Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Brushless and not dusty (brushless DC motors)

Thanks to everyone that helped me get over the man-thing of
over-built... I don't see any brushless DC surplus, and their retail
price for 1HP is about the same as brushed DC.

I can't see a markedly superior performance of BLDC to PMDC.

Louis Ohland wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:55:19 -0500, the renowned Louis Ohland
wrote:

Ever in search of the most extravagant way to do something
(followed by - They want HOW much?) I've been looking for a 1HP
brushless DC motor... Anyone have leads on such a mythical beast?
There is one brand I know of, the PowerTec, but they come big....

Baldor has some nice ones up to 3HP, but probably not cheap.
http://www.baldor.com/products/servo..._brushless.asp

You know you need a special drive for them, right (not a regular SCR
drive intended for DC motors). The commutation is done externally and
electronically.

Wow, Bodine has a 115ac drive that puts out 320vdc.

Model vac PH HP kW vdc Adc
BMC6A04 115 1 1 0.75 320 4.0

http://www.baldor.com/pdf/literature/FL1210_Web.pdf