Wayne Mak

Default Change gear ID

I bought 2 boxes of pillow blocks today just because the price was right. I
found what looks like a set of lathe change gears in the box. they are
smaller than the gears used on a south bend 9" everyone is marked with the #
of teeth and "M6" any ideas? maybe an atlas 6"??? I did see an atlas TS in
his piles of stuff he is selling. The man is 80 years old and still sharp.
LOTS of stuff he is cleaning out.

Paul K. Dickman

Ya, that's probably off an atlas six.
They are a zamak gear with a 1/2" bore with two keyways, and stack on a
babbitt bushing with a 3/8" bore.

Paul K. Dickman

#
of teeth and "M6" any ideas? maybe an atlas 6"??? I did see an atlas TS in
his piles of stuff he is selling. The man is 80 years old and still sharp.
LOTS of stuff he is cleaning out.

Grant Erwin

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Ya, that's probably off an atlas six.
They are a zamak gear with a 1/2" bore with two keyways, and stack on a
babbitt bushing with a 3/8" bore.

And they self-disintegrate over the years too. My father-in-law had 2 Atlas
6" lathes. The first one he junked (by tossing it down behind his workbench)
because of the "rotting back gears" problem.

Grant

Paul K. Dickman

Grant Erwin wrote in message ...

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Ya, that's probably off an atlas six.
They are a zamak gear with a 1/2" bore with two keyways, and stack on a
babbitt bushing with a 3/8" bore.

And they self-disintegrate over the years too. My father-in-law had 2 Atlas
6" lathes. The first one he junked (by tossing it down behind his

workbench)
because of the "rotting back gears" problem.

Grant

The backgears go easy, because they have a thin wall in the small end.
The change gears seem to work fine.

Paul K. Dickman

Wayne Mak

Sounds like the gears they have the 2 keyway slots, they don't look to be
used much. Well if they are atlas gears it looks like the pillow blocks will
be free I am sure they will get $50 for the set. Now what to do with the
40 or so pillow blocks and misc bearings????

GTO69RA4

Ya, that's probably off an atlas six.
They are a zamak gear with a 1/2" bore with two keyways, and stack on a
babbitt bushing with a 3/8" bore.

Paul K. Dickman

How do you tell between 6" gears and those for a 10-12"? I know the larger
lathes came with more, but are the gears different?

Wayne: How many were in this set?

GTO(John)
Wayne Mak

9 gears they look like they would be small for a 10"
I can send a picture if you wish.

GTO69RA4

9 gears they look like they would be small for a 10"
I can send a picture if you wish.

Nine gears would be a full set for the Atlas 6". What's the ID?

GTO(John)
Wayne Mak

I see m6 and the # of teeth stamped on the gears not much else.
How are things up in MA?? Been busy here projects just keep coming.

GTO69RA4

I see m6 and the # of teeth stamped on the gears not much else.
How are things up in MA?? Been busy here projects just keep coming.

Things are busy here. Actually just got a pretty nifty score, but I'll post
about that in another thread.

What's the inside diameter on those gears? I assume they're for a 6" lathe,
since the 10" gears I have (oops) don't say M6.
GTO(John)
Wayne Mak

Ok this is toooo odd. I just picked up a atlas 6" today, and yes same gears.
Cute little lathe