Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Black Oxide?

Is it possible to put black oxide on just one surface of a part,
or does it have to be the whole thing? Do they mask them, or
what?

I've got a client who wants to paint black and white stripes
on a modified VW flywheel - he's had the ring gear ground off,
since he's using an electric motor; and we've already got an
optical sensor on order - yes, I know about gear oil leaking
into the bell housing, but we'll cross that bridge when we
come to it.

So, there's this machined surface that we can point an optical
sensor at, but I have to think of something to make it
black with 6 white stripes.

Would epoxy paint do the job? I.e., paint the ring black,
then paint white stripes, or would it be better to black oxide
it, and then paint white stripes, or even mask the oxide and
leave six shiny spots?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Dunno much about your primary question but a properly set up slinger
can stop the oil leak issue.

Think of the slinger tabs as a fan - bend them so they "blow" the
oil back away from the seal.

FWIW,

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

There is a reason that there are few to no optical sensors in an
automotive engine - they aren't reliable in that environment. Try
looking at magnetic / inductive sensors such as used for crankshaft and
camshaft position sensors, vehicle speed sensors and wheel speed
sensors. Indeed put a proper flywheel with ring gear back in and pickup
a VSS pickup and mount it to sense the flywheel ring gear teeth.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote in newsan.2007.10.04.23.14.10.688248
@example.net:

Drill a bolt hole pattern in the outer edge of the flywheel and use a fiber
optic beam-thru sensor. It will be a _much_ more reliable set-up. Optical
retro-reflective sensors are prone to false sensing.

some fiber optic sensor manufacturers
www.bannerengineering.com
www.keyence.com
www.balluff.com

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

Drill a bolt hole pattern in the outer edge of the flywheel and use a fiber
optic beam-thru sensor. It will be a _much_ more reliable set-up. Optical
retro-reflective sensors are prone to false sensing.

some fiber optic sensor manufacturers
www.bannerengineering.com
www.keyence.com
www.balluff.com

But in any case, watch out for the response time of the sensor. The
hole (or flag) needs to be large enough to give the sensor time to
trigger. If something faster than the packaged sensors above is
required, bare emitter/sensor pairs are available that are at least a
couple orders of magnitude faster. Of course, you then need to build
your own signal conditioning, but that's not very difficult.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote in
news

But in any case, watch out for the response time of the sensor. The
hole (or flag) needs to be large enough to give the sensor time to
trigger. If something faster than the packaged sensors above is
required, bare emitter/sensor pairs are available that are at least a
couple orders of magnitude faster. Of course, you then need to build
your own signal conditioning, but that's not very difficult.

The Q45 series from Banner with opposed fibers have a 2 ms response time.
That should be plenty fast enough for just about any application.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 19:35:24 GMT, Anthony
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote in
news

But in any case, watch out for the response time of the sensor. The
hole (or flag) needs to be large enough to give the sensor time to
trigger. If something faster than the packaged sensors above is
required, bare emitter/sensor pairs are available that are at least a
couple orders of magnitude faster. Of course, you then need to build
your own signal conditioning, but that's not very difficult.

The Q45 series from Banner with opposed fibers have a 2 ms response time.
That should be plenty fast enough for just about any application.

Making a couple wild assumptions about the OP's application; a 1/2"
hole on a 12 inch diameter circle at 3600 RPM would pass in 0.2 ms, or
1/10 the time the Q45 needs to respond reliably.

I've used slot sensors and photo emitter/detector pairs successfully
in apps where a packaged sensor wasn't even close to being fast
enough. What you sacrifice is convenience and noise immunity.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:13:37 +0000, Rich Grise wrote:

Is it possible to put black oxide on just one surface of a part, or does
it have to be the whole thing? Do they mask them, or what?

I've got a client who wants to paint black and white stripes on a modified
VW flywheel - he's had the ring gear ground off, since he's using an
electric motor; and we've already got an optical sensor on order - yes, I
know about gear oil leaking into the bell housing, but we'll cross that
bridge when we come to it.

So, there's this machined surface that we can point an optical sensor at,
but I have to think of something to make it black with 6 white stripes.

Would epoxy paint do the job? I.e., paint the ring black, then paint white
stripes, or would it be better to black oxide it, and then paint white
stripes, or even mask the oxide and leave six shiny spots?

Thanks for all of the answers - I haven't seen the client in almost
a week; the next time I see him I'll bring up these issues.

Thanks!
Rich