Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Black Oxide?

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:13:37 +0000, Rich Grise wrote:

Is it possible to put black oxide on just one surface of a part, or does
it have to be the whole thing? Do they mask them, or what?

I've got a client who wants to paint black and white stripes on a modified
VW flywheel - he's had the ring gear ground off, since he's using an
electric motor; and we've already got an optical sensor on order - yes, I
know about gear oil leaking into the bell housing, but we'll cross that
bridge when we come to it.

So, there's this machined surface that we can point an optical sensor at,
but I have to think of something to make it black with 6 white stripes.

Would epoxy paint do the job? I.e., paint the ring black, then paint white
stripes, or would it be better to black oxide it, and then paint white
stripes, or even mask the oxide and leave six shiny spots?

Thanks for all of the answers - I haven't seen the client in almost
a week; the next time I see him I'll bring up these issues.

Thanks!
Rich