Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where to get 127 tooth change gear for SB 9?

Can anyone point me to possible sources for this critter?

Thanks,
DOC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 23, 10:33 am, wrote:
Can anyone point me to possible sources for this critter?

Thanks,
DOC

No idea where you can get such a gear. You could try to make one.

That's the hard and expensive way.

The smart way is to use a 63 tooth gear which is much cheaper to get,
I believe.

I worked out the arithmetic for use of such a gear some years ago and,
while the conversion is not exact, it is so close that the inaccuracy
would get lost in the accumulated tolerances of the lead screw and
gear train.

If you are interested in pursuing this let me know and I will dig out
my scribbles.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bought change gears from Scott Logan for my 10EE and modified to fit. I'm
sure you can do the same. I used a smaller gear set that is only off .02%
but he has the 127 also if that's what you want.

Loganact.com I think

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 07:33:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Can anyone point me to possible sources for this critter?

Union Gear and Boston Gear both list 127T 16DP change gears. Ametric
shows 127T metric spur gears in modules 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 23, 12:09 pm, _
wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:02:29 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Nov 23, 10:33 am, wrote:
Can anyone point me to possible sources for this critter?

Thanks,
DOC

No idea where you can get such a gear. You could try to make one.

That's the hard and expensive way.

The smart way is to use a 63 tooth gear which is much cheaper to get,
I believe.

I worked out the arithmetic for use of such a gear some years ago and,
while the conversion is not exact, it is so close that the inaccuracy
would get lost in the accumulated tolerances of the lead screw and
gear train.

The inaccuracy is only 1 part in 127, but it is all in one direction. If
you are threading a long part it could be a problem.

The error is MUCH smaller than 1 in 127, provided the proper gear
train is set up. There is more to it than a straight substitution
plus 1 to 2 ratio.

As I said, if there is interest I will dig out my calcs.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:06:35 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I bought change gears from Scott Logan for my 10EE and modified to fit. I'm
sure you can do the same. I used a smaller gear set that is only off .02%
but he has the 127 also if that's what you want.

Loganact.com I think

Karl

47:37
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 15:59:41 +1100, Jordan

Can anyone point me to possible sources for this critter?

Check out this Australian dealer's site, under "Hercus lathe parts" near
bottom of page. Hercus9 is close copy of SB9, pretty sure gears will fit.
http://www.moyles.com.au/

the hercus is actually an exact clone of the southbend.

try the hercus website as well. the guys who now run hercus
engineering have nearly all the hercus spares.
steve will respond to an email query.

hercus btw are gear makers and light engineering now so making a gear
shouldnt be a problem.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Nov 23, 10:33 am, wrote:
Can anyone point me to possible sources for this critter?

Thanks,
DOC

http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/cat_leaf.php?id=120

These should work just fine. I bought a used one for a Boxford and it
worked.

Bill Graves RKBA!