Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Brushless and not dusty (brushless DC motors)

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Check out electric scooter and bicycle apps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one
brand I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Check out electric scooter and bicycle apps.

Saw some of them, 24v or so. Anything in the 90v class?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something
(followed by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP
brushless DC motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast?
There is one brand I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Check out electric scooter and bicycle apps.

Saw some of them, 24v or so. Anything in the 90v class?

Just for completeness, I was searching for BLDC, and found the Sieg
Super X3 uses a 1HP BLDC motor. But if you look at the schematics / part
list, they show it as being a 230V motor. Hmm, wonder if they boosted
the AC with a multiplier, then rectified it (PWM?).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

You may want to look by power output in watts -- it seems to me I've
seen "1kW" brushless motors, but no "1.4HP" ones.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:55:19 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Assuming you're looking for something moderately priced and don't need
a low inertia, high performance motor, look at MCG and the Panasonic A
Series.

Bodine and Oriental Motor have a few choices as well, but I don't
believe anything as large as what you're looking for.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...tors_servo.htm
http://www.motioncontrolgroup.com/pr...ushless-motors

Do you need an encoder, or just the commutation feedback?

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Assuming you're looking for something moderately priced and don't need
a low inertia, high performance motor, look at MCG and the Panasonic A
Series.

Bodine and Oriental Motor have a few choices as well, but I don't
believe anything as large as what you're looking for.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...tors_servo.htm
http://www.motioncontrolgroup.com/pr...ushless-motors

Do you need an encoder, or just the commutation feedback?

Bodine tops out about 1/2Hp.

Commutation? Does this apply to brushless?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Assuming you're looking for something moderately priced and don't need
a low inertia, high performance motor, look at MCG and the Panasonic A
Series.

Bodine and Oriental Motor have a few choices as well, but I don't
believe anything as large as what you're looking for.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...tors_servo.htm
http://www.motioncontrolgroup.com/pr...ushless-motors

Do you need an encoder, or just the commutation feedback?

Minas As top out at 400W/100V, they do have a 750W/200V though...

Model# MA34236
http://www.motioncontrolgroup.com/pr...34236/overview

Erk, they don't really ID the AC vs DC motors too well. They do have
some 590W 80vdc rated motors...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Assuming you're looking for something moderately priced and don't need
a low inertia, high performance motor, look at MCG and the Panasonic A
Series.

Bodine and Oriental Motor have a few choices as well, but I don't
believe anything as large as what you're looking for.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...tors_servo.htm
http://www.motioncontrolgroup.com/pr...ushless-motors

Do you need an encoder, or just the commutation feedback?

Bodine tops out about 1/2Hp.

Commutation? Does this apply to brushless?

BLDC motors are essentially 3-phase permanent magnet synchronous
motors. The most common drive scheme uses Hall sensors in the motor to
tell the drive the relative position between the motor's windings and
rotor. The drive responds appropriately to run the motor at the
commanded speed.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:55:19 -0500, the renowned Louis Ohland
wrote:

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Baldor has some nice ones up to 3HP, but probably not cheap.

http://www.baldor.com/products/servo..._brushless.asp

You know you need a special drive for them, right (not a regular SCR
drive intended for DC motors). The commutation is done externally and
electronically.

Wow, Bodine has a 115ac drive that puts out 320vdc.

Model vac PH HP kW vdc Adc
BMC6A04 115 1 1 0.75 320 4.0

http://www.baldor.com/pdf/literature/FL1210_Web.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to everyone that helped me get over the man-thing of
over-built... I don't see any brushless DC surplus, and their retail
price for 1HP is about the same as brushed DC.

I can't see a markedly superior performance of BLDC to PMDC.

wrote:

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something
(followed by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP
brushless DC motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast?
There is one brand I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Baldor has some nice ones up to 3HP, but probably not cheap.
http://www.baldor.com/products/servo..._brushless.asp

You know you need a special drive for them, right (not a regular SCR
drive intended for DC motors). The commutation is done externally and
electronically.

Wow, Bodine has a 115ac drive that puts out 320vdc.

Model vac PH HP kW vdc Adc
BMC6A04 115 1 1 0.75 320 4.0

http://www.baldor.com/pdf/literature/FL1210_Web.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Baldor has some nice ones up to 3HP, but probably not cheap.

http://www.baldor.com/products/servo..._brushless.asp

You know you need a special drive for them, right (not a regular SCR
drive intended for DC motors). The commutation is done externally and
electronically.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Baldor has some nice ones up to 3HP, but probably not cheap.

http://www.baldor.com/products/servo..._brushless.asp

You know you need a special drive for them, right (not a regular SCR
drive intended for DC motors). The commutation is done externally and
electronically.

Wow, Bodine has a 115ac drive that puts out 320vdc.

Model vac PH HP kW vdc Adc
BMC6A04 115 1 1 0.75 320 4.0

http://www.baldor.com/pdf/literature/FL1210_Web.pdf

Sure, 2 caps and a bridge rectifier and you've got ~300VDC, just like
in a pee-cee supply.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

You may want to look by power output in watts -- it seems to me I've
seen "1kW" brushless motors, but no "1.4HP" ones.

look up "astro flight" in california. They make some pretty serious cobalt
magnet motors, brushed and brushless.

There's another US maker of high performance motors on the east coast, the
name slips my mind, but they clearly sell motors and gearboxes for RC
airplanes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something (followed
by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP brushless DC
motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast? There is one brand
I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

You may want to look by power output in watts -- it seems to me I've
seen "1kW" brushless motors, but no "1.4HP" ones.

look up "astro flight" in california. They make some pretty serious cobalt
magnet motors, brushed and brushless.

There's another US maker of high performance motors on the east coast, the
name slips my mind, but they clearly sell motors and gearboxes for RC
airplanes.

Wow. Astro 3220 Brushless Motor 4kW to 6kW
http://www.astroflight.com/store/pdffiles/3220.pdf

Windings are available for operation from 24 volts DC to 144 Volts DC
8 turns 96 volts 47 amps 750 in oz 7,500 rpm 5.6 Hp 90%