Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Serious Metal Content...

A demonstration of the Army's new "Sniper" rifle...

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...110sniperrifle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

A demonstration of the Army's new "Sniper" rifle...

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...110sniperrifle

OH, and while not exactly metalic, Michelle ain't hald bad either!
Air Farce finally got their act together?

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...070406manhart/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself writes:

A demonstration of the Army's new "Sniper" rifle...

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...110sniperrifle

Any idea how similar it is to an M16 internally?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
cavelamb himself writes:

A demonstration of the Army's new "Sniper" rifle...

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...110sniperrifle

Any idea how similar it is to an M16 internally?

It sure looks like on from the outside, doesn't it?

But that's no 5.56 round.
Looks more like a 7.62 NATO.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
cavelamb himself writes:

A demonstration of the Army's new "Sniper" rifle...

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...110sniperrifle

Any idea how similar it is to an M16 internally?

It sure looks like on from the outside, doesn't it?

But that's no 5.56 round.
Looks more like a 7.62 NATO.

It's one of the AR-10 derivatives, the AR-10 being a scaled-up M16; the M16
being a scaled-down AR-10. g

The AR-10 has led many lives. You'd best ask Gunner for its history. But
yes, it's pretty much a scaled up M16. And yes, that's a 7.62x51 NATO.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

cavelamb himself writes:

A demonstration of the Army's new "Sniper" rifle...

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...110sniperrifle

Any idea how similar it is to an M16 internally?

It sure looks like on from the outside, doesn't it?

But that's no 5.56 round.
Looks more like a 7.62 NATO.

It's one of the AR-10 derivatives, the AR-10 being a scaled-up M16; the M16
being a scaled-down AR-10. g

The AR-10 has led many lives. You'd best ask Gunner for its history. But
yes, it's pretty much a scaled up M16. And yes, that's a 7.62x51 NATO.

--
Ed Huntress

Ok, I'm game.

I never did trust that little BB gun

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

cavelamb himself writes:

A demonstration of the Army's new "Sniper" rifle...

http://www.militarytimes.com/multime...110sniperrifle

Any idea how similar it is to an M16 internally?

It sure looks like on from the outside, doesn't it?

But that's no 5.56 round.
Looks more like a 7.62 NATO.

It's one of the AR-10 derivatives, the AR-10 being a scaled-up M16; the
M16 being a scaled-down AR-10. g

The AR-10 has led many lives. You'd best ask Gunner for its history. But
yes, it's pretty much a scaled up M16. And yes, that's a 7.62x51 NATO.

--
Ed Huntress

Ok, I'm game.

I never did trust that little BB gun

Richard

All I can tell you is what I remember from when I was a kid, and a couple of
comments I saw online about the new M110.

The AR-10 was the original Armalite prototype that was run off by the US
Army against a few other guns, back in the mid-50s, including the one that
became the M14. The AR-10 was a 7.62 NATO in its original form. The Army
didn't accept it for some reason, and it was then built by some European
company and sold to a few armies around the world. It came back to life
around 1960 in a scaled-down version, the AR-15/M16, and you know the rest.
Apparently the original-size AR-10 has come back to life as the M110. I
didn't inquire about how much of the new rifle is the same as the original,
but the basic design apparently is the same.

For more than that, you'll need to get it from someone who followed it. It
never interested me much so I don't know the details. I'm more of a Browning
1885/Winchester Hi-Wall kind of guy. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:38:32 -0600, cavelamb himself wrote:

Ok, I'm game.

I never did trust that little BB gun

Richard

Have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-10
http://www.archive.org/details/AR10_Promotion
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...47/ai_71323940

I have an early model one (like the wiki pic) - fun to shoot and much nicer
(and lighter) than my L1A1 SLR (Australian made FN-FAL).
Geoff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Geoff wrote:
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:38:32 -0600, cavelamb himself wrote:

Ok, I'm game.

I never did trust that little BB gun

Richard

Have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-10
http://www.archive.org/details/AR10_Promotion
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...47/ai_71323940

I have an early model one (like the wiki pic) - fun to shoot and much nicer
(and lighter) than my L1A1 SLR (Australian made FN-FAL).
Geoff

Wow! Thanks Geoff.

I just like things to stay shot after you shoot them.
That outta do it just fine.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

For more than that, you'll need to get it from someone who followed it. It
never interested me much so I don't know the details. I'm more of a Browning
1885/Winchester Hi-Wall kind of guy. d8-)

Hi-Walls are nice. I'm much happier now that uncle has quit trying to
magnumize his Browning 45/70.

I was getting a bit weary of shooting it for group after his shoulder would
give out

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

For more than that, you'll need to get it from someone who followed it. It
never interested me much so I don't know the details. I'm more of a
Browning
1885/Winchester Hi-Wall kind of guy. d8-)

Hi-Walls are nice. I'm much happier now that uncle has quit trying to
magnumize his Browning 45/70.

I was getting a bit weary of shooting it for group after his shoulder
would
give out

I used to belong to the ASSRA (American Single-Shot Rifle Association) and I
shot some of those things at their meets. Afterwards, I was very happy that
my Browning 1885 is in .223 caliber. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Hi-Walls are nice. I'm much happier now that uncle has quit trying to
magnumize his Browning 45/70.

I was getting a bit weary of shooting it for group after his shoulder
would
give out

I used to belong to the ASSRA (American Single-Shot Rifle Association) and I
shot some of those things at their meets. Afterwards, I was very happy that
my Browning 1885 is in .223 caliber. g

Oh, I think I could shoot that one all day. Might even be able to afford
to.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

For more than that, you'll need to get it from someone who followed it. It
never interested me much so I don't know the details. I'm more of a Browning
1885/Winchester Hi-Wall kind of guy. d8-)

Hi-Walls are nice. I'm much happier now that uncle has quit trying to
magnumize his Browning 45/70.

I was getting a bit weary of shooting it for group after his shoulder would
give out

Wes

A cargo strap, hooked over the front of the bench, and around the butt
of the stock, can make a long day of that, less painful.

To be sure, the two hooks, both hook on the bench, only the strap goes
around the butt. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

For more than that, you'll need to get it from someone who followed it.
It never interested me much so I don't know the details. I'm more of a
Browning 1885/Winchester Hi-Wall kind of guy. d8-)

Hi-Walls are nice. I'm much happier now that uncle has quit trying to
magnumize his Browning 45/70. I was getting a bit weary of shooting it
for group after his shoulder would
give out

Wes

A cargo strap, hooked over the front of the bench, and around the butt of
the stock, can make a long day of that, less painful.

To be sure, the two hooks, both hook on the bench, only the strap goes
around the butt. :-)

Hey, what a neat idea. I'll have to remember that one.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

For more than that, you'll need to get it from someone who followed it.
It never interested me much so I don't know the details. I'm more of a
Browning 1885/Winchester Hi-Wall kind of guy. d8-)

Hi-Walls are nice. I'm much happier now that uncle has quit trying to
magnumize his Browning 45/70. I was getting a bit weary of shooting it
for group after his shoulder would
give out

Wes

A cargo strap, hooked over the front of the bench, and around the butt of
the stock, can make a long day of that, less painful.

To be sure, the two hooks, both hook on the bench, only the strap goes
around the butt. :-)

Hey, what a neat idea. I'll have to remember that one.

--
Ed Huntress

Stole it from a guy that was selling shooting benches with the straps
built in.

His were nicer, but the bench was a right bugger to fit in a daypack. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message

snip

A cargo strap, hooked over the front of the bench, and around the butt
of the stock, can make a long day of that, less painful.

To be sure, the two hooks, both hook on the bench, only the strap goes
around the butt. :-)

Hey, what a neat idea. I'll have to remember that one.

--
Ed Huntress

Stole it from a guy that was selling shooting benches with the straps
built in.

His were nicer, but the bench was a right bugger to fit in a daypack. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

I'm thinking that I could use that to (finally) pattern my 12-ga. properly
with 3-1/2" magnums. Those things are brutal, and I've only made a
superficial attempt at patterning it.

--
Ed Huntress