Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default Shipbreaking (metal content)

"Half-Nutz" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 7, 12:18 pm, Ignoramus26797 ignoramus26...@NOSPAM.
26797.invalid wrote:
Reading articles like this, I feel quite lucky.

http://www.pulitzer.org/year/1998/in...ng/works/day3/...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=2...&t=h&z=16&om=1

interesting google map! wow. to the left there's a crescent shaped
building. made me wonder if that is the corporate office building of the
ship breakers. i've seen documentaries on the ship breakers there in india,
always showing the working men dressed in rags, somehow i pictured them
living in mud huts eating just plain rice, etc. i never stopped to wonder
what their boss's working environment looks like. it's got to be a
multi-million dollar enterprise, huh? the U.S. navy (and others) prolly
aren't negotiating with some filthy guy on the beach dressed in rags huh?
it would be interesting to see what if any disparity there is between the
workers conditions and their bosses. i don't remember seeing that part in
any documentary. prolly that was a condition of filming, "it's ok to film
the workers, but not our offices".

b.w.