Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Good book on paint selection?

Does anyone know of a good book on paint selection aimed at the end
user? I am talking about a book which tells you what primer to use for
every metal under the sun, and gives you generic names for the types of
paint, rather than proprietary names which are out of date, or which you
can't find in your country.

I already have this book, but it's overly detailed when it comes to some
metals, and other metals are omitted completely:
http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Handbook.../dp/0070690618

Any suggestions?

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 29, 10:41 pm, Christopher Tidy
wrote:
Does anyone know of a good book on paint selection aimed at the end
user? I am talking about a book which tells you what primer to use for
every metal under the sun, and gives you generic names for the types of
paint, rather than proprietary names which are out of date, or which you
can't find in your country.

I already have this book, but it's overly detailed when it comes to some
metals, and other metals are omitted completely:http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Handbook...ag=granoffe-20

Any suggestions?

Best wishes,

Chris

Check out some paint companies' literature, most have usage and
technical specs for their products. Don't know of any generic docs
out there, for some special applications you're going to have to
contact the technical support folks at one company or another. Most
of the stuff I have is for automotive paint systems, they're all
different and they change frequently. Coatings is a fast-moving
field. What's good this year is gone next week. So anything that
actually hits print as a commercial book is going to be out of date
except for some generic metal prep tips.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 04:41:58 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Does anyone know of a good book on paint selection aimed at the end
user? I am talking about a book which tells you what primer to use for
every metal under the sun, and gives you generic names for the types of
paint, rather than proprietary names which are out of date, or which you
can't find in your country.

I already have this book, but it's overly detailed when it comes to some
metals, and other metals are omitted completely:
http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Handbook.../dp/0070690618

From 1981? There are dozens (if not hundreds) of new metals out since
then.

Any suggestions?

Find a newer book.

From googling "painting metal":
http://www.paintquality.com/contract...t01_04doc.html
better yet:
http://www.finishing.com/Books/index.html

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:19:55 -0700, "William Noble"
wrote:

check the web sites of the major manufacturers - DuPont, for example - and
Dietzler - I got a lot of info there when I needed it. Maybe also
Finishmaster??

That should be Ditzler or PPG Ditzler.

Suppliers will depend on how you intend to apply it; automotive
coatings are applied by spraying and tend to be quite expensive. Other
paint companies supply good products (and information) for
application by brush, roller, airless spray, etc.

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a good book on paint selection aimed at the end user?
I am talking about a book which tells you what primer to use for every
metal under the sun, and gives you generic names for the types of paint,
rather than proprietary names which are out of date, or which you can't
find in your country.

I already have this book, but it's overly detailed when it comes to some
metals, and other metals are omitted completely:
http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Handbook.../dp/0070690618

Any suggestions?

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 04:41:58 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Does anyone know of a good book on paint selection aimed at the end
user? I am talking about a book which tells you what primer to use for
every metal under the sun, and gives you generic names for the types of
paint, rather than proprietary names which are out of date, or which you
can't find in your country.

I already have this book, but it's overly detailed when it comes to some
metals, and other metals are omitted completely:
http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Handbook.../dp/0070690618

From 1981? There are dozens (if not hundreds) of new metals out since
then.

Any suggestions?

Find a newer book.

From googling "painting metal":
http://www.paintquality.com/contract...t01_04doc.html
better yet:
http://www.finishing.com/Books/index.html

Thanks for the links. I've had a look through those books, but can't see
what I want. I just want one book which says "brass: use this, zinc: use
that", etc. I'm not really interested in why - I just want to know the
right paint to use.

Anyone else know of such a book?

Many thanks,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 02:14:34 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm,

Larry Jaques wrote:
http://www.finishing.com/Books/index.html

Thanks for the links. I've had a look through those books, but can't see
what I want. I just want one book which says "brass: use this, zinc: use
that", etc. I'm not really interested in why - I just want to know the
right paint to use.

Anyone else know of such a book?

Start calling manufacturers or visiting paint stores, Chris.

P.S: Let us know if you find such a book.

--
Knowledge and timber shouldn't be much used till they are seasoned.
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 02:14:34 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 04:41:58 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Does anyone know of a good book on paint selection aimed at the end
user? I am talking about a book which tells you what primer to use for
every metal under the sun, and gives you generic names for the types of
paint, rather than proprietary names which are out of date, or which you
can't find in your country.

I already have this book, but it's overly detailed when it comes to some
metals, and other metals are omitted completely:
http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Handbook.../dp/0070690618

From 1981? There are dozens (if not hundreds) of new metals out since
then.

Any suggestions?

Find a newer book.

From googling "painting metal":
http://www.paintquality.com/contract...t01_04doc.html
better yet:
http://www.finishing.com/Books/index.html

Thanks for the links. I've had a look through those books, but can't see
what I want. I just want one book which says "brass: use this, zinc: use
that", etc. I'm not really interested in why - I just want to know the
right paint to use.

Anyone else know of such a book?

Many thanks,

Chris

There can be no such answer until you specify a few choices, like:
* method of application (brush, spray, roller, etc)
* application environment -- downdraft paint booth to outdoors
* budgetary constraints. "Good" automotive paint can cost well north
of $100/gallon
* requirements (indoor vs outdoor, sunlight exposure, wheelbarrow vs
Mercedes degree of gloss, range of color choices, durability expected
* degree of prep acceptable, from wipe off the big chunks to
gritblast, phosphate, alodyne, etc. as appropriate

A good two-part epoxy spray automotive primer like PPG DP90 will
stick to dang near any metal, is very tough, and is suitable as an
undercoat for just about any topcoat -- or will protect with no
topcoat. It also costs about $40/quart.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Does anyone know of a good book on paint selection aimed at the end
user? I am talking about a book which tells you what primer to use for
every metal under the sun, and gives you generic names for the types of
paint, rather than proprietary names which are out of date, or which you
can't find in your country.

Skip the paint! Go to powder coating - you can do almost
anything in one coat, no primer, no fumes.

A friend of mine makes really FANCY light fixtures, and he does
all powder coat. I took a couple pieces over and did them with
his guns, paint and oven, and the results were FAR superior to
what I'd been doing. I was using a zinc chromate primer that
when it got on your hands was just like green contact cement.
I never got the clumps of the chromate to mix well, so I got a
"fuzzy" finish. The primer and the paint both had a very strong
smell. The paint I was using was an industrial bake-on enamel.
After working with the powder coat stuff, I was amazed it was
significantly more durable than the primer/enamel! it also
looked a HECK of a lot better. The big deal is there's no smell
to this stuff, and the cabinets are ready to assemble after
about 10 minutes in the oven. I have the equipment now and will
do my fist box on my own in about a week or so.

Jon

Peel-A-Way Paint Remover For Latex Paint: Any Good ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 July 16th 06 12:36 AM
A Good Book?? John UK diy 3 November 14th 05 11:27 AM
Which Book on the selection of electric motors??? [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 October 27th 05 05:34 PM
Good book Jim Stewart Metalworking 2 April 25th 05 02:53 AM
Somewhat OT, Good book Charles Morrill Metalworking 4 December 29th 04 02:45 PM