Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Government Auction

Government auction - - - - what might this thing be worth?
I know what I'd like to have one.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1373830

Flash

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-04, flash wrote:
Government auction - - - - what might this thing be worth?
I know what I'd like to have one.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1373830

Maybe $700 on a good day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"flash" wrote in message
Government auction - - - - what might this thing be worth?
I know what I'd like to have one.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1373830

Flash

Giving an accurate estimate of the machines value without checking it out is
impossible
since there are to many variables that affect the its value. The machine
weights around
2500 pounds, place a bid for its scrap value. If the machine is poor
condition you can
allways scrap it out and break even. If the machine has to be shipped to you
consider
the cost before bidding.

Good Luck.

Best regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

flash wrote:
Government auction - - - - what might this thing be worth?
I know what I'd like to have one.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1373830

It is a 1J turret mill, most likely R-8 spindle, 1 HP, no power
feed, doesn't look like a chrome ways machine but the pictures
are too small to tell. Looks WELL used, so assume the
leadscrews and ways have significant wear. If the spindle
bearings are shot, that could cost $350 to 700, depending on
where you get them.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-04, Jon Elson wrote:
flash wrote:
Government auction - - - - what might this thing be worth?
I know what I'd like to have one.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1373830

It is a 1J turret mill, most likely R-8 spindle, 1 HP, no power
feed, doesn't look like a chrome ways machine but the pictures
are too small to tell. Looks WELL used, so assume the
leadscrews and ways have significant wear. If the spindle
bearings are shot, that could cost $350 to 700, depending on
where you get them.

That's a military mill, that means that they used it lightly with high
probability.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ROFLMFAO..

Uh Iggy.. I sure as **** hope you were joking... When I was in the service
we beat the crap out of everything... If the machine wasn't lugging down and
the chips flyin off dark blue to red hot and smoking you weren't working it
hard enough...

For the O.P. 70's BP's in EXCELENT shape can be had in the $2500 range,
several years ago I purchased a totaly rebuilt '64 J head with X axis power
feed for $2000,.. and yeah I baby my BP...

The down side of buying amachine like that is that it IS a project in
itself... you ARE going to have to replace parts...

I wouldn't bid on it.. If I did I'd bid 100 bucks and when I lost I'd be
happy...

--.- Dave

"Ignoramus8571" wrote in message

That's a military mill, that means that they used it lightly with high
probability.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-04, Dave August wrote:
ROFLMFAO..

Uh Iggy.. I sure as **** hope you were joking... When I was in the service
we beat the crap out of everything... If the machine wasn't lugging down and
the chips flyin off dark blue to red hot and smoking you weren't working it
hard enough...

How often did you use your mill? Was 8 hours every day?

For the O.P. 70's BP's in EXCELENT shape can be had in the $2500 range,
several years ago I purchased a totaly rebuilt '64 J head with X axis power
feed for $2000,.. and yeah I baby my BP...

The down side of buying amachine like that is that it IS a project in
itself... you ARE going to have to replace parts...

Not necessarily.

I wouldn't bid on it.. If I did I'd bid 100 bucks and when I lost I'd be
happy...

Dave, you could be right and I could be wrong... I admit it... Just
3-4 months ago, I bought a mill of slightly older vintage (round ram)... The
gentleman (Rec.Crafts.Metalworking member) who bought it says that it
does not need any rebuild... It came from a factory.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,

Factories are much better than the Govt.

In a factory you have guys who care and plan on using the same machine for
10 years and a boss who worries about how much things cost.

In the Armed Services you have asswipes like me who just want the job done
faster so they can go hit the EM club and swig beer. The CPO or LTJG in
charge could care less, he's gonna rotate out in 6 months, all he want's is
the work done so HE looks good. Everybodies excuse is "That's how it was
when I got here"...

That machine looks like it's been "rode hard and put away wet"...

--.- Dave (403-029 what's YOUR service number)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave August wrote:

Iggy,

Factories are much better than the Govt.

In a factory you have guys who care and plan on using the same machine for
10 years and a boss who worries about how much things cost.

In the Armed Services you have asswipes like me who just want the job done
faster so they can go hit the EM club and swig beer. The CPO or LTJG in
charge could care less, he's gonna rotate out in 6 months, all he want's is
the work done so HE looks good. Everybodies excuse is "That's how it was
when I got here"...

That machine looks like it's been "rode hard and put away wet"...

--.- Dave (403-029 what's YOUR service number)

If you mean military ID number, mine was my Social Security number.
My primary MOS was 26T20, and no secondary MOS.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave August" wrote:

--.- Dave (403-029 what's YOUR service number)

MOS 6657 SSN for the ID.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 4, 12:52 pm, Ignoramus8571

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ups.com...
On 2007-10-04, Jon Elson wrote:

flash wrote:
Government auction - - - - what might this thing be worth?
I know what I'd like to have one.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1373830
It is a 1J turret mill, most likely R-8 spindle, 1 HP, no power
feed, doesn't look like a chrome ways machine but the pictures
are too small to tell. Looks WELL used, so assume the
leadscrews and ways have significant wear. If the spindle
bearings are shot, that could cost $350 to 700, depending on
where you get them.

That's a military mill, that means that they used it lightly with high
probability.

Good one Ig.

TMT

'Depends on which military. Shipboard lathes, especially the ones on
submarines, once had a reputation for being lightly used and good ones to
buy in the surplus market. OTOH, if you get an ex-Seabees lathe, it might
have been run 20 hours/day until it fell apart.

The best ex-military lathes are like the SB 10L that I have. Designed for
shipboard use, it has a heavier-than-standard base, both AC and DC motors,
and, in the case of mine, it was sold surplus to my ex-Seabee uncle, still
packed in Cosmoline, never having been used, in 1948. d8-)

BTW, that's the lathe that was packed in Cosmoline, not my uncle. He was
packed in gin. And he was heavily used.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ahh, yung uns...

Back in the"old days" ya got another number you'll remember for the rest of
your life...

--.- Dave

"Wes" wrote in message
"Dave August" wrote:

--.- Dave (403-029 what's YOUR service number)

MOS 6657 SSN for the ID.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave August" wrote:

Back in the"old days" ya got another number you'll remember for the rest of
your life...

My dad had one that started with RA (regular army) and a bunch of numbers,
iirc.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Dave August" wrote:

--.- Dave (403-029 what's YOUR service number)

MOS 6657 SSN for the ID.

Wes

6838367 service number when I joined, later changes to SSN

Howard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Dave August" wrote:

Back in the"old days" ya got another number you'll remember for the rest of
your life...

6112XXX USMCR, SIR!

Got that one free from Uncle Sam in 1965. Came with an all-expense-paid
vacation too.