william_b_noble

Default Mystery tools - what the heck are these things

ok, I'm totally baffled - go to www.wbnoble.com and click on
"mysteries" -look at the first two items (those are the metal related items)
and see ifyou recognize these things. The first one was a swap meet
purchase - the vendor had no clue and neither do I, the second was an e-bay
purchase that was advertised as a "height gauge" - it clearly isn't that
(and I knew that when I bought it), but what do you think it really is?

--
Bill

to Email me, repair this address and use it:
william_ b_ noble at msn dot com

also check out http://www.wbnoble.com

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:27:05 -0800, "william_b_noble"
wrote:

ok, I'm totally baffled - go to www.wbnoble.com and click on
"mysteries" -look at the first two items (those are the metal related items)
and see ifyou recognize these things. The first one was a swap meet
purchase - the vendor had no clue and neither do I, the second was an e-bay
purchase that was advertised as a "height gauge" - it clearly isn't that
(and I knew that when I bought it), but what do you think it really is?

--
Bill

to Email me, repair this address and use it:
william_ b_ noble at msn dot com

also check out http://www.wbnoble.com

Ok...I will play at least a bit. The first item looks
like a blade for scraping metal (cast iron) surfaces flat. Used
fairly often for dealing with wear on lathe/surface grinder ways.
I would guess that the "height gauge" is actually a press
for locating a press-fit item in another piece. The pins on the
support block would locate the work piece, and, the press is set
to push another part into it to a precise point. The holes in the
top might well be for locating pins on the top of the piece being
pressed in place.
Not a clue about what the diode is used for, but, that
is not unusual. There are a LOT of special purpose electronic
bits out there.
Regards
Dave Mundt