Pedroman

Default Black Oxide "how to"?? in a small scale

I need to coat steel parts (small) with a black oxide coating but in small
lots. Parts are 3 1/2" X .75" and are basicly steel stock with drilled holes
for alignment pins. Anyone have a small shop style setup that could share
info on the process. I'm currently having someone else do it but at $50
minimum I have to build a lot more than I use in a couple of months to make
it worthwhile. Sometimes I go through 100 in a month and sometimes 500 it
just depends. Stocking 1000s of this item is not really worth it unless
that's the only route I can find.

A friend commented that a used commercial french frier would be about the
size I would need and it certainly can generate the heat required. I've
checked around and those things are cheap to find.

Anyone?
Pedroman

David Courtney

You might look at:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...113+Z&Dep_Key1
They sell the replacement solution also, $11 makes 4 pints, but I have
no idea how far that will go on your parts:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...ion&Dep_ Key1
David

"Pedroman" wrote in message
[...]

George

"Pedroman" wrote:

I need to coat steel parts (small) with a black oxide coating but in small
lots. Parts are 3 1/2" X .75" and are basicly steel stock with drilled holes
for alignment pins. Anyone have a small shop style setup that could share
info on the process. I'm currently having someone else do it but at $50
minimum I have to build a lot more than I use in a couple of months to make
it worthwhile. Sometimes I go through 100 in a month and sometimes 500 it
just depends. Stocking 1000s of this item is not really worth it unless
that's the only route I can find.

A friend commented that a used commercial french frier would be about the
size I would need and it certainly can generate the heat required. I've
checked around and those things are cheap to find.

Anyone?
Pedroman

One method that I have used with some success is a pot of hot Sodium
Thiosulfate, more commonly known as Photographic Hypo. Make sure that
the parts are thoroughly clean and dip them in a solution of hot water
and hypo. It depends upon the material that you are coating. This can
produce anything from a crummy brownish smudge to a fairly attractive
bluing to a rich black coat.

For a more fool proof (and more expensive) solution get some of this
stuff:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=10113+Z&I1.x=40&I1.y=38

From Eastwood. The advantages are that this is a cold process and the
chemicals can sit on the shelf almost indefinitely. If there is a
disadvantage it's the fact that as the stuff comes to the end of its
life, it leaves a splotchy coating that is a PITA to correct.

George.
Peter H.

Kit ...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...1.x=40&I1.y=38

.... and all its components are no longer aailable.

jim rozen

In article , Peter H. says...

Kit ...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...1.x=40&I1.y=38

... and all its components are no longer aailable.

The oxpho black cold bluing compound is available from
brownells. Applied properly it winds up coal black
and reasonably durable.

It's not as durable as a hot process, but it's very
easy to do.

Jim

please reply to:

Don Foreman

On 18 Jan 2004 21:50:31 GMT, inch (Peter H.) wrote:

Kit ...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...1.x=40&I1.y=38

... and all its components are no longer aailable.

Check
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

I've used this stuff and have been very satisfied with it.
GMasterman

I have blued many gun parts with Brownells hot bluing salts in a 50 cal ammo
can on top of a old kitchen stove, It is messy and hazardous, but does a fine
job. I do not think I'd try to use a fryer because the temp is critical and 290
degree caustic eats aluminum bigtime, and stainless gives off color spots on
the parts is used with hot caustic salts
Paul K. Dickman

I do my own hot black oxide. It is such a pain in the butt, that I save up
my projects and once a year do them all.

I use 2 parts lye, 1 part sodium nitrate and 2 parts water by Vol.

It gets heated to around 300f.

I use two turkey friers. One with just a lye solution on the boil and one
with the bluing salts.

Pieces are first rinsed in paint thinner and dried. Then they are boiled in
the lye for about 5-10 min and then into the salts for 5-10 min . Then they
are rinsed in a bucket of water and dipped in a bucket of oil.

It's a royal pain, but it is one tough finish.

Paul K. Dickman
jim rozen wrote in message ...
In article , Peter H. says...

Kit ...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...1.x=40&I1.y=38

... and all its components are no longer aailable.

The oxpho black cold bluing compound is available from
brownells. Applied properly it winds up coal black
and reasonably durable.

It's not as durable as a hot process, but it's very
easy to do.

Jim

================================================= =
please reply to:
================================================= =

Udie

I posted the sodium theosulphate method here many years ago. The full
instructions may still be in the FAQ. Make sure the items to be blackened
are fully degreased.

Steve R.

"George" wrote in message
"Pedroman" wrote:

[...]

From Eastwood. The advantages are that this is a cold process and the
chemicals can sit on the shelf almost indefinitely. If there is a
disadvantage it's the fact that as the stuff comes to the end of its
life, it leaves a splotchy coating that is a PITA to correct.

George.

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Pedroman" wrote in message
[...]

Found you a link.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/index_a.html

Harold

Artemia Salina

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:40:13 -0800, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Pedroman" wrote in message
[...]

A much less expensive alternative would be Caswell's cold black oxiding kit.
They claim that their 1.25 gallon kit will do 600 to 1200 sq. ft. of surface.
Pedroman says he has a max of 3.5 * .75 * 500 / 12 = 110 sq. ft. per month,
so the 1.25 gallon kit would give him a 5 month supply, minimum. The cost is
$35 for the kit.

The down side is that I've read that the cold black oxide method isn't as good
(reliable, consistent, durable) as the hot method. Not having tried it myself I
don't know.

The link is: http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar

Randal O'Brian

For professional hot black oxide (bluing) equip. go to www.brownells.com .
They sell everything you need and the instruction manual is free. The
bluing salts tank must be carbon steel. The process emits large volumes of
corrosive vapor, so must be done outside or in a well-ventilated room,
separate from your shop. High quality personal protection equip. is
suggested since you will be dealing with a 300° F caustic solution.

Randy

"Pedroman" wrote in message
[...]

Spencer

See www.caswellplating.com, I use their Black Oxide Kit.

Here are results:

http://www.ebiz2000.com/hsm/Machining_toolholders.jpg
http://www.ebiz2000.com/hsm/blackening_toolholders.jpg
http://www.ebiz2000.com/hsm/finished_toolholders.jpg

[...]

Mike Henry

Interesting use of Sherline accessories on larger shop tools!

"Spencer" wrote in message
om...
See www.caswellplating.com, I use their Black Oxide Kit.

Here are results: