Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to clean coolant reservoir ?? Now coolant choices

Great for production. Start with cutting oil. Spray over work...
skim oil from drippings and put into cutting oil tank for recycle.
Better than a filter - as a filter fills and requires replacement and
might starve a cut if low on oil.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Trevor Jones wrote:
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

et...

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

Mike Henry wrote:

... A tubing-type skimmer ... animation here ...

http://www.abanaki.com/coolant_products.html#TubeTastic

Oh, that's clever! Give that man a patent. Bob

I tried to view that damned thing and there is no joy. Not sure if
it's my dialup or the computer itself---but I'm grateful for the
link. Thanks, Mike.

Care to comment on what you saw? At this point I'm totally in the
dark.

Martin nailed it pretty well. The simulation showed the skimmer body
mounted on the outside of a lathe base/pedestal with an endless tube
protruding through a rectangular cutout in the base and dangling into
the sump. The tube rotates through the coolant and picks up tramp
oil which is then scraped off as it enters the skimmer body and is
dropped into a trough on the skimmer that channels it to a tramp oil
collection container, also outside the lathe sump. It seemed like it
might be a good candidate for sumps that don't have an easy way to
mount a belt of disc skimmer which generally have to be mounted
directly over the sump and I gather that's not an option for your
Graziano.

Zebra also makes a similar oil skimmer and it's pictured he

http://www.beacontechnology.com/mate...machineskates/

with a basic description of how it works and you can see videos of
them here in 1.7, 3.4 and 60.1 MB versions. The 2 smaller files are
MOV format (Quicktime?) and the large one is AVI. The AVI looks like
it will take ~20 minutes to download on my cable connection, so you
probably don't want to try that on dialup. BTW, you might find it
quicker to right cick on the video link and save it to your hard disk
and play it from there rather than to left click and play it from the
link.

Mike

Thanks for the tip, Mike. I am likely one of the worst on this group
where computer skills are concerned, and had no idea about right
clicking. I'll investigate these items in good time.

You nailed the situation with my Graziano. It would be dead easy to
apply the skimmer you described, while anything more complex would
border on impossible. Lathes equipped with coolant are particularly
bad for tramp oils, considering the chip pan catches everything and
shuttles it to the sump.

I should have done something about tramp oils long ago, but there was
precious little on the market when I was actively machining. A lot
has happened in that department since '83! :-)

Thanks, all, for the great tips and descriptions.

Harold

Harold,

Oil skimmers have been around at least as long as that.

I can recall seeing disk type skimmers being used to pick diesel fuel
off the tops of sumps, from when I was still in school. I graduated High
school around the same time you retired. :-)

There are a pile of variations on the skimmer theme.

That endless tube one is a pretty nice variation. If one were willing
to add a small pump to the workings, one could use juts about any
version, in any location, as the only access needed would be the power
lead and the output pipe.

Hmmm....

:-)

Cheers