Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Answer: Removing metal splinters...

Question: "What's your favorite part of metalworking?"

Yeah I know, I have a bad attitude.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 5:17 am, John Doe wrote:
Question: "What's your favorite part of metalworking?"

Yeah I know, I have a bad attitude.

I was straightening a bent wheel rim by holding a punch in my left
hand and striking it
with a 5lb hammer. I felt a pinch between my left thumb and index
fingers, and blood
started flowing. It turns out that a steel flake (2mm diameter, .5mm
thick) broke
off the punch and projected into my palm. It buried so deep that I
couldn't see it---I
think it embedded itself at least a quarter inch deep.

I grabbed one of those hard disk supermagnets and applied it to my
hand; I felt the
metal flake twitching. I was able to manipulate the magnet and pull
out the flake, and
kept it as a reminder to use gloves and glasses. At least I was
wearing safety glasses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 05:28:42 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
" quickly
quoth:

On Oct 5, 5:17 am, John Doe wrote:
Question: "What's your favorite part of metalworking?"

Yeah I know, I have a bad attitude.

I was straightening a bent wheel rim by holding a punch in my left
hand and striking it
with a 5lb hammer. I felt a pinch between my left thumb and index
fingers, and blood
started flowing. It turns out that a steel flake (2mm diameter, .5mm
thick) broke
off the punch and projected into my palm. It buried so deep that I
couldn't see it---I
think it embedded itself at least a quarter inch deep.

I grabbed one of those hard disk supermagnets and applied it to my
hand; I felt the
metal flake twitching. I was able to manipulate the magnet and pull
out the flake, and
kept it as a reminder to use gloves and glasses. At least I was
wearing safety glasses.

Ooh, supermagnet as splinter removal tool? Good show. I'll have to
remember that! The teensy metal splinters are the worst type.

--
Reading well is one of the great pleasures that solitude can afford you.
-- Harold Bloom, O Magazine, April 2003
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 5:17 am, John Doe wrote:
[...]

Doesnt work worth a damn though on those nasty festering little brass
splinters, the kind I get most often working on CNC equipment.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip
Ooh, supermagnet as splinter removal tool? Good show. I'll have to
remember that! The teensy metal splinters are the worst type.

Doesnt work worth a damn though on those nasty festering little brass
splinters, the kind I get most often working on CNC equipment.

One of the worst splinters in the world is fibergalss insulation. Too
small to see, too small to tweeze, and annoying as hell. One trick that
works well is to rub a piece of duct tape over the affected area & then
peel it off. That will frequently do the trick.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Gunner wrote on Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:22:50
-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

On Oct 5, 5:17 am, John Doe wrote:
[...]

Dial calipers. They already have a set of "rigid" flat mating
surfaces, and are usually handy. I know they work on Al slivers. (The
trick is finding the blasted sliver...

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ooh, supermagnet as splinter removal tool? Good show. I'll have to
remember that! The teensy metal splinters are the worst type.

Doesnt work worth a damn though on those nasty festering little brass
splinters, the kind I get most often working on CNC equipment.

Dial calipers. They already have a set of "rigid" flat mating
surfaces, and are usually handy. I know they work on Al slivers. (The
trick is finding the blasted sliver...

You can also revert to childhood... Sometimes pouring a little Elmers
glue over the area, then waiting for it to dry and peeling it off will
take that splinter right out!

Stuart
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A while back, a friend gave me a blood sugar test kit, and a box of lances.
The lances are similar to a hypodermic needle point, mounted in a plastic
holder.
Using them under a magnifier lamp makes easy work of extracting fine metal
shards for me.

Since these things are really sharp, they work much better at getting fine
metallic splinters out when a little cutting is required.

These things are so sharp that you don't want to have an uncontrolled or
unanticipated movement of the hand that you're holding the lance with.
I don't know how much they cost, because I haven't used up the full box that
was in the kit.

My old standby used to be the tip of a new, cleaned utility knife blade. The
small Exacto knife blades have worked sometimes, too, if they're really
sharp.
Some times, ya just gotta excavate some flesh to get to the shard.

Both of these methods work much better for me than an ordinary sewing
needle.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"John Doe" wrote in message
. ..

Question: "What's your favorite part of metalworking?"

Yeah I know, I have a bad attitude.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maybe the punch you were using was in very good, or even new condition, but
I've seen embedded chips in hands and forearms (nasty wounds), and they were
caused by chisels and punches with mushroomed heads/tops.

A good way to prevent chips from flaking off punches and chisels is to keep
any mushrooming from taking place by grinding any "bloom" away, before the
tool chips.

I believe the heads/tops of the tools should have a small chamfer and a very
slight crown to combat the mushrooming effect.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 5, 5:17 am, John Doe wrote:
Question: "What's your favorite part of metalworking?"

Yeah I know, I have a bad attitude.

I was straightening a bent wheel rim by holding a punch in my left
hand and striking it
with a 5lb hammer. I felt a pinch between my left thumb and index
fingers, and blood
started flowing. It turns out that a steel flake (2mm diameter, .5mm
thick) broke
off the punch and projected into my palm. It buried so deep that I
couldn't see it---I
think it embedded itself at least a quarter inch deep.

I grabbed one of those hard disk supermagnets and applied it to my
hand; I felt the
metal flake twitching. I was able to manipulate the magnet and pull
out the flake, and
kept it as a reminder to use gloves and glasses. At least I was
wearing safety glasses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:19:58 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Maybe the punch you were using was in very good, or even new condition, but
I've seen embedded chips in hands and forearms (nasty wounds), and they were
caused by chisels and punches with mushroomed heads/tops.

A good way to prevent chips from flaking off punches and chisels is to keep
any mushrooming from taking place by grinding any "bloom" away, before the
tool chips.

I believe the heads/tops of the tools should have a small chamfer and a very
slight crown to combat the mushrooming effect.

About 60 years ago my brother was wounded in the leg by a chip from
the back of a splitting axe. He had been unable to find the proper
splitting wedge and had resorted to hitting the splitting axe with a
sledge hammer when a chip, roughly the size of a green pea left the
axe head and was embedded about two inches deep in his calf muscle.
Apparently the back face of the axe was very hard and the shock caused
the chip to eject. I have always been very careful to remove any
mushrooming from the striking face of tools.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:18:41 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

[...]

There _are_ some advantages to being a diabetic :-)

Couple of months ago I used part of the collection of used up disposable
syringes and needles to repair a crack in the house wall by injecting PVA glue
into the crack at 1/8" intervals. Used 40 syringes up by blocking up/wrecking
the needles. There was a plentiful supply since I save them up to melt them
down to avoid getting lethal bits of stainless steel into land-fill.

Used to run my Mamod steam engines on industrial methylated spirits provided
by the British NHS. Kept the syringes in boiled water to give me more steam
engine fuel G

Mark Rand
RTFM