be able to be
installed from any operating system.
OK, enough background.
Here is the question. Does anyone have any experience with this program?
Please be complete with good or bad reasons.

Thank you
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:42:19 -0500, Bob Miller
rhmillatenter.net wrote:

I am looking to install multiboot software and ran across one called
"gag" from open source. This appears to be able to boot DOS, Windows,and
various LINUX operating systems. It also appears to be able to be
installed from any operating system.
OK, enough background.
Here is the question. Does anyone have any experience with this program?
Please be complete with good or bad reasons.

Thank you

=============
I am just going down this path, including trying to get an old
laptop with a small hard drive w/W2k to boot Ubuntu Linux from a
usb WD Passport drive, and my main box to boot off a new 300gig
HD for linux only. ( Laptop bios does not allow booting from a
USB device. ) I have tried several freeware packages, and
suggest GRUB [GRand Unified Bootloader]

This should install when you install linux on a windows box.
Note that you will have to log in as "root" [or use sudo and a
text editor Vi/VIM/EMACS] to edit menu.lst which is the config
file for GRUB.

What distro(s) of linux and what version of Windows are you
running?

NB== I highly recommend making up a floppy boot disk with GRUB
and not touching the base GRUB/menu.lst on your hard drive as a
single period in the wrong place means you can't boot your
computer. ==

for more info click on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux...w2k-HOWTO.html

google on GRUB for 15.3kk hits.
GRUB bootloader for 1kk hits
GRUB bootloader floppy for 250k hits
including
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Bootable_Floppy_with_GRUB
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Miller wrote:
I am looking to install multiboot software and ran across one called
"gag" from open source. This appears to be able to boot DOS, Windows,and
various LINUX operating systems. It also appears to be able to be
installed from any operating system.
OK, enough background.
Here is the question. Does anyone have any experience with this program?
Please be complete with good or bad reasons.

Although it is not free, VMware allows you to run several OS'es at the
SAME time!
I run Linux (verious old Mandrake versions, need to update) as the main
system, and run Win2K Pro as the "guest" system. It runs MUCH more
stably on a virtual system than on real hardware, and stays up for
months at a time. This allows you to switch back and forth in seconds,
move files from one system to the other with Samba networking, etc.
I have this setup both at home and on my desk at work.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:42:19 -0500, Bob Miller rhmillatenter.net wrote:
I am looking to install multiboot software and ran across one called
"gag" from open source. This appears to be able to boot DOS, Windows,and
various LINUX operating systems. It also appears to be able to be
installed from any operating system.
OK, enough background.
Here is the question. Does anyone have any experience with this program?
Please be complete with good or bad reasons.

I'd be able to help if you were asking about LILO or GRUB. What's GAG
got that those don't?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
Although it is not free, VMware allows you to run several OS'es at the
SAME time!

First, VMWare is not free, but VMPlayer is.
Download from VMware site.

Second, lots of premade "appliances" available
for free, mostly on the VMware site.

Third, if you install Linux first you can then install
vmplayer in it, download a 10 gig blank "appliance"
then install your legal copy of Windows in it.

Google is your friend.

technomaNge
--
Please visit http://www.anysoldier.com
and make a donation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Miller rhmillatenter.net writes:

I am looking to install multiboot software and ran across one called
"gag" from open source. This appears to be able to boot DOS,
Windows,and various LINUX operating systems. It also appears to be
able to be installed from any operating system.
OK, enough background.
Here is the question. Does anyone have any experience with this program?
Please be complete with good or bad reasons.

I've never heard of GAG. GRUB has become the standard open-source and
free bootloader; has a lot of development, and is really the only one
to be considered. It has displaced the earlier LILO.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 29, 2:42 pm, Bob Miller rhmillatenter.net wrote:
I am looking to install multiboot software and ran across one called
"gag" from open source. This appears to be able to boot DOS, Windows,and
various LINUX operating systems. ...
Thank you

I've done multiboot by installing Win2000 with FAT32 and creating a
DOS (from Win98) boot floppy with COMSPEC=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM at the
end of AUTOEXEC.BAT.
Boot sequence is A:, CD, C:
Remove the floppy for Windows, insert to boot DOS which will run from
C:.

Knoppix runs on NTFS and I think you could do something similar with a
CD, but I haven't tried it yet. The WinTV 950 works well enough that I
stopped chasing MythTV.

These assume you want all your files accessible from both operating
systems. I haven't found a DOS variant that works well on NTFS.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

thanks for the answers and thoughts. I now have some more searching and
reading to do.

BTW I am running win98se/P3 on my desktop and xp pro/P3 on my laptop

Computer question (OT, of course) cavelamb himself[_4_] Metalworking 65 November 13th 07 05:06 PM
Computer question 2 Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬) UK diy 4 May 29th 07 07:17 PM
OT Computer Question Jack Hayes Metalworking 6 December 17th 05 08:59 PM
computer question SteveB Metalworking 8 November 26th 05 08:06 PM
Computer Question Tom Electronics Repair 6 April 21st 05 01:27 PM