Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Black Oxide?

Is it possible to put black oxide on just one surface of a part,
or does it have to be the whole thing? Do they mask them, or
what?

I've got a client who wants to paint black and white stripes
on a modified VW flywheel - he's had the ring gear ground off,
since he's using an electric motor; and we've already got an
optical sensor on order - yes, I know about gear oil leaking
into the bell housing, but we'll cross that bridge when we
come to it.

So, there's this machined surface that we can point an optical
sensor at, but I have to think of something to make it
black with 6 white stripes.

Would epoxy paint do the job? I.e., paint the ring black,
then paint white stripes, or would it be better to black oxide
it, and then paint white stripes, or even mask the oxide and
leave six shiny spots?

Thanks,
Rich