Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shipbreaking (metal content)

"Ignoramus26797"
wrote in message
Reading articles like this, I feel quite lucky.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/1998/in...ks/day3/1.html

Sure, I feel lucky too...the scar on my index
finger...(supervisor, switched me from a single surface
grinder, to a double motor machine...forgot to turn
secondary motor off, when removing part)...And my
accumulations of lead from working at amex industrys,
where I milled the lead x-ray grids flat...that lead
followed me, out to my car, under fingernails....and
the sores on my hands from working with epoxy
paint...even double gloves, that solvent would leak
through...

sure, I feel real lucky

xman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Reading articles like this, I feel quite lucky.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/1998/in...ks/day3/1.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26797" wrote in message
Reading articles like this, I feel quite lucky.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/1998/in...ks/day3/1.html

There was a really good show on cable (A&E I think) on just this topic of
Shipbreaking here. Very good documentary. I strongly suggest watching it if
you can. Sorta makes OSHA look really, really good. The place is a
death-trap indeed.

Respects,

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-07, Rob Fraser FraserRacing wrote:

"Ignoramus26797" wrote in message
Reading articles like this, I feel quite lucky.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/1998/in...ks/day3/1.html

There was a really good show on cable (A&E I think) on just this topic of
Shipbreaking here. Very good documentary. I strongly suggest watching it if
you can. Sorta makes OSHA look really, really good. The place is a
death-trap indeed.

I tried to look for one on torrent sites, unfortunately I did not find
anything. I will keep looking.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 7, 12:18 pm, Ignoramus26797 ignoramus26...@NOSPAM.
26797.invalid wrote:
Reading articles like this, I feel quite lucky.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/1998/in...ng/works/day3/...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=2...&t=h&z=16&om=1

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

oups.com...
26797.invalid wrote:
Reading articles like this, I feel quite lucky.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/1998/in...ng/works/day3/...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=2...&t=h&z=16&om=1

interesting google map! wow. to the left there's a crescent shaped
building. made me wonder if that is the corporate office building of the
ship breakers. i've seen documentaries on the ship breakers there in india,
always showing the working men dressed in rags, somehow i pictured them
living in mud huts eating just plain rice, etc. i never stopped to wonder
what their boss's working environment looks like. it's got to be a
multi-million dollar enterprise, huh? the U.S. navy (and others) prolly
aren't negotiating with some filthy guy on the beach dressed in rags huh?
it would be interesting to see what if any disparity there is between the
workers conditions and their bosses. i don't remember seeing that part in
any documentary. prolly that was a condition of filming, "it's ok to film
the workers, but not our offices".

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 12:18:14 -0600, Ignoramus26797
wrote:

Reading articles like this, I feel quite lucky.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/1998/in...ks/day3/1.html

Given that the alternative is no work at all I'm sure that they feel
quite lucky also.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

oups.com...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=2...spn=0.011948,0...

interesting google map! wow. to the left there's a crescent shaped
building. made me wonder if that is the corporate office building of the
ship breakers. i've seen documentaries on the ship breakers there in india,
always showing the working men dressed in rags, somehow i pictured them
living in mud huts eating just plain rice, etc. i never stopped to wonder
what their boss's working environment looks like. it's got to be a
multi-million dollar enterprise, huh? the U.S. navy (and others) prolly
aren't negotiating with some filthy guy on the beach dressed in rags huh?
it would be interesting to see what if any disparity there is between the
workers conditions and their bosses. i don't remember seeing that part in
any documentary. prolly that was a condition of filming, "it's ok to film
the workers, but not our offices".

b.w.

Just to the Right is an aircraft carrier on it's way to becoming re-
bar.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cj cj is offline

Ignoramus26797 wrote:

Reading articles like this, I feel quite lucky.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/1998/in...ks/day3/1.html

i saw a show on that on maybe the discovery channel. it was rather cool
to see a ship out at sea steamin' towards the beach to beach itself. and
those poor ****s standing ankle deep in all kinds of liquid (chemical)
filth, slamming sledgehammers against plate steel under a broiling
indian ocean sun
cj