Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Section modulus for T beam

I have a T beam web 6'-6"x3/8" thick, flange 31.5" x 3/4". The T beam
is 76'-6" long.Let me know if you can help to find the Section
Modulus.

thanks,

Ray

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
s.com...
I have a T beam web 6'-6"x3/8" thick, flange 31.5" x 3/4". The T beam
is 76'-6" long.Let me know if you can help to find the Section
Modulus.

thanks,

Ray

Break the cross section into two rectangles. Find the area of each and y, the distance
their centroids are from the bottom. Multiply the area of each by the y of each. Add those
up, then divide by the sum of the areas. That gives the centroid of the cross section.

Next, calculate the moments of inertia of each section, then use the parallel axis
transfer theorem to calculate their I at the centric of the cross section and add them up.

Now you can calculate the section modulus.

As I recall, that's how we did it in the old days, someone else will tell you the answer
from some computer program shortly!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rick" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
s.com...
I have a T beam web 6'-6"x3/8" thick, flange 31.5" x 3/4". The T beam
is 76'-6" long.Let me know if you can help to find the Section
Modulus.

thanks,

Ray

Break the cross section into two rectangles. Find the area of each and y, the distance
their centroids are from the bottom. Multiply the area of each by the y of each. Add

those
up, then divide by the sum of the areas. That gives the centroid of the cross section.

Next, calculate the moments of inertia of each section, then use the parallel axis
transfer theorem to calculate their I at the centroid of the cross section and add them

up.

Now you can calculate the section modulus.

As I recall, that's how we did it in the old days, someone else will tell you the answer
from some computer program shortly!

Must have been one hell of a dumpster you found THAT in!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.efunda.com/math/areas/IndexArea.cfm

Suggest that you do the manual calculation also to verify that they agree.

David Merrill

wrote in message
s.com...
I have a T beam web 6'-6"x3/8" thick, flange 31.5" x 3/4". The T beam
is 76'-6" long.Let me know if you can help to find the Section
Modulus.

thanks,

Ray

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 2, 10:16 am, "Rick" wrote:
wrote in message

s.com...

I have a T beam web 6'-6"x3/8" thick, flange 31.5" x 3/4". The T beam
is 76'-6" long.Let me know if you can help to find the Section
Modulus.

thanks,

Ray

Break the cross section into two rectangles. Find the area of each and y, the distance
their centroids are from the bottom. Multiply the area of each by the y of each. Add those
up, then divide by the sum of the areas. That gives the centroid of the cross section.

Next, calculate the moments of inertia of each section, then use the parallel axis
transfer theorem to calculate their I at the centric of the cross section and add them up.

Now you can calculate the section modulus.

As I recall, that's how we did it in the old days, someone else will tell you the answer
from some computer program shortly!

ANYBODY that knows of or has a proven subroutine to calculate the
section modulus of any reasonable cross section by spreadsheet, or
whatever, please let me know. I am sick and tired of doing this by
hand!!! A Tee section is tedious but straight forward; try an I-beam
section where each of the 4 flange legs is a different thickness!

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I highly recommend the program engineering power tools, at
http://www.pwr-tools.com/ Freeware version is very useful, and the full
version price is only $50. Has a section properties calculator where
you can draw arbitrary shapes, hollow or solid, and it will calculate
the moment of inertia and other properties. I checked a few geometries
by hand and they were fine. Also has a properties calculator for
several standard geometries, and I check them and found a bug, which the
author fixed quickly.

I drew this so that the base of the web was centered at (0,0), in
inches, so the top of the flange starts at (-15.75,78.75) and ends at
(15.75,78.75), and got these results:

Area 52.875
Xcg 0.00
Ycg 56.593
Ix 204440.
Iy 1953.83
Ixy 0.00
Ix0 35093.14
Iy0 1953.83
Ixy0 0.00
J 37046.98

Whe

Area - Total area (adjusted for any defined voids)
Xcg - Centroid of section (distance from X axis)
Ycg - Centroid of section (distance from Y axis)
Ix - Moment of inertia (about the X axis)
Iy - Moment of inertia (about the Y axis)
Ixy - Moment of inertia (about the XY axis)
Ixo - Moment of inertia (about centroidal X axis,
parallel with original X axis)
Iyo - Moment of inertia (about centroidal Y axis,
parallel with original X axis)
Ixyo - Moment of inertia (about centroidal XY axis)
Theta - Angle between the principal axis and the XY axis

Ix' - Moment of inertia (calculated at the specified
"Delta Angle from Principal Axis" )
Iy' - Moment of inertia (calculated at the specified
"Delta Angle from Principal Axis")
J - Polar moment of inertia about principal axis

Engineering Power Tools - Copyright 2002, Barry J. Opdahl

Hope this is useful.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl dott ijames aat verizon dott net

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 2, 10:16 am, "Rick" wrote:
wrote in message

s.com...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 2, 11:09 pm, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:
[...]

wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 2, 10:16 am, "Rick" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Carl,

Thanks very much!

I shall check it out and try it.

Wolfgang

Odd steel beam section size dg UK diy 5 February 9th 07 08:35 AM
Carpet Section [email protected] Home Repair 6 December 26th 06 08:40 PM
where is the vertical section Fred Electronics Repair 5 July 10th 06 12:19 AM
Where to buy a section of the garage? [email protected] Home Repair 6 February 16th 06 08:40 AM
TV RF Section Failure? Barry S. Electronics Repair 10 August 12th 04 05:06 AM