CAMCOMPCO

Default lOGAN CHANGE GEAR QUESTION

Hi Gang, new to group (first posting);

I have a question, I just tried changing the gears on my Logan 200 (no
QC), got sidetracked, came back to it 2 days later and can't figure out
the right way to put it all back together. I have the manual, not very
helpful in this area....

The is a Bolt (with a thick end, kind of like a t-nut on my mill),steel
sleeve with a flat wide bottom (hollow all of the way through), a brass
bushing, a washer, 2 gears and a nut. When I get it all back together,
the gear seems to loose.

The part numbers are La 232,249,312,313,314,325,026,0539.

Can someone talk me through this re-assembly process...I feel like a
dope, but no mater the order I try, the gears feel to wobbley (sp).

Thanks all

John
Chicago subburbs (far west)

Karl Townsend

I have a question, I just tried changing the gears on my Logan 200 (no
QC), got sidetracked, came back to it 2 days later and can't figure out
the right way to put it all back together. I have the manual, not very
helpful in this area....

The is a Bolt (with a thick end, kind of like a t-nut on my mill),steel
sleeve with a flat wide bottom (hollow all of the way through), a brass
bushing, a washer, 2 gears and a nut. When I get it all back together,
the gear seems to loose.

The part numbers are La 232,249,312,313,314,325,026,0539.

Can someone talk me through this re-assembly process...I feel like a
dope, but no mater the order I try, the gears feel to wobbley (sp).

Thanks all

John
Chicago subburbs (far west)

Scott Logan lives in your back yard. Very helpful guy. And, has any parts
you might need.
http://www.loganact.com/

Karl

Ok. take two gears the bronze bushing (it should have a square key)
and a nut that fits the threaded end of the bushing.

Assemble these so that the gear you want on the inside faces the
flanged side of the bushing. You don't need to tighten the nut too
much. It just keeps the gears together.

Then, oil the long part of the steel tube and slide it into the
flanged end of the bushing.

Put the tee bolt through the banjo from the headstock side.

Slide the gear assemble over the tee bolt so that all the flanges face
the headstock, and nestle the projection on the steel tube into the
slot.

Then put the washer and nut on the end of the teebolt that sticks out,
adjust your gears for backlash and tighten them down

Paul K. Dickman

On 12 Aug 2005 17:00:38 -0700, "CAMCOMPCO"
wrote:

Hi Gang, new to group (first posting);

I have a question, I just tried changing the gears on my Logan 200 (no
QC), got sidetracked, came back to it 2 days later and can't figure out
the right way to put it all back together. I have the manual, not very
helpful in this area....

The is a Bolt (with a thick end, kind of like a t-nut on my mill),steel
sleeve with a flat wide bottom (hollow all of the way through), a brass
bushing, a washer, 2 gears and a nut. When I get it all back together,
the gear seems to loose.

The part numbers are La 232,249,312,313,314,325,026,0539.

Can someone talk me through this re-assembly process...I feel like a
dope, but no mater the order I try, the gears feel to wobbley (sp).

Thanks all

John
Chicago subburbs (far west)

CAMCOMPCO

Thanks, but....
There was no nut that went over the threaded part on the brass
bushing....Also, only one of the brass bushings even has a thread on
it....could it be that the previous owner replaced it or something...I
don't know.

Also, the brass bushing does not have a flange...
I have posted three photos he
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/Img_0554.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/IMG_0552.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/IMG_0553.jpg

Thanks for any (continued) help......

Maybe it's just that the gears are intended to be loose on the
lathe...the nut bottms out on the long metal tupe with a flange on it
(i think it is called the sleeve (LA-313 I think)

CAMCOMPCO

Here is a photo of it all together, note the gap....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._tight_fit.jpg

If that is normal, then I am fine...just seems odd to me.

Thanks again ;-)

Scott S. Logan

wrote:

Hi Gang, new to group (first posting);

I have a question, I just tried changing the gears on my Logan 200 (no
QC), got sidetracked, came back to it 2 days later and can't figure out
the right way to put it all back together. I have the manual, not very
helpful in this area....

The is a Bolt (with a thick end, kind of like a t-nut on my mill),steel
sleeve with a flat wide bottom (hollow all of the way through), a brass
bushing, a washer, 2 gears and a nut. When I get it all back together,
the gear seems to loose.

The part numbers are La 232,249,312,313,314,325,026,0539.

Can someone talk me through this re-assembly process...I feel like a
dope, but no mater the order I try, the gears feel to wobbley (sp).

John,

Sorry to dash your hopes, but the parts shown in your pictures are NOT
Logan parts (except maybe the gears). For reference, the gears should
be 7/16" thick, 5/8" ID, and have a 5/32" keyway.

That probably explains why the manual was not much help, in this case,
and also why the gears end up loose.

With the correct parts and the correct assembly, the stud should turn
freely, but the gears should not be loose.

Feel free to call me Monday (815-943-9500), and we can discuss
further.

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Harvard, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/

Yes, this is wrong.
The flange on the bushing acts as a thrust washer between the gears
and the sleave. It also serves to locate the gears away from the banjo
and in the proper alignment with the other gears in the train.

In your setup the gears are free to grind against the banjo, the
sleave and the other gears.

They can also separate from each other leaving an unsupported section
of bushing bearing the load.

Properly tightened, the nut on the end of the tee bolt locks the
cleave to the banjo making it a solid non rotating axle. The gear
bushing assembly should rotate freely on this axle with a couple of
thousanths side to side clearance. The side to side thrust is borne by
the flange on the bushing on the headstock side and by a slight
projection of the bushing on the nut end of the axle.

Like Scott, I suggest you aquire the proper parts. As a stop gap
measure, you could make a couple of bronze thrust washers for each
side to take the thrust, locate the gears and to take up the excess
side to side clearance.

Paul K. Dickman

On 13 Aug 2005 09:47:10 -0700, "CAMCOMPCO"
wrote:

Thanks, but....
There was no nut that went over the threaded part on the brass
bushing....Also, only one of the brass bushings even has a thread on
it....could it be that the previous owner replaced it or something...I
don't know.

Also, the brass bushing does not have a flange...
I have posted three photos he
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/Img_0554.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/IMG_0552.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/IMG_0553.jpg

Thanks for any (continued) help......

Maybe it's just that the gears are intended to be loose on the
lathe...the nut bottms out on the long metal tupe with a flange on it
(i think it is called the sleeve (LA-313 I think)

CAMCOMPCO

Thanks for all of the help Paul, Scott and Karl.

I hope to be able to help you (and others) in the days and months to
come.

Cheers.

John