Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Answer: Removing metal splinters...

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Gunner wrote on Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:22:50
-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 06:25:22 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 05:28:42 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
" quickly
quoth:

On Oct 5, 5:17 am, John Doe wrote:
Question: "What's your favorite part of metalworking?"

Yeah I know, I have a bad attitude.

I was straightening a bent wheel rim by holding a punch in my left
hand and striking it
with a 5lb hammer. I felt a pinch between my left thumb and index
fingers, and blood
started flowing. It turns out that a steel flake (2mm diameter, .5mm
thick) broke
off the punch and projected into my palm. It buried so deep that I
couldn't see it---I
think it embedded itself at least a quarter inch deep.

I grabbed one of those hard disk supermagnets and applied it to my
hand; I felt the
metal flake twitching. I was able to manipulate the magnet and pull
out the flake, and
kept it as a reminder to use gloves and glasses. At least I was
wearing safety glasses.

Ooh, supermagnet as splinter removal tool? Good show. I'll have to
remember that! The teensy metal splinters are the worst type.

Doesnt work worth a damn though on those nasty festering little brass
splinters, the kind I get most often working on CNC equipment.

Dial calipers. They already have a set of "rigid" flat mating
surfaces, and are usually handy. I know they work on Al slivers. (The
trick is finding the blasted sliver...

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "