Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mystery block- what the heck is it?

Here is something to add to the what the heck is it file.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...804444603772/0

I got it from the machinist's estate I was clearing out a few months ago.

It is hardened and ground. Cross drilled for setscrews. The angles are
around 65 degrees. The holes are 7/16"dia.
The name stamped on it is the name of the owner (and presumably the maker)
and it gives the impression of the sort of tool you would make during your
apprenticeship.

It is very nicely made, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it's
for.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...762405340339/p
hoto/294928804444603772/0

Strikes me as a fixture for holding rods to position a test
indicator/dial indicator.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Here is something to add to the what the heck is it file.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...804444603772/0

I got it from the machinist's estate I was clearing out a few months ago.

It is hardened and ground. Cross drilled for setscrews. The angles are
around 65 degrees. The holes are 7/16"dia.
The name stamped on it is the name of the owner (and presumably the maker)
and it gives the impression of the sort of tool you would make during your
apprenticeship.

It is very nicely made, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it's
for.

Paul K. Dickman

The one photo doesn't show all the details of the block but it is
possibly for grinding tool bits of some type on a surface grinder.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Here is something to add to the what the heck is it file.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...804444603772/0

I got it from the machinist's estate I was clearing out a few months ago.

It is hardened and ground. Cross drilled for setscrews. The angles are
around 65 degrees. The holes are 7/16"dia.
The name stamped on it is the name of the owner (and presumably the maker)
and it gives the impression of the sort of tool you would make during your
apprenticeship.

It is very nicely made, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it's
for.

Paul K. Dickman

It looks like it could be a test peice for some advanced metal working
class. Some "alphabet soup" organization has a bunch of prints of
peices like that to "certify" machinists. The shop teacher has a few
of the advanced students starting on these this year.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Here is something to add to the what the heck is it file.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...804444603772/0

I got it from the machinist's estate I was clearing out a few months ago.

It is hardened and ground. Cross drilled for setscrews. The angles are
around 65 degrees. The holes are 7/16"dia.
The name stamped on it is the name of the owner (and presumably the maker)
and it gives the impression of the sort of tool you would make during your
apprenticeship.

It is very nicely made, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it's
for.

Paul K. Dickman

It looks like the large hole is big enough to get a forefinger through,
so maybe it was a disguised martial arts weapon like the "Travel Wrench"
he

http://www.kungfuonline.com/article.php?article=51

I think I first learned of the existance of these "wrenches" on a "What
is it?" here about a year ago. They are inexpensive and I bought a few
to give as gag gifts to some mild-mannered friends.

Jeff (Who isn't really being serious about this.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"john" wrote in message
news

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Here is something to add to the what the heck is it file.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...804444603772/0

It is very nicely made, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it's
for.

Paul K. Dickman

The one photo doesn't show all the details of the block but it is possibly
for grinding tool bits of some type on a surface grinder.

John

Thought about that, but 7/16 is an odd size for a boring bar. You can slide
a 5/16 sq bit in the holes but there does not seem to be any way to grind a
clearance angle on the bit.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...762405340339/p
hoto/294928804444603772/0

Strikes me as a fixture for holding rods to position a test
indicator/dial indicator.

Possible, but 7/16 seems like an odd size for an indicator rod.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
Paul K. Dickman wrote:

[...]

Could be, but why bother to harden it. Also, it wasn't in a cigar box on the
shelf, it was in a cabinet with vee blocks and angle blocks and other tools
that would see regular usage. This guy finished his apprenticeship before
WWII.
I can't imagine he just liked to look at it for all those years.

I also thought it might be used with drill bushings. Either for cross
drilling rods or drilling angled holes, but the angles are kind of oddball.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

"john" wrote in message
news

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Here is something to add to the what the heck is it file.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...804444603772/0

It is very nicely made, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it's
for.

Paul K. Dickman

The one photo doesn't show all the details of the block but it is possibly
for grinding tool bits of some type on a surface grinder.

John

Thought about that, but 7/16 is an odd size for a boring bar. You can slide
a 5/16 sq bit in the holes but there does not seem to be any way to grind a
clearance angle on the bit.

Paul K. Dickman

I have a couple of blocks that are used for grinding threading tools
that look sort of similar to that one and thought that it may have been
used the same way.

Another possible use might be to hold an indicator and rod for
indicating pieces on a milling table.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in
:

Here is something to add to the what the heck is it file.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma.../5764607624053
40339/photo/294928804444603772/0

I got it from the machinist's estate I was clearing out a few months
ago.

It is hardened and ground. Cross drilled for setscrews. The angles are
around 65 degrees. The holes are 7/16"dia.
The name stamped on it is the name of the owner (and presumably the
maker) and it gives the impression of the sort of tool you would make
during your apprenticeship.

It is very nicely made, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what
it's for.

Paul K. Dickman

Looks to me like just a regular angle block used for fixturing in a vice.
The holes are most likely for work stops.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 11:48:50 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...762405340339/p
hoto/294928804444603772/0

Strikes me as a fixture for holding rods to position a test
indicator/dial indicator.

Possible, but 7/16 seems like an odd size for an indicator rod.

Paul K. Dickman

7/16 is the diameter of the rod holding the diamond of my wheel
dresser...which has a multitude of holes drilled at various angles

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
Here is something to add to the what the heck is it file.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...804444603772/0

I got it from the machinist's estate I was clearing out a few months ago.

It is hardened and ground. Cross drilled for setscrews. The angles are
around 65 degrees. The holes are 7/16"dia.
The name stamped on it is the name of the owner (and presumably the maker)
and it gives the impression of the sort of tool you would make during your
apprenticeship.

It is very nicely made, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what it's
for.

Paul K. Dickman

Looks like a class project.

Make the object in the drawings, get it graded, kinda thing.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Randy" wrote in message

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...762405340339/p
hoto/294928804444603772/0

Strikes me as a fixture for holding rods to position a test
indicator/dial indicator.

--
Possible, but 7/16 seems like an odd size for an indicator rod.

Paul K. Dickman

7/16 is the diameter of the rod holding the diamond of my wheel
dresser...which has a multitude of holes drilled at various angles

Gunner

I'll second this, 7/16 is common for a diamond dresser. Differant
mounting angles for even wear on your diamond.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

This seems to be the best guess.

It explains the hole size, the multiple angles, and why the actual angles do
not seem to match anything.

I do think it was some sort of apprenticeship project, just one that was
also useful.

Paul K. Dickman