Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN TMN is offline

Default How to clean coolant reservoir ??

Hi

I upgraded to Rong Fu 7x12 band saw - what a pleasure compared to a
4x6 !! - I just played with the adjustable hydraulic cylinder last
night - wife thought it strange !!!

The saw has been standing for a long time and the coolant tank is
lined with a sticky,greasy brown muck - any tricks to clean it out
easily the hole the pump fits into is quite small.

thanks
Tim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"TMN" wrote in message
Hi

I upgraded to Rong Fu 7x12 band saw - what a pleasure compared to a
4x6 !! - I just played with the adjustable hydraulic cylinder last
night - wife thought it strange !!!

The saw has been standing for a long time and the coolant tank is
lined with a sticky,greasy brown muck - any tricks to clean it out
easily the hole the pump fits into is quite small.

thanks
Tim

As a suggestion, you might contact a local machine tool and supply
dealership.. They often offer chemical coolants, along with a chemical sump
cleaner. The solution is added to clean water (hot works faster) in the
sump, and circulated until the crud has been well dissolved. That will
solve the riddle nicely. If it's quite badly encrusted, you may have to
repeat the application.

Should you discover the sump has previously contained oil----you may be able
to dissolve the mess with Stoddard solvent, or common mineral spirits.

Do clean the sump until all crud has been removed, which will help prevent a
stinking sump in the future. You might also prepare an aeration device
once you have installed new coolant. A small air compressor and stone such
as might be found in a fish aquarium would serve adequately. It takes very
little. Keeping the coolant aerated will help prevent sump bacteria and
prolong its useful life. Keeping tramp oils out is also very helpful.

Luck!

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN TMN is offline

On Nov 23, 11:37 am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
"TMN" wrote in message

[...]

thank you Harold - I new I would get a suggestion here !

There is quite a lining of oil in the tank - maybe from the anti rust
grease that was on the vice bed from new ??

This was a good find, it is a couple of years old but has seen very
very little work. In buying second hand machines I think surface rust
can be your friend !!!
I was busy with a hydraulic cylinder and completed a suds pump for the
4x6 but this 7x12 is in a different league! (at least for me)

thanks

Tim
South Africa
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim,

This was a good find, it is a couple of years old but has seen very
very little work. In buying second hand machines I think surface rust
can be your friend !!!

How so? My thoughts on _minor_ oil leaks in engines have changed. My
car has long had problems with seeping leaks. I never saw it as an
advantage until I bought my used pickup. The rust on the truck's engine
is arguably worse than the rust-preventing layer of gunk on my car's
engine. BTW, any time clear oil hits the ground, I start looking for
the source.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Was: How to clean coolant reservoir ?? Now coolant choices

Slightly off the topic, but I put a home made coolant system on my old
surface grinder when I bought it about 7 9or 8 years ago. My brother
told me how bad it smells around surface grinders because of the rancid
coolant, so I went to an industrial lubricant company and asked if
anything could be done to avoid the smell. They sold me a 5 gallon pail
of hi-tech coolant for $135. It gets diluted 32:1. There is NO
offensive smell, even though I leave the coolant in the tank for a
couple of years at a time, only adding water to top it off until the
level of sludge in the 15 gallon tank is 3 or 4 inches deep.
A good investment for me. I hope this can translate to your saw. (I
still have my 4 X 6 which I run dry).

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------------

TMN wrote:
Hi

I upgraded to Rong Fu 7x12 band saw - what a pleasure compared to a
4x6 !! - I just played with the adjustable hydraulic cylinder last
night - wife thought it strange !!!

The saw has been standing for a long time and the coolant tank is
lined with a sticky,greasy brown muck - any tricks to clean it out
easily the hole the pump fits into is quite small.

thanks
Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Slightly off the topic, but I put a home made coolant system on my old
surface grinder when I bought it about 7 9or 8 years ago. My brother
told me how bad it smells around surface grinders because of the rancid
coolant, so I went to an industrial lubricant company and asked if
anything could be done to avoid the smell. They sold me a 5 gallon pail
of hi-tech coolant for $135. It gets diluted 32:1. There is NO
offensive smell, even though I leave the coolant in the tank for a couple
of years at a time, only adding water to top it off until the level of
sludge in the 15 gallon tank is 3 or 4 inches deep.
A good investment for me. I hope this can translate to your saw. (I
still have my 4 X 6 which I run dry).

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------------

Pete,

Can you provide more information on the hi-tech coolant you mentioned?
Stinky coolant has been a problem with machining as long as I've been in the
shop----and no doubt long before. If your material is safe for use, it's
a bargain in the scheme of things.

The only chemical additive I ever saw that was useful was a powder substance
that was added to water. it remained clear after addition, and served to
prevent rust and didn't allow any bacterial growth. I do not recall the
name at this point, but it was known to cause kidney problems. It's
likely no coincidence that the owner of the surface grinder I used on
occasion through the years, had a kidney transplant, and had been on
dialysis prior. I should mention that he also has diabetes.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Can you provide more information on the hi-tech coolant you mentioned?

I had CIMCool and kept it for at least 5 years without getting rancid.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN TMN is offline

On Nov 23, 4:33 pm, Bill Schwab wrote:
Tim,

In buying second hand machines I think surface rust
can be your friend !!!

How so?
Bill

Bill,

I live in Port Elizabeth, South Africa - a kind of mini Detroit -
VWs,Opel,GM etc products are manufactured/assembled here (There is
even a Hummer 3 plant here).
The majority of secondhand machines are from the industries associated
with vehicle manufacture - large and expensive (for a home shop
hobbiest like myself) so virtually all my machinery has come places
other than tool dealers. I have bought from secondhand stores, swop
shops etc I bought my mill from an ex Harbor Freight buyer who moved
to South Africa and started importing the stuff he used to buy for HF
in USA.(It didn't last and I got the mill when it folded)

At places that are *not* tool dealers I find that a new shiny cheap
tool will have a considerably higher price tag than a good quality
older tool that is in good condition other than surface rust. You guys
who live the USA and GB are lucky in that the small machine scene is
much bigger - over here you may wait a long time to get a small
machine at a good price.

Tim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I've been running Hangsterfer S-500 in a CNC mill without any bacterial
growth or odor problems. It's been nearly a year on the current charge (5%
in water) with periodic top offs - mostly water with a little fresh coolant
once in a while but the mill only gets used a few times a month. AIR, it
was around $100 for a 5-gal pail.

From what I've seen none of the coolants that get the best/most
recommendations are sold through the big tool distributors - you have to
find a local distributor through the manufacturer's web site.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:19:46 -0600, "Mike Henry"

news

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Slightly off the topic, but I put a home made coolant system on my old
surface grinder when I bought it about 7 9or 8 years ago. My brother
told me how bad it smells around surface grinders because of the rancid
coolant, so I went to an industrial lubricant company and asked if
anything could be done to avoid the smell. They sold me a 5 gallon pail
of hi-tech coolant for $135. It gets diluted 32:1. There is NO
offensive smell, even though I leave the coolant in the tank for a couple
of years at a time, only adding water to top it off until the level of
sludge in the 15 gallon tank is 3 or 4 inches deep.
A good investment for me. I hope this can translate to your saw. (I
still have my 4 X 6 which I run dry).

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------------

I hate to say this after you bought the new stuff but for years we
used water and soluble oil for grinders. The water keeps things cool
and washes away the grindings while the oil keeps the rust under
control. Hardly ever smelled bad but when it did we just drained the
tank, flushed with water and refilled. Seems to me it was actually a
radiator additive and turned the water white like milk.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
snip---

I've been running Hangsterfer S-500 in a CNC mill without any bacterial
growth or odor problems. It's been nearly a year on the current charge
(5% in water) with periodic top offs - mostly water with a little fresh
coolant once in a while but the mill only gets used a few times a month.
AIR, it was around $100 for a 5-gal pail.

From what I've seen none of the coolants that get the best/most
recommendations are sold through the big tool distributors - you have to
find a local distributor through the manufacturer's web site.

Mike

Thanks for your comments, Mike. Can you tell me how you're dealing with
tramp oils? My biggest concern is my Graziano, and possibly my Overbeck
grinder, which I have never used at this point. I fear the grinder will
contribute as badly as the Graziano, by design. I know, from years of
using the Graziano, that the oil is troublesome, but they made no provisions
for skimming. It can be done, but will require modification to the lathe
base casting. Having coolant available is worth the effort, so it's
something I will likely address in the future, when I get the shop fully
operational.

Years back I was very familiar with HoCut 237, which was used primarily in
grinding equipment where I once worked. It was quite good, although it,
too, slowly got funky. I believe Houghton has a new formulation that is
reputed to resist getting smelly-----which I'll explore as well.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:19:46 -0600, "Mike Henry"

news

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'd rather have ice picks stuck in my eyes. I'm quite familiar with
it----and don't like it, not in any form, for any reason. The damned stuff
stinks (to me) even when it's not rancid, and is too sticky for comfortable
use. Not just the machine-- I found my hands were sticky after using a
machine so equipped. While you may have worked where it was used in
grinders, it would be a dreadful choice, not only for its stickiness, but
grinding fluid should be quite thin, easy to see through, so picking up
surfaces isn't difficult. That's what was so extra good about Hocut 237.
Very pale, like weak lemonade. Nice fragrance when fresh, too.

There's nothing to compare with the chemical coolants, but they're not
cheap, and some, obviously, serve better than others. It's been more than
20 years since coolant was an issue for me----I'm hoping to discover the
latest and best.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...
"Mike Henry" wrote in message
snip---

I've been running Hangsterfer S-500 in a CNC mill without any bacterial
growth or odor problems. It's been nearly a year on the current charge
(5% in water) with periodic top offs - mostly water with a little fresh
coolant once in a while but the mill only gets used a few times a month.
AIR, it was around $100 for a 5-gal pail.

From what I've seen none of the coolants that get the best/most
[...]

Up until recently tramp oils were dealt with by removing the lid on the
6-gal coolant tank and sopping up the tramp oil with some paper towels.
That's messy, really awkward, and not all that effective so I've just
purchased an Abanaki Lil' Blue belt skimmer. It's in a temporary mount at
the moment and the coolant pump can't be used to mix the coolant, but it's
cleaned up the coolant on one side of the tank baffle nicely.

I can't find a page for the skimmer on the Abanaki web site now, but it
looks similar to their Mighty Mini he

http://www.abanaki.com/mightymi.html

I'm not familiar with your Graziano lathe and it's coolant system but there
are all sorts of skimming options out there. A tubing-type skimmer might be
a better option if you have limited space. There's an animation here of one
such system on a lathe with a coolant sump in the base:

http://www.abanaki.com/coolant_products.html#TubeTastic

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:06:07 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:19:46 -0600, "Mike Henry"

news
"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Maybe I wasn't explicate enough. We filled the coolant tank with water
and then added, maybe, a pint of water soluble oil. The result was a
sort of "white" water that had little if any smell and no oily or
sticky feel to it.

The intent was to use water as the coolant for the grinding wheel and
work with only enough soluble oil in it to prevent rust. Worked, at
least fir the several years I was in that shop.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:19:46 -0600, "Mike Henry"

news
"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That's a novel approach. My only experience with soluble oils revolves
around heavy concentrations, which I was powerless to control, being but an
employee in the shops in question.

Even Hocut was used in that fashion in all but the centerless grinder, where
lubrication for the blade was a requirement. The concept is certainly
worth exploration.

Thanks, Bruce.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Henry wrote:
... A tubing-type skimmer ... animation here ...

http://www.abanaki.com/coolant_products.html#TubeTastic

Oh, that's clever! Give that man a patent. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Mike Henry wrote:
... A tubing-type skimmer ... animation here ...

http://www.abanaki.com/coolant_products.html#TubeTastic

Oh, that's clever! Give that man a patent. Bob

I tried to view that damned thing and there is no joy. Not sure if it's my
dialup or the computer itself---but I'm grateful for the link. Thanks,
Mike.

Care to comment on what you saw? At this point I'm totally in the dark.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mobil among others make soluble oil. Naturally there is a large industry.

When I was slabbing out various stone - no not headstones, more book ends and
desk stuff and kitchen...
Our large slab saws - 40" disk allowed us to get 18" under the blade and
mounting hardware. It was in a large hormonal tank that contained a vice that
moved in slow motion. We got one new soluble oil - and it Jelled. Once running
it liquefied.

It kept the rock cool enough and the diamond cool enough to simply cut not shatter.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:19:46 -0600, "Mike Henry"

news "spaco" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It appears to be a captive plastic of some type, perhaps had pores
to help - the tube rotates around and from the source tank to the
deposit tank. Think of a twisted dish towel (maybe) and it acting like
an Archimedes spiral that is in a loop and constantly pulling upwards.

Something like that. I noticed a large fender washer tie wrapped in the
loop to keep the plastic down in the mix. Plastic likely floats without it.

Mike Henry wrote:
... A tubing-type skimmer ... animation here ...

http://www.abanaki.com/coolant_products.html#TubeTastic

Oh, that's clever! Give that man a patent. Bob

I tried to view that damned thing and there is no joy. Not sure if it's my
dialup or the computer itself---but I'm grateful for the link. Thanks,
Mike.

Care to comment on what you saw? At this point I'm totally in the dark.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

et...

Mike Henry wrote:
... A tubing-type skimmer ... animation here ...

http://www.abanaki.com/coolant_products.html#TubeTastic

Oh, that's clever! Give that man a patent. Bob

I tried to view that damned thing and there is no joy. Not sure if it's my
dialup or the computer itself---but I'm grateful for the link. Thanks,
Mike.

Care to comment on what you saw? At this point I'm totally in the dark.

Martin nailed it pretty well. The simulation showed the skimmer body
mounted on the outside of a lathe base/pedestal with an endless tube
protruding through a rectangular cutout in the base and dangling into the
sump. The tube rotates through the coolant and picks up tramp oil which is
then scraped off as it enters the skimmer body and is dropped into a trough
on the skimmer that channels it to a tramp oil collection container, also
outside the lathe sump. It seemed like it might be a good candidate for
sumps that don't have an easy way to mount a belt of disc skimmer which
generally have to be mounted directly over the sump and I gather that's not
an option for your Graziano.

Zebra also makes a similar oil skimmer and it's pictured he

http://www.beacontechnology.com/mate...machineskates/

with a basic description of how it works and you can see videos of them here
in 1.7, 3.4 and 60.1 MB versions. The 2 smaller files are MOV format
(Quicktime?) and the large one is AVI. The AVI looks like it will take ~20
minutes to download on my cable connection, so you probably don't want to
try that on dialup. BTW, you might find it quicker to right cick on the
video link and save it to your hard disk and play it from there rather than
to left click and play it from the link.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Henry wrote:
http://www.beacontechnology.com/mate...machineskates/

"machineskates"???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

et...

Mike Henry wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip, Mike. I am likely one of the worst on this group where
computer skills are concerned, and had no idea about right clicking. I'll
investigate these items in good time.

You nailed the situation with my Graziano. It would be dead easy to apply
the skimmer you described, while anything more complex would border on
impossible. Lathes equipped with coolant are particularly bad for tramp
oils, considering the chip pan catches everything and shuttles it to the
sump.

I should have done something about tramp oils long ago, but there was
precious little on the market when I was actively machining. A lot has
happened in that department since '83! :-)

Thanks, all, for the great tips and descriptions.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

.net...

Mike Henry wrote:

[...]

Harold,

Oil skimmers have been around at least as long as that.

I can recall seeing disk type skimmers being used to pick diesel fuel
off the tops of sumps, from when I was still in school. I graduated High
school around the same time you retired. :-)

There are a pile of variations on the skimmer theme.

That endless tube one is a pretty nice variation. If one were willing
to add a small pump to the workings, one could use juts about any
version, in any location, as the only access needed would be the power
lead and the output pipe.

Hmmm....

:-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Henry wrote:
http://www.beacontechnology.com/mate...machineskates/

"machineskates"???

Oops - that was a link for something I've been considering. Guess I don't
multitask well.

The links were supposed to be:

http://www.zebraskimmers.com/oil_ski...tml#Sidewinder

and

http://www.zebraskimmers.com/product...ure_video.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

snip-

Oil skimmers have been around at least as long as that.

They were, and I recall them----but were in limited use. Same with coolant
filtration. Most machines were not so equipped. It was the development of
the CNC machines that was the driving force to improve technology in those
fields, or so it seems.

I can recall seeing disk type skimmers being used to pick diesel fuel off
the tops of sumps, from when I was still in school. I graduated High
school around the same time you retired. :-)

That is the very model I recall.

By the time I left the shop, I was burned out on machining. It had become
very burdensome to me, and my new vocation kept me at arms length. I lost
all interest in running the machines, and still run them pretty much under
protest. I'm still stuck, technologically, back in the early 80's as a
result, much to my chagrin.

I've long been curious about your age. It would be interesting to put a
face on the folks we talk with, eh?

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Great for production. Start with cutting oil. Spray over work...
skim oil from drippings and put into cutting oil tank for recycle.
Better than a filter - as a filter fills and requires replacement and
might starve a cut if low on oil.

Trevor Jones wrote:
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

et...

Mike Henry wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

43.

I act a lot more immature than that, much of the time. :-)

There is a place in the dropbox to place pictures of ourselves.
shrug Never got around to it.

Lesse.
http://www3.telus. net/rwenig/Estevan.html
(knock the space out of the address, and it should work OK)
Me.
4th picture down.
Sadly, I am certain that I still wear that sweater, and that ball cap.

The skimmers I was seeing, were used in a local spring fed creek, to
pick the leaked diesel (local railyard) off it before it hit the river.

The principle, though, was identical. The belt and tube types are all
the same principle in a different package, so I cannot say I am all that
excited to see the variations.

Cheers
Trevor Jones