Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WTB 220 /240 Vac 3 ph AFC, 1 ph input

Since my apprentice days I have always been fascinated by gear
hobbing, and I finally did it!

I purchased 3rd hand from an acquaintance of a friend an ALFRED
GAUTHIER gear hobbing machine, little used and in excellent condition.

Got most if not all change gears, operating instructions in German, a
box full of hobs mostly 48 DP 14 1/2 and 20 deg. helix angle, some 64
DP, several 32 DP, 80! DP, 105! DP, and a bunch of metric MODULE
hobs....a really cute little machine that fits naturally into my work
shop. I WILL have to make work-holding mandrells, only these were
missing. Usually they are custom made to suit the job-at-hand. Work
envelope is 2 3/8" work dia.max (60 mm) x 1 1/2" (40 mm) long, fully
automatic after initial setup. It also appears easy to set-up, gear
boxes -3 of them- are easily accessible.

The motor is 1/3 HP, 220/230 Vac, 3 ph 50 Hz. I have 220 Vac 1 ph
available and would like an appropriate VFD to make it hum.

I thought a 1/2 HP, 1 ph input unit would be the cat's meow. Does
anyone have such a unit laying about crying out to "find me a good
home"??? Iggy, do you fit the bill here? I live in SW Ontario,
Canada, and would appreciate advice, availability, location, $$$$,
etc.

Many thanks for your efforts here!

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-31, wrote:
[...]

I have a 1 phase input, 1/2 HP unit. New in box. $80 plus shipping. It
is Telemecanique Altivar 18 or some such. Never used for anything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1192 wrote:

On 2007-10-31, wrote:
[...]

For such a small motor (1/3HP) I'd just replace it with a $20 surplus
single phase motor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1192 wrote:

On 2007-10-31, wrote:
[...]

That's also a good possibility, if he can find a 50 hz motor of same
frame size.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1192 wrote:

On 2007-10-31, wrote:
[...]

A 60hz motor should be fine too. Don't expect a gear hobber is that
picky on exact speed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1192 wrote:

On 2007-10-31, wrote:
[...]

As long as the centrifugal speed switch wuold properly open at 50 hz.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Great!

A couple of weeks ago I saw a frightful sight. Hundreds of Hobbs in a
large metal bin. They were new and sharp and all coated. Now scrap
and not for sale. e.g. they got them to destroy and then sell as scrap.
These were the size of my arm to leg size - big big Hobbs. Two large
foundries are located in this town and do as they need.

I get great prices on scrap sheet there.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
[...]

The reason I want the VFD is to vary the motor speed, also. The stock
motor has a speed of 1400 RPM on the name plate, which is ok for brass
gears with the 24 mm dia. hob (std size for this machine). I also
want to hob gears from stress proof and leaded steel, therefore the
hob should run a lot slower.

There are no belting speed change steps, that's why I think it was set-
up for brass, bronze, aluminum, or plastic gears.

Spent this evening getting familiar with the beast...everything works,
and looks in very good condition. Took some of the stiff assemblies
apart to clean and oil. What quality!

Iggy, thanks for your offer. Now that I am more familiar with the
thing perhaps a 1/2 HP motor and drive would be better so as to
provide adequate torque at low speed. Space for the motor is not a
problem. I looked up your unit on the 'net and it looooks
complicated! What I had in mind is one with a knob to vary the
frequency......digital frequency read-out is nice, though! Can your
unit accept potentiometer input to vary the frequency? And, where are
you located? I'd probably have you ship it via US parcel post. It
takes a week or so from the continental US but you don't get robbed
for border paper work. Sooo, let me know if your unit can operate
with a variable resistance.

Thanks,

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-01, wrote:
The reason I want the VFD is to vary the motor speed, also. The stock
motor has a speed of 1400 RPM on the name plate, which is ok for brass
gears with the 24 mm dia. hob (std size for this machine). I also
want to hob gears from stress proof and leaded steel, therefore the
hob should run a lot slower.

A drive will do that

There are no belting speed change steps, that's why I think it was set-
up for brass, bronze, aluminum, or plastic gears.

Spent this evening getting familiar with the beast...everything works,
and looks in very good condition. Took some of the stiff assemblies
apart to clean and oil. What quality!

Iggy, thanks for your offer. Now that I am more familiar with the
thing perhaps a 1/2 HP motor and drive would be better so as to
provide adequate torque at low speed.

Well, sure.

Space for the motor is not a problem. I looked up your unit on the
'net and it looooks complicated!

Mine is actually ATV28. I just looked at it. On page 37 of the manual
it explains how ot wire it for a potentiometer.

What I had in mind is one with a knob to vary the
frequency......digital frequency read-out is nice, though! Can your
unit accept potentiometer input to vary the frequency?

Yes, see page 37 of the manual.

And, where are you located?

IL, USA

I'd probably have you ship it via US parcel post. It takes a week
or so from the continental US but you don't get robbed for border
paper work. Sooo, let me know if your unit can operate with a
variable resistance.

Yes, it can. It is new, in box, with manual.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1192 wrote:

On 2007-10-31, wrote:
[...]

He's in Canada, they have 60HZ power there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1192 wrote:

On 2007-10-31, wrote:
[...]

That's great. He mentioned a 50 Hz motor. Hence my words. But I am
sure that you are right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 1, 9:24 am, Ignoramus19538 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
On 2007-11-01, Pete C. wrote:

On 2007-11-01, Pete C. wrote:

On 2007-10-31, Pete C. wrote:

On 2007-10-31, wrote:
[...]

Iggy,

I found a suitable unit locally...... thanks for your kind offer.
Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:30:55 -0500, Ignoramus1192
wrote:

Space for the motor is not a problem. I looked up your unit on the
'net and it looooks complicated!

Mine is actually ATV28. I just looked at it. On page 37 of the manual
it explains how ot wire it for a potentiometer.

What I had in mind is one with a knob to vary the
frequency......digital frequency read-out is nice, though! Can your
unit accept potentiometer input to vary the frequency?

Yes, see page 37 of the manual.

I set up an ATV28 (1hp) for my remaining Myford on Friday. The options in the
manual are fairly complex, but it's not all that frightening once you ignore
all the unnecessary ones :-). Programming is quite easy if you haven't mounted
the bloody thing where you need a prehensile neck to see it :-(

The cooling fan on it is annoying (unnecessary for the duty mine's working
under). You may also want to adjust the default (4kHz) switching frequency,
which tends to be quite noticeable.

Other than that, they seem to work quite well and take up less space than many
I've seen.

Mark Rand (sowing additional confusion)
RTFM