Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Good book on paint selection?

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Does anyone know of a good book on paint selection aimed at the end
user? I am talking about a book which tells you what primer to use for
every metal under the sun, and gives you generic names for the types of
paint, rather than proprietary names which are out of date, or which you
can't find in your country.

Skip the paint! Go to powder coating - you can do almost
anything in one coat, no primer, no fumes.

A friend of mine makes really FANCY light fixtures, and he does
all powder coat. I took a couple pieces over and did them with
his guns, paint and oven, and the results were FAR superior to
what I'd been doing. I was using a zinc chromate primer that
when it got on your hands was just like green contact cement.
I never got the clumps of the chromate to mix well, so I got a
"fuzzy" finish. The primer and the paint both had a very strong
smell. The paint I was using was an industrial bake-on enamel.
After working with the powder coat stuff, I was amazed it was
significantly more durable than the primer/enamel! it also
looked a HECK of a lot better. The big deal is there's no smell
to this stuff, and the cabinets are ready to assemble after
about 10 minutes in the oven. I have the equipment now and will
do my fist box on my own in about a week or so.

Jon