Glenn Ashmore

Default DIY Black oxide on 316?

I am trial fitting some sexy black traveler and Genoa tracks on Rutu. I
have the fitting just about perfect but the only thing you see is the
glaring stainless flat head screws. I cannot find 316 stainless 5/16 x 3"
flat head machine screws in black oxide 316. How hard is it to put a
durable black oxide finish on 316 and how do you do it.

I could powder coat them black but that might make the heads stand up a
little and interfere with the precision slides.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

carl mciver

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
| I am trial fitting some sexy black traveler and Genoa tracks on Rutu. I
| have the fitting just about perfect but the only thing you see is the
| glaring stainless flat head screws. I cannot find 316 stainless 5/16 x 3"
| flat head machine screws in black oxide 316. How hard is it to put a
| durable black oxide finish on 316 and how do you do it.
|
| I could powder coat them black but that might make the heads stand up a
| little and interfere with the precision slides.
|
| --
| Glenn Ashmore
|
| I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack
| there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com
| Shameless Commercial Division: http://www.spade-anchor-us.com

By definition of stainless you can't get oxide on it. I've used black
fasteners in the aviation business, but I think they were aluminum anodized.
I want to say that I've seen something in stainless, but for the life of me
I can't remember what it is.

David Deuchar

"carl mciver" wrote in message
link.net...
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
| I am trial fitting some sexy black traveler and Genoa tracks on Rutu. I
| have the fitting just about perfect but the only thing you see is the
| glaring stainless flat head screws. I cannot find 316 stainless 5/16 x
3"
| flat head machine screws in black oxide 316. How hard is it to put a
| durable black oxide finish on 316 and how do you do it.
|
| I could powder coat them black but that might make the heads stand up a
| little and interfere with the precision slides.
|
| --
| Glenn Ashmore
|
| I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack
| there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com
| Shameless Commercial Division: http://www.spade-anchor-us.com

By definition of stainless you can't get oxide on it. I've used black
fasteners in the aviation business, but I think they were aluminum
anodized.
I want to say that I've seen something in stainless, but for the life of
me
I can't remember what it is.

316 Stainless will oxidise but it reduces the corrosion resistance and the
heat required, if done thermally, will soften the bolt. There are chemical
solutions that will do the job if required.
http://www.ssschemical.com/page_10.html

Peter W. Meek

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:33:29 GMT, "David Deuchar"
wrote:

316 Stainless will oxidise but it reduces the corrosion resistance and the
heat required, if done thermally, will soften the bolt. There are chemical
solutions that will do the job if required.
http://www.ssschemical.com/page_10.html

Great link; thanks. It goes in my resource files.

--
--Pete
"Peter W. Meek"

You might also google for black chrome plate. I think that is how
stainless gun barrels are made black.

Dan

R. O'Brian

Stainless gun barrels are blackened by treating them in a specialized hot
bath made by Brownells called Oxynate 84

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...LUING+COMPOUND

Firearms are usually made from 400 series stainless. How it would work on
316 is a question best answered by Brownells tech support.

Randy

wrote in message
oups.com...
You might also google for black chrome plate. I think that is how
stainless gun barrels are made black.

Dan

I just googled on "Black Chrome". It does exist and is used on gun
barrels. Not the only way to get black chrome, but possibly more
durable than other methods.

Dan

~Roy~

Brownells Gunsmithing Supplies has stuff for oxidizing stainless steel

brownells.com IIRC

Roger Shoaf

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I am trial fitting some sexy black traveler and Genoa tracks on Rutu. I
have the fitting just about perfect but the only thing you see is the
glaring stainless flat head screws. I cannot find 316 stainless 5/16 x 3"
flat head machine screws in black oxide 316. How hard is it to put a
durable black oxide finish on 316 and how do you do it.

Since you can powder coat you could just grind a few thou off the screw
heads and then the clearance will not be a problem.

Plan "B" would be just to use a marker and make them black.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

I could powder coat them black but that might make the heads stand up a
little and interfere with the precision slides.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

David Deuchar

wrote in message
ups.com...
I just googled on "Black Chrome". It does exist and is used on gun
barrels. Not the only way to get black chrome, but possibly more
durable than other methods.

Dan

I would agree that black chrome would be more wear / galling resistant.

Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts? CWLee Metalworking 57 August 10th 17 01:09 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Electronics Repair 17 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Home Repair 16 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
CASSWELL COLD BLACK OXIDE WAS Black Oxide "how to"?? in a small scale Pedroman Metalworking 1 February 17th 04 03:48 PM