Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default How to clean coolant reservoir ?? Now coolant choices

news

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
Slightly off the topic, but I put a home made coolant system on my old
surface grinder when I bought it about 7 9or 8 years ago. My brother
told me how bad it smells around surface grinders because of the rancid
coolant, so I went to an industrial lubricant company and asked if
anything could be done to avoid the smell. They sold me a 5 gallon pail
of hi-tech coolant for $135. It gets diluted 32:1. There is NO
offensive smell, even though I leave the coolant in the tank for a couple
of years at a time, only adding water to top it off until the level of
sludge in the 15 gallon tank is 3 or 4 inches deep.
A good investment for me. I hope this can translate to your saw. (I
still have my 4 X 6 which I run dry).

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------------

Pete,

Can you provide more information on the hi-tech coolant you mentioned?
Stinky coolant has been a problem with machining as long as I've been in
the shop----and no doubt long before. If your material is safe for use,
it's a bargain in the scheme of things.

The only chemical additive I ever saw that was useful was a powder
substance that was added to water. it remained clear after addition, and
served to prevent rust and didn't allow any bacterial growth. I do not
recall the name at this point, but it was known to cause kidney problems.
It's likely no coincidence that the owner of the surface grinder I used on
occasion through the years, had a kidney transplant, and had been on
dialysis prior. I should mention that he also has diabetes.

Harold

I've been running Hangsterfer S-500 in a CNC mill without any bacterial
growth or odor problems. It's been nearly a year on the current charge (5%
in water) with periodic top offs - mostly water with a little fresh coolant
once in a while but the mill only gets used a few times a month. AIR, it
was around $100 for a 5-gal pail.

From what I've seen none of the coolants that get the best/most
recommendations are sold through the big tool distributors - you have to
find a local distributor through the manufacturer's web site.

Mike