Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to buy a section of the garage?

I have a simple standard steel garage door with 4 pieces connected to
each by hinges. The top piece is damaged - cracked at the automatic
opener connection causing it to bend a little (like a hammock shape)
when being pulled up and cause extra strain to the up force and causes
it to stop once a while. It's pretty easy to remove by unscrew the
hinges. The only problem is - I COULDN'T find any place online that
sells just a piece of the door. Seems like nobody have just a piece
damaged that garage door manufacturers would bother to sell just a
piece or what??

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Here are a few other choices, maybe do both.

Swap the #3 and #4 panels if the it is only being deformed when
the closer is tugging on it.

Install an angle iron stiffener to the top of the top panel. It
could be attached with self drilling screws, pop rivets, or nuts
and bolts. try to make the closer attachment fasten to the angle
iron.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a simple standard steel garage door with 4 pieces
connected to
each by hinges. The top piece is damaged - cracked at the
automatic
opener connection causing it to bend a little (like a hammock
shape)
when being pulled up and cause extra strain to the up force and
causes
it to stop once a while. It's pretty easy to remove by unscrew
the
hinges. The only problem is - I COULDN'T find any place online
that
sells just a piece of the door. Seems like nobody have just a
piece
damaged that garage door manufacturers would bother to sell just
piece or what??

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a simple standard steel garage door with 4 pieces connected to
each by hinges. The top piece is damaged - cracked at the automatic
opener connection causing it to bend a little (like a hammock shape)
when being pulled up and cause extra strain to the up force and causes
it to stop once a while. It's pretty easy to remove by unscrew the
hinges. The only problem is - I COULDN'T find any place online that
sells just a piece of the door. Seems like nobody have just a piece
damaged that garage door manufacturers would bother to sell just a
piece or what??

Call a door contractor near you. Those panels are truck shipped, because
they are so long.
The contractor will tell you if you looking at a new door or if a panel is
even available.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/repl...-sections.html

In the comments box enter whether the door is insulated or not. If the door
is insulated what type of backer material is covering the insulation.
Specify if where the sections butt together has ship-lapped or tongue and
groove edges.
If you know the manufacturer of the door and it's model number it would be
even more helpful.

Rich
====================================
Garage Door Parts, LLC
973-472-4818

"DanG" wrote in message
Here are a few other choices, maybe do both.

Swap the #3 and #4 panels if the it is only being deformed when the closer
is tugging on it.

Install an angle iron stiffener to the top of the top panel. It could be
attached with self drilling screws, pop rivets, or nuts and bolts. try to
make the closer attachment fasten to the angle iron.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a simple standard steel garage door with 4 pieces connected to
each by hinges. The top piece is damaged - cracked at the automatic
opener connection causing it to bend a little (like a hammock shape)
when being pulled up and cause extra strain to the up force and causes
it to stop once a while. It's pretty easy to remove by unscrew the
hinges. The only problem is - I COULDN'T find any place online that
sells just a piece of the door. Seems like nobody have just a piece
damaged that garage door manufacturers would bother to sell just a
piece or what??

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did try to re-enforce the crack area with a 4" x 1/2" strip of metal
with 4 holes & 4 screws. It kinda helps but not much. After looking a
friend's home built by a reputable builder, I figured it out. Near the
top is a horizontal support bar that fits the whole width, screwed to
the 4 vertical beams. That definitely keeps the top section straight.
Guess the idiot who originally installed the garage wasn't really a
professional. The door is only 2 years old and already bent so I figure
even if I replace it with a new piece, it will bend soon or later
without the extra support bar. Now it's just a matter of finding a
similar bar ...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

The "bar" you are referring to is called a strut.
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/strut.html

You should also use a operator reiforcement bracket.
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/operator-brackets.html

Rich
====================================
Garage Door Parts, LLC
973-472-4818
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com
====================================

wrote in message
ups.com...
I did try to re-enforce the crack area with a 4" x 1/2" strip of metal
with 4 holes & 4 screws. It kinda helps but not much. After looking a
friend's home built by a reputable builder, I figured it out. Near the
top is a horizontal support bar that fits the whole width, screwed to
the 4 vertical beams. That definitely keeps the top section straight.
Guess the idiot who originally installed the garage wasn't really a
professional. The door is only 2 years old and already bent so I figure
even if I replace it with a new piece, it will bend soon or later
without the extra support bar. Now it's just a matter of finding a
similar bar ...

Two questions about security light above the garage door [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 26th 05 12:16 AM
How to build floor in garage attic? DK Home Repair 12 May 15th 05 01:58 PM
New internal Door into integral garage in a townhouse question Paul \( Skiing8 \) UK diy 5 January 4th 05 09:28 PM
Concrete Section Garage MrMark UK diy 8 November 26th 04 04:00 PM
Concrete Floor Question E5I5O Home Repair 9 February 17th 04 01:28 PM